What type of hitch do I choose? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Towing and Hitching
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2020, 11:15 AM   #41

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Thank you. I placed the order just waiting.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 10:55 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We got our barely-used E21 because the prior would-be purchaser showed up with a Subaru Outback that had a class II hitch, no 7-blade. Sometimes I wonder, other times I'm sure.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
For 2020, the Frontier has a different engine and transmission; in an amusing coincidence, it has 49 more horsepower than before. Not buying a new vehicle based on the specifications of a previous version doesn't make a lot of sense... although of course if you are looking at a used Frontier (or a 2019 still in stock) the previous engine would be relevant.
Sample media coverage: 2020 Nissan Frontier Gets New Engine, Same Looks
Yes, but as I understand it, torque remains the same on the new 3.8 as it was on the old 4.0. I'd like to hear about some real world experiences with the new engine before committing to the Frontier.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:45 PM   #44
Site Team

indeed, torque is more important for towing, and also the RPM at which that torque is generated. what you really want is a broad torque curve so there's a lot of torque across the whole useful RPM range, and not just a tall peak at some high RPM.

my F250 is only like 250 HP or something, at 3000 RPM, but its 525 lb-ft at 1600 rpm. it tows best in the 2000 RPM range.
Old 09-07-2020, 04:48 PM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
indeed, torque is more important for towing, and also the RPM at which that torque is generated. what you really want is a broad torque curve so there's a lot of torque across the whole useful RPM range, and not just a tall peak at some high RPM.

my F250 is only like 250 HP or something, at 3000 RPM, but its 525 lb-ft at 1600 rpm. it tows best in the 2000 RPM range.
Sounds like a nice setup, probably with ample space and payload capacity left in the truck for whatever won't go in the trailer.
cityofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 04:54 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityofdestiny View Post
Sounds like a nice setup, probably with ample space and payload capacity left in the truck for whatever won't go in the trailer.
yeah, pretty hard to fill up a 8' longbed with 2000lb plus payload

I frequently travel with a rather large astronomy telescope, my Tacoma, the basic kit would fill most of the bed.

in the F250, the same gear barely dents the space.

(ok, there's a chair in the tacoma picture which sisn't in the other.... OTOH, that 7' stepladder had to go on the roof of the tacoma)
Old 09-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #47

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
indeed, torque is more important for towing, and also the RPM at which that torque is generated.
Those two points are the same thing. Engine torque doesn't matter at all - torque only matters at the wheels. That torque multiplied by speed is power, and so for the engine it is only power that matters. To be conveniently and comfortably driveable, the power needs to be available at a reasonable speed, and this is where people get into comparing torque specs... and getting confused.

Quote:
what you really want is a broad torque curve so there's a lot of torque across the whole useful RPM range, and not just a tall peak at some high RPM.
I agree that the range in which power is available is important, but whether that range is 1500 to 2000 RM (like a big truck diesel) or 4500 to 6000 RPM makes no difference to performance... as long as you don't mind hearing an engine running at that speed.

If the new Frontier engine puts out the same peak torque as the old one, but can put it out to a higher speed, than you can use a lower gear ratio (of which there are now nine) and get more torque to wheels... which is all you need.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #48

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Please let me know make/model of weight distributing hitch you are using with a Tacoma pulling a 17B. I have been using a basic ball mount only and do get some porpoising that I would like to eliminate.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:42 PM   #49

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I got the Pro Series WDH that ETI sells for $350 ( I think ). Mine does not have sway control. Been using it for 12 years on my 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport. It's the least expensive WDH, yet does a great job, improving ride and security.
I'm using it on my 2020 Highlander once I get it adjusted for height.
Old 09-14-2020, 04:57 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I used the pro series on our 19 the whole time we had it towed with both the 2012 and 2018 Highlanders.
Worked great. When we got the 21 it came with the Anderson. No problems with that system either. No porpoising with either unit even on “dippy” roads. The harmonics just never developed.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #51
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMabey View Post
Please let me know make/model of weight distributing hitch you are using with a Tacoma pulling a 17B. I have been using a basic ball mount only and do get some porpoising that I would like to eliminate.
I'd highly recommend the Road Master Active Suspension system specific to your Taco. I had a set installed on my 2015 Tundra CrewMax and noticed the change immediately.

Although it doesn't eliminate porpoising completely (maybe up to 90%), the improvement in ride and control is very significant - both towing with a loaded truck and when my Tundra is being used unloaded. (We use a Fastway E2 hitch system when towing our rig).

There's numerous videos on YouTube that review this setup. I'm convinced as have others on this forum. Worth a look.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 05:27 PM   #52

@gbaglo and @Iowa Dave Is this the Pro Series you alluded to: https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc..._600_lb_,49568

@Ops I will check out the Road Master system as well.

I am extremely price conscious, so just want a basic unit, as I just had to get a new fridge to the tune of CDN $2850 (with tax and labour) and I am still hurtin' from that. ��
Old 09-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
@gbaglo and @Iowa Dave Is this the Pro Series you alluded to: https://www.reese-hitches.com/produc..._600_lb_,49568

I'm guessing it is, but mine came installed by ETI. Pieces look familiar. I went to Escape site to see what they are charging now, but got lost looking.

