Subaru Ascent towing - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2019, 12:44 PM   #81

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I test-drove the Ascent and really liked it, although the 8 passenger bench seat (2nd row ) does not lie completely flat. But today I read that it has a serious flaw for campers (and others)- you can't leave the hatchback open for any extended length of time or the battery runs down. As far as I can tell this was not fixed in the 2020. This would be a problem for me camping as I often keep things there and leave it open. I also do it at home when I'm loading things like recycling, camping gear, etc. Plus I imagine the same thing happens if you don't quite close it tightly.

FYI- I also drove a Honda Passport. Visibility is poor in the Passport overall- I don't know if that's an issue with the Pilot as well. It feels heavy and unresponsive compared to the Ascent. BUT.. the cargo area with seats down is absolutely flat and does not have huge gaps.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 01:04 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I test-drove the Ascent and really liked it, although the 8 passenger bench seat (2nd row ) does not lie completely flat. But today I read that it has a serious flaw for campers (and others)- you can't leave the hatchback open for any extended length of time or the battery runs down. As far as I can tell this was not fixed in the 2020. This would be a problem for me camping as I often keep things there and leave it open. I also do it at home when I'm loading things like recycling, camping gear, etc. Plus I imagine the same thing happens if you don't quite close it tightly.

FYI- I also drove a Honda Passport. Visibility is poor in the Passport overall- I don't know if that's an issue with the Pilot as well. It feels heavy and unresponsive compared to the Ascent. BUT.. the cargo area with seats down is absolutely flat and does not have huge gaps.
Thanks for the report, saves me some time in looking.
Old 09-03-2019, 01:14 PM   #83

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Bobbie don’t know if this applies but we own a 2012 Forester . When we purchased it our sales lady said to be careful with the roof light in the hatch . If we forget about it , it will run the battery down . She suggested just leave it off . The switch . We haven’t turn it on since 2012 . I know there are other changes like the tailgate etc. maybe they could just be turned off like the light ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:09 PM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Bobbie don’t know if this applies but we own a 2012 Forester . When we purchased it our sales lady said to be careful with the roof light in the hatch . If we forget about it , it will run the battery down . She suggested just leave it off . The switch . We haven’t turn it on since 2012 . I know there are other changes like the tailgate etc. maybe they could just be turned off like the light ? Pat
I'm checking on it. I know in the Forester that's the case (mine is also a 2012) but this sounds like it runs down because everything in the car stays activated if the hatch is up. Not just that light. (Which won't run the battery down that fast but mine is also off.) Apparently it can't be turned off, at least, not in the 2019s. Checking with Joe Spitz, the Cars101 Subaru guy. Apparently some other makes have similar systems but put in an inactivity shutoff so it won't run down.

The 2020 tailgate was changed, though, so it is possible they fixed that problem, but it isn't mentioned in changes (not surprising since they wouldn't want to advertise an earlier model had a problem.)
Old 09-03-2019, 02:17 PM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
as I leave my tailgate open all night at star parties, my last wagon, a 1992 volvo 740, I put red LED in the rear dome light I also put LEDs in the front dome light, and the in-door safety lights.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #86

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Subaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
When I purchased my Grand Cherokee, it did not have a factory brake controller installed. As part of the sales negotiation, I had the dealer pay for, and install, a Tekonsha brake controller. I wanted the dealer to do the work as I figured they knew the wiring the best. Plus this costs them very little compared to retail cost to me.

Also had them include a third chipped key. The key costs them very little but the retail price is obscene.

Also had them include the factory roof rack. Again, a low cost item for them but high cost retail for me.

When you’re buying a car, everything is negotiable.

They readily agreed to all of these low cost items. A few hundred dollars to them, but probably a thousand to me.

Your Subi is a super choice.
I did the same on setting up the Highlander to tow this last time. Worked well for us. Saw an Ascent towing a fairly large fold-down on I90 in South Dakota. My old Venture was GVW at 2900 and weighed all of that on many family trips so the Ascent and a 15 should be a viable combination.
They are nice looking. If every cup holder had an empty can or bottle in it you’d be able to cash in for almost $2 in Michigan.
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 02:20 PM   #87

https://www.torquenews.com/1084/new-...u-dead-battery

This one says it is the light (and an off-switch would solve it assuming there is one.)

