Towing 19 with toyota tacoma will I need WDH systems - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 02-23-2020, 11:23 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Towing 19 with toyota tacoma will I need WDH systems

I never used a WDH system. My Tacoma has added Firestone airbags in the back to reduce sag. I put these on to tow my casita. I really don't want to add the weight if a WDH system unless its a must.


truck has 6,400 lb towing capacity Max. Tongue weight 640 lbs




escape list the ball weight at 290lbs with options i guessing at 385-400lbs but if i use a average from John Vermilye spread sheet for 19 2nd gen ball weight would be 495lbs



duel 6 volts and storage box on front. Air and solar



I wish escape would list teh weight of each option so i had a idea of what this trailer would weigh with my options



If i really need one what model would the best setup. They also list they will not install on air suspensions
__________________

NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Glacier, Washington
Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Posts: 72
Towed a 19 Escape with a 2009 Tacoma for 8 years with no WDH but firestone airbags. Over 40,000 towing miles and no problems. Currently towing a 21 Escape with a new Tacoma and only Firestone airbags. Truck and trailer heavily loaded as we spend 4 to 5 months traveling each winter. Cruise around 60 for mileage and safety reasons. So far (9000 miles) , no problems.
__________________

sprinkledavid@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: near Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2005 Casita 17 Deluxe
Posts: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
...I wish escape would list teh weight of each option so i had a idea of what this trailer would weigh with my options ...
TIP - take a look at / download the "Inventory" sheets on the ETI site for trailers of the model(s) of interest.

While most of those are 'options loaded' they do vary some and at the bottom of the Build Sheet they list both the "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)" and "Shipping Weight" which varies from build-to-build. I might be wrong but IMO it's likely that the "Shipping Weight" is a pretty good outside value for the actual as-built trailer weight.

Personally I don't pay too much attention to mfr 'dry' tongue weights. I know from experience I'm gonna trim for ~12% (minimum) of the gross loaded trailer weight on the un-hitched tongue, with or without a WDH, for the inherent anti-sway characteristics that provides. If you've been trailering with a Casita you've probably got a good idea of your typical 'gear + fluids + fuel' load to add to trailer empty weight for then getting to a target tongue weight range.

I, too, tow my 17' Casita without a WDH behind my Ridgeline that's "rated" for up to 600# tongue weight. The Ridgeline with independent rear suspension can't use airbags as I did on my F150 to 'tweak' things for perfect night headlight aim. FWIW I expect to use a WDH IF I end up with an Escape 19. BTDT with WDH on previous rigs, not that big of a deal except hitching in rain or extreme heat when every moment doing any 'work' outdoors is miserable

All just for your consideration
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,250
Your weight can vary by each trip, it will never be the same all the time. suggest you get a Sherline tongue weight scale for at home and weigh your trailer at least once while loaded at a truck scale, that should give you a baseline. My E19 tongue weight was close to 600# when full loaded. If your trailer/truck is not level then you will need a w/d set up. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...s%2C150&sr=8-6
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 617-ipFJ+1L._SL1206_.jpg (92.3 KB, 18 views)
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
TIP - take a look at / download the "Inventory" sheets on the ETI site for trailers of the model(s) of interest.

While most of those are 'options loaded' they do vary some and at the bottom of the Build Sheet they list both the "Trailer Dry Weight (Base)" and "Shipping Weight" which varies from build-to-build. I might be wrong but IMO it's likely that the "Shipping Weight" is a pretty good outside value for the actual as-built trailer weight.

Personally I don't pay too much attention to mfr 'dry' tongue weights. I know from experience I'm gonna trim for ~12% (minimum) of the gross loaded trailer weight on the un-hitched tongue, with or without a WDH, for the inherent anti-sway characteristics that provides. If you've been trailering with a Casita you've probably got a good idea of your typical 'gear + fluids + fuel' load to add to trailer empty weight for then getting to a target tongue weight range.

I, too, tow my 17' Casita without a WDH behind my Ridgeline that's "rated" for up to 600# tongue weight. The Ridgeline with independent rear suspension can't use airbags as I did on my F150 to 'tweak' things for perfect night headlight aim. FWIW I expect to use a WDH IF I end up with an Escape 19. BTDT with WDH on previous rigs, not that big of a deal except hitching in rain or extreme heat when every moment doing any 'work' outdoors is miserable

All just for your consideration

Thanks that good info I dint even notice it right at teh bottom of my build sheet


Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your weight can vary by each trip, it will never be the same all the time. suggest you get a Sherline tongue weight scale for at home and weigh your trailer at least once while loaded at a truck scale, that should give you a baseline. My E19 tongue weight was close to 600# when full loaded. If your trailer/truck is not level then you will need a w/d set up. https://www.amazon.com/Sherline-LM-1...s%2C150&sr=8-6