Anyway, you're half way to Chilliwack so why not talk to ETI. I think the one you link to is the same hitch but more than ETI charges.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I'm guessing it is, but mine came installed by ETI. Pieces look familiar. I went to Escape site to see what they are charging now, but got lost looking.

Anyway, you're half way to Chilliwack so why not talk to ETI. I think the one you link to is the same hitch but more than ETI charges.
Thanks, I just emailed Dustin to see what they carry. Will report back here with product and price.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:12 PM   #55

I don’t think the Escape hitch is a “genuine” Reese product but instead a Chinese knockoff.
That said, it worked for our 19 very well. The Pro Two used “over center spring bars” with a chain to secure the setting. You learn how tight you want the bars and reference which link on heavy chain goes in the notch. In our case it was the fifth link and as i checked my hookup I could easily seen four links hanging free. On the Anderson you tighten down large nuts on a wide pitch eye bolt. And your reference is how many threads are showing out of the back of the bolt. This makes the tension virtually infinitely adjustable so it’s a little more precise than the big chain links. Again, you have to learn what works best relative to your vehicles suspension and tongue weight. That tongue weight can vary somewhat depending on how much cargo is in the trailer, where the cargo is located, whether or not you have fresh water and sewage (grey or black) in those tanks and whether or not you have something (Like bikes) hanging on the camper rear receiver. Either hitch or the Fastway works fine, they don’t take that long to hook up and besides ,hooking up your trailer is better than working.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #56
Site Team

my 08 Tacoma, I put the Firestone RideRite airbag kit on it, quite inexpensive. leave it at 5psi normally, and under max load, maybe 40 PSI, you can pump it up with a good bicycle pump, or a tire inflator. I used separate air valves on the left and right side which minimizes side to side lean on turns. general idea is, measure height of bumper or fender rim on empty truck, then after loading, add sufficient air to bring the truck back up to that same level. hugely improved the ride of the Taco. I also put upgraded Bilsteins on it, but if I did it again, I think I'd use Rancho 7000 shocks, instead. My Tacoma was a "TRD Off Road" 4x4, 6' bed with access cab.
Old 09-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes, that might be it, but that's a round bar design and the one sold by Escape is (or at least was at one point) a trunnion style.

The trunnion style is a little more expensive than the round bar style (because it uses two additional parts instead of just bending the spring bars up at the head end), but allows a little more ground clearance (because the spring bars come straight into the head instead of curving up from below the head).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I don’t think the Escape hitch is a “genuine” Reese product but instead a Chinese knockoff.
Pro Series is a genuine brand name of the company (currently called Horizon, and formerly Cequent) which also owns the Reese, Draw-Tite, and Hidden Hitch brands (as well as Tekonsha, Bulldog, etc). That website linked above, on the other hand, is not a genuine Reese website: it is for a distributor which carries Reese products but is not part of the manufacturer. The genuine Reese website is https://www.reeseprod.com/

The genuine Pro Series website no longer lists any WD systems... which may be why Reese-hitches lists the Pro Series WD system linked above as "out of stock". The same part number is available from Reese directly, with the Reese brand name; it even says "Pro Series" in the description (someone missed that ).

The "600 pound" basic trunnion hitch from Reese (probably the same thing sold as a Pro Series by Escape) is part #66540.

Any product from this company may be made in any country. I don't know if any of their WD systems, for instance, are made in North America.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #58

Wow Brian, thanks for the research and the write up I had no idea it was all so complex. Guess that’s international conglomerate business. All that research and confirmation from Escape in exactly what they are selling at the minute should help folks decide what they want. As I posted we had the Pro Tow sold in 2010 and the Anderson sold in late 2013 an both performed well. I have heard positive and negative comments on both. Too heavy, too hard to adjust, squeaky clunky etc on one side and well built, quieter than my old one, easy to use, stays adjusted trip to trip. It’s all over the board like most product reviews.
My favorite reviews are the ones that say “haven’t used it yet but came well packaged”!
Iowa Dave
Old 09-20-2020, 11:44 AM   #59

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Hello All,
I have an E21 on order. I just recently Learned of WD Hitches. I have read some positive comments, light weight, ease of use and adjustment, about Andersen no sway hitches, so I am leaning in that direction. I have a low mileage 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3L with towing package. As per the Andersen Fitment Guide the measurement from the ground to the inside top of my receiver is 15 & 1/4 inches. I believe the dimension from the ground to the bottom of the coupler on an E21 is over 20" and even greater with a High Lift Axle. Would any E21 owners be so kind as to provide that measurement for both the Standard axle and the High high Axel. I am considering the High Lift Axle as I live near salt water and would want to remove and touch up any rust that may form on the frame. It would also make it easier, I believe, to adjust the Electronic Brakes.

Recently there was a post of an E21 owner with a Andersen Model 3380 for sale. It is listed as an 8"drop/rise but has a 2 5/16" ball. I thought the E21 coupler accepts a 2" ball. Please correct me if I am wrong.
What model Andersen Hitch are current E21 owners using? I have no Idea as to what size Brackets to use.

Finally Escape offers (2) sway control hitches, The Equalizer pro series 600lb Trunnion, and the E2by Fastway WDH. I could find little information about either online. I would appreciate any information owners could provide.
Thank you, Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 12:48 PM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe the standard hitch ball height on Escapes is 19" with a 2" ball..........