But these say it is more:

https://robservatory.com/dont-buy-a-...r-tailgate-or/

https://www.carcomplaints.com/Subaru..._battery.shtml
Old 09-03-2019, 02:25 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I did the same on setting up the Highlander to tow this last time. Worked well for us. Saw an Ascent towing a fairly large fold-down on I90 in South Dakota. My old Venture was GVW at 2900 and weighed all of that on many family trips so the Ascent and a 15 should be a viable combination.
They are nice looking. If every cup holder had an empty can or bottle in it you’d be able to cash in for almost $2 in Michigan.
Towing reports are good. Apparently the CVT is beefed up a lot more than for the older, smaller vehicles. Definitely a pleasure to drive.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:56 PM   #89

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Towing reports are good. Apparently the CVT is beefed up a lot more than for the older, smaller vehicles. Definitely a pleasure to drive.
Sounds like your on top of this Bobbie . Those of us who have a Subaru , love our Subaru’s .
That Accent is a beauty ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 03:26 PM   #90

Trailer: 2019 17B; 2011 Tundra 5.7L Dbl cab
Quote:
I test-drove the Ascent and really liked it ... But today I read that it has a serious flaw for campers (and others)- you can't leave the hatchback open for any extended length of time or the battery runs down. As far as I can tell this was not fixed in the 2020. This would be a problem for me camping as I often keep things there and leave it open. I also do it at home when I'm loading things like recycling, camping gear, etc. Plus I imagine the same thing happens if you don't quite close it tightly.
Great report, thanks! I really like the Ascent - test drove one, like how it feels & handles. Could pull my upcoming 17B, or my 2-horse trailer.

Re the battery drain issue - it's been discussed at length in a FB group I follow ("Dog Sport Vehicle Ideas & Set-ups"). These folks leave their tailgates open for many hours at a time, and some have then been stranded out in a field or wherever the event was happening. Some, in frustration, finally got aftermarket battery-disconnect switches installed.

I hoped the 2020 would include such an override/disconnect mechanism, or some other way to address this. However, there's no "buzz" on the FB group that that's happened - as you have also found. Too bad.

Currently, the tailgate issue is moot for me, as I don't need to leave doors open in my vehicles, other than for loading/unloading.

However, since I'm a newbie to trailer camping, I'll need to feel that out.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #91

Trailer: 2019 19'
I own a 2019 Ascent and am towing a new 19' Escape trailer that we picked up in early June. So far we have towed the trailer at lest 4,000 miles from the west coast to our home on the east coast in Massachusetts. The Ascent tows well and ascends hills nicely without too much trouble. I have a few minor concerns: the first may be with our car individually. We have had to replace two batteries (the Ascent tends to drain the battery and then refuses to turn the engine over) again this may be individual to my car and Subaru has been very good about working with me on resolving the issue. The other very minor issue is that premium gas is recommended 91 octane or better. The milage is about 15 mpg towing and 25 mpg highway. So it is not cheep to run, but it does run well and seems to power up mountains highways nicely.
Richard Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #92

Thanks, Richard.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #93

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Follow Up On Ascent Towing Experience

Rich,

It sounds like you used just the regular OEM installed hitch for your Escape Trailer. Any lessons learned about using the as-installed hitch? What brake controller did you decide to install?

My wife and I recently purchased and Ascent are in looking to buy the Escape 19 as well. While we currently live on the East Coast near DC, we are both from the West Coast and are planning to re-locate west soon. We love the Ascent, but not a lot of posts out there about how it does with Escape Trailers that I have found. Any insight about towing an Escape 19 with your Ascent would be appreciated for us newbies.