I might have to get one of those they look handy
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:53 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
gbaglo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Vancouver, British Columbia
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Posts: 14,452
If you get a Sherline scale, specify that you want the 1,000 lb. gauge. It is easier to read and more accurate in the middle of the range. I replaced the 2,000 lb. gauge that came with my Sherline.
__________________
2009 Escape 17B "Toad"
2008 Toyota RAV4 V6 Sport
North Vancouver, British Columbia

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 11:53 AM   #7
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Central, Pennsylvania
Trailer: Escape#4, 2019 Escape21 DejaView pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 21,250
That link I posted was the 1000 lb unit......
__________________
Jim
"Never in doubt,..... often wrong!"
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 01:25 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Doug2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: London, Ontario
Trailer: EX 2007 Escape 17B, 2020 E 19' on order
Posts: 413
I had a 2008 Tacoma DC 4X4. We didnít a WDH with the Escape 17B. Towed fine, no problems.

I traded to a 2017 4Runner, I needed the WDH. To bouncy, the hitch fixed that.

We just bought a 2019 Tundra DC 4x4 4.6L to tow our new 2020 E19. I didnít even really think about it, I added the WDH to the build sheet. I might need it, I might not. Iíll probably only use it on the long hauls.
__________________
2020 Escape 19 still in Chilliwack
Trailer #6 was a 2007 Escape 17B
2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L 4X4 DC
Following TravellingRobert on Youtube
Doug2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Seattle, Washington
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Posts: 17
You will really need to weigh your axles both front and back when hitched. I tow with a 2016 Taco & though it towed relatively level the rear axle was over weight and the front significantly under. After adding a WDH I have dialed everything in to be within spec for the truck.
We have a 19’ moderately loaded & it tows fine, you really don’t Want to be light on your front axle & lose steering & braking performance.
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:56 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
AKCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 451
We put blue sumo springs in our 2017 Tacoma and tow our 2016 Escape 19 with the pro series WDH that Escape sells. I like the combo, nice ride empty and I like the way it tows.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:12 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Opelika, Alabama
Trailer: 2012 19
Posts: 76
Pay attention to how much weight you have in the truck (including tongue weight) as it is easy to overload the Tacoma. You may be able to put some heavy items in the trailer.
Graham
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 10:13 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by gyuill View Post
Pay attention to how much weight you have in the truck (including tongue weight) as it is easy to overload the Tacoma. You may be able to put some heavy items in the trailer.
Graham
Opelika Al





Yes i aware of the low cargo weight capacity. that is one reason I rather not add the weight of WDH unless i have to.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:35 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Yes i aware of the low cargo weight capacity. that is one reason I rather not add the weight of WDH unless i have to.
Not sure if this will help, but the WDH I got from ETI seems to weigh under 40 lbs, including the bars. I can carry the thing around and install it myself with no trouble. Of course, if you're already on the edge with payload, 40-lbs can make a difference...
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 12:38 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
Not sure if this will help, but the WDH I got from ETI seems to weigh under 40 lbs, including the bars. I can carry the thing around and install it myself with no trouble. Of course, if you're already on the edge with payload, 40-lbs can make a difference...



witch model did you get they sell 3 but i was looking at the fast way E2
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:09 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: White Bird, Idaho
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Posts: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
witch model did you get they sell 3 but i was looking at the fast way E2
Yes, Fast away is the one we have.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:07 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Posts: 45
We have towed a 2009 19 with 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD with no WDH or airbags for about 16 000 miles in mountains, wind, rain and mud with canoe or two kayaks on truck. Never had any squat or sway issues. Only drive about 60-65 mph. Gas mileage really drops with anything on top of truck.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:29 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Naples, New York
Trailer: 2007 Casita Spirt Deluxe
Posts: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post
We have towed a 2009 19 with 2010 Tacoma Double Cab Long Box TRD with no WDH or airbags for about 16 000 miles in mountains, wind, rain and mud with canoe or two kayaks on truck. Never had any squat or sway issues. Only drive about 60-65 mph. Gas mileage really drops with anything on top of truck.
Gas mileage what do you get?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:34 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
AKCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Juneau, Alaska
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Posts: 451
A friend of mine bought a Tacoma just like ours and an escape 19 just like ours he towed it from Anchorage Alaska to Escape Trailer industries without a weight distribution hitch he had one put on at escape and said the difference was amazing he’ll never tow without one
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:56 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19', 2010 Toyota Tacoma TRD DCLB 4X4
Posts: 45
We get about 12 mpg US.
smac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 07:19 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: N/A, Montana
Trailer: N/A
Posts: 2,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by smac2 View Post
We get about 12 mpg US.
Is the 12 MPG during the winter ? I know with our vehicles that we lose 3 to 5 MPGs when the temps get down in the single digits/ below zero .
__________________

steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×