Greg
gmartin78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #94

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Full Quiver"; 2018 Ford F 150 3.0l Turbodiesel
Send a message via MSN to Berndad Send a message via Yahoo to Berndad
F 150 Powerstroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Traveler View Post
I am rather infatuated with the new F150 3.0L diesel super cab 6.5 ft bed, 4x4. Would tow my 17 ft Casita SD with ease.
I got my F 150 3.0 liter turbocharged diesel by waiting! paid considerably less than any similar gas 2019 Lariat comparing prices at 3 different dealers and on line by getting a 2018 left over this June. Love the truck which gets 22 mpg on my daily commute and averaged 15 mpg on our 5000 mile maiden Voyage towing our 2019 Escape 19 from Chilliwack down the coast to northern California (ouch those 55 mph mandatory tow speeds hurt!) across Utah , up to Wyoming thru Colorado and then home by way of North Dakota, Minnesota and back thru the midwest to VA.
My wife and youngest daughter spent a total of 5 weeks and 8000 miles in the truck and both loved it! They drove out and picked me up in Seattle.
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...attach/jpg.gif
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5099.jpg  
Berndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 12:13 AM   #95
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndad View Post
I got my F 150 3.0 liter turbocharged diesel by waiting! paid considerably less than any similar gas 2019 Lariat comparing prices at 3 different dealers and on line by getting a 2018 left over this June. Love the truck which gets 22 mpg on my daily commute and averaged 15 mpg on our 5000 mile maiden Voyage towing our 2019 Escape 19 from Chilliwack down the coast to northern California (ouch those 55 mph mandatory tow speeds hurt!) across Utah , up to Wyoming thru Colorado and then home by way of North Dakota, Minnesota and back thru the midwest to VA.
My wife and youngest daughter spent a total of 5 weeks and 8000 miles in the truck and both loved it! They drove out and picked me up in Seattle.
I'm curious, could you post a photo of the GVWR/payload rating plate on that beast?

or, whats the curb weight, whats the GVWR, and whats the rated tongue and tow weights ?
Old 10-26-2019, 12:26 AM   #96

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
whats the curb weight, whats the GVWR, and whats the rated tongue and tow weights?
Here's a good start.
https://www.google.com/search?q=spec...hrome&ie=UTF-8
Old 10-26-2019, 02:23 AM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
yeah, no, I want to know the GVWR on THIS specific trucks plate, not some Road and Track fantasy numbers.
Old 10-26-2019, 11:55 AM   #98

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berndad View Post
I got my F 150 3.0 liter turbocharged diesel by waiting! paid considerably less than any similar gas 2019 Lariat...
Quote:
I'm curious, could you post a photo of the GVWR/payload rating plate on that beast?

or, whats the curb weight, whats the GVWR, and whats the rated tongue and tow weights ?
If you scroll down the F-150 Lariat web page far enough, you can see some specs for a 4X4 SuperCrew with 5.5' box (145" wheelbase) and PowerStroke engine (I assumed 4X4 because that's what everyone buys here):
  • curb weight: 5,271 lb [+]
  • GCWR: 16,000 lb or 17,100 lb (depending on options) [* ]
  • trailer weight rating: 10,100 lb (with 16,000 lb GCWR) or 10,700 lb (with 17,100 lb GCWR) [-]
  • GVWR: 7,050 lb [* ]
  • payload: 1,720 lb [-]
+ = for this cab and engine combination but base, not Lariat; actual will be higher
- = for this cab and engine combination but base, not Lariat; actual will be higher
* = regardless of trim

The minimum base curb weight for a 4X4 F-140 is 4,330 pounds, and a SuperCrew PowerStroke is 5,271 in base trim and without other options... that's half a ton, and shows that the specific configuration is important.

It looks like here is no higher-payload option for trucks with the PowerStroke diesel, since there is only one GVWR listed; the diesel is so heavy that the truck only comes with what the higher-capacity parts when this engine is selected. I tried out the online build tool, and didn't find how to get the higher GCWR; the max trailer tow package is not available with the diesel.

This is a lot better than some general F-150 specs (for the wrong cab, box, engine, etc), but a specific truck will still have substantially higher curb weight and thus less payload due to trim level and options. This, presumably, is why John is asking for more specific ratings.

Of course, this is all not about a Subaru Ascent. Aside from being a completely different vehicle, there is very little configuration choice with the Ascent or other typical SUVs, compared to a pickup truck, making it much simpler to understand the towing capacity.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:45 AM   #99

Bern's Beast

Quote:

Here you go, The GCWR was just over 18K for 2018 model when the Ford dealership looked it up, confirmed on a Ford website that I have since lost track of,sorry:

Sorry they are upside down, still haven't mastered the art of taking photos, I have read several of the threads on how, but no matter how I rotate in my Microsoft or Nikon editing software they still appear wrong with stripped meta files?
Even taking with my phone on landscape with button to the Right has not woked for me as suggested by Donna D, sometimes I get lucky...
Hopefully one of the kind editors will take pity on me again!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6353a.jpg   IMG_6354a.JPG  
Old 10-27-2019, 11:48 AM   #100

Sooo, I get 1406 lbs of payload and tongue weight, still a lot more than the 2016 Honda Pilot we also tow with discussed in another thread.
This Beast barely knows the trailer is there.

Tags
subaru ascent towing