RV park recommendations near Disneyland - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Campgrounds, Waysides and Resorts
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2023, 09:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
RV park recommendations near Disneyland

We are looking at RV parks near Disneyland for a trip next September.

Looks like Harbor RV park is close enough to walk ( and avoid parking fees ). Anyone have any experience with them or other recommendations?

Also, we’d be arriving on a Monday and leaving to universal studios on Friday, I think I can manage LA area traffic by driving through it mid-day. If someone has a recent experience that would be helpful to hear. I’ve driven in LA a bunch of times, but never towing a trailer.

Thanks for any suggestions.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Note I10 is completely closed in a stretch downtown LA which is creating a huge mess everywhere else.

The RV parks we looked at around Anaheim were pretty bad, most were fully packed with permanent residents. Last time we were there we stayed at an Elks Lodge but you have to be an Elk to RV there, and it was across the street from an elevated freeway that had heavy traffic all night long.

If you do find yourself walking to Disneyland, instead go to the Disneyland Hotel and catch the Monorail which takes you deep into the park.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 08:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

Looks like Harbor RV park is close enough to walk ( and avoid parking fees ). Anyone have any experience with them or other recommendations?

Also, we’d be arriving on a Monday and leaving to universal studios on Friday, I think I can manage LA area traffic by driving through it mid-day. If someone has a recent experience that would be helpful to hear. I’ve driven in LA a bunch of times, but never towing a trailer.

The park would work well enough as a place to crash, but I wouldn’t go for a stroll from there. Be safe and catch a Uber.
Orange-land RV park is a bit further away but way worth the extra Uber fee.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 09:04 AM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I forwarded your question to my daughter who worked at Disney for a couple years, her answer;

The only thing I have to say is that is not a recommended walk. You are close to walk but you walk on harbor crossing over the overpass that people get on and off the 5. And at night people unfortunately regularly are killed as they walk harbor from people getting off 5.

She recommends a taxi or Uber . Disney has had several cast members killed walking form vehicles existing 5. She says the RV Park looks okay but has never been inside.
occer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2023, 10:19 AM   #5

Thanks for the answers and insight, guys!

A satellite view of Harbor and Orangeland shows the latter has trees and more space, the former is pretty tight parking. I haven’t checked Orangeland pricing yet, but I will after I confirm dates/times with my stepdaughter.

Uber or Lyft it is. I hadn’t considered a rideshare, but I do know there’s a lot of traffic in that area. Better to pay for a shuttle than take the risk walking or pay for parking. Orangeland is only 3 miles away.

Thanks again!
Old 11-22-2023, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Team

absolutely you want to be ubered to the Disneyland Hotel, *NOT* to the Disneyland main entrance. The parking lot is a mile across...

whaddaminute. looking at Google 'satellite' view, it appears they've changed things all up. where the massive parking lot used to be is now Disney California Adventure Park, and there's a drop off pull-through thats only about 900 ft walk to the entrance kiosks. OK, I'll admit, its been 20 years since I've been to Disney, my kids never much cared for the crowds and noise.
Old 11-23-2023, 08:02 AM   #7
Site Team

https://rvlife.com/disneyland-rv-park/

At the bottom of this link are several RV parks and a description of each.
Old 11-24-2023, 01:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C "S.S. Iceburg"
First, I've driven through L.A. many times with my camper. At 10 MPH, it really doesn't matter if your towing or not! :-D i.e. It's an unpleasant experience but doable no matter what you're driving.

There's an entrance off of Harbor Blvd for buses, taxies, and ride-shares to pickup and dropoff and it's close to the entry gates for both parks.

Urban areas aren't really for camping. I know of just two places I'd recommend in O.C.. Newport Dunes Waterfront Resort & Marina is near the beach and not a very long drive from Disneyland, although far enough it'd be cheaper to unhitch and pay parking than to rideshare. The other good camping spot is O'Neill Regional Park. It's a nice mountain forested area. It's very affordable ($20) and beautiful, but a good distance from Disneyland and you'll get some motorcycle noise from the road.

Aside: Be sure to buy your tickets online and well in advance! There's no on-site ticket sales anymore, and they limit sales per day. If you wait until the morning you want to visit, you may not be able to get a ticket.
kernwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2023, 04:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Another change when I was there last year.
Most of the food concession in the parks no longer have cashiers you order your food on an app on your phone and pay for it on your phone. When you place your order there is number and when your number is called you go up to the counter and pick up your food. It eliminated most of the long lines to just order your food. It worked well.

The stores and hotel cafeterias still have cashiers but in the stores you can scan and pay on your phone and not have to wait in line. It amazing how fast you can spend money!
Old 11-24-2023, 05:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Disney knows how to separate money from patrons......
Old 11-24-2023, 07:15 PM   #11

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. I’m looking forward to having my wallet lightened.
Old 11-25-2023, 10:24 PM   #12
Site Team

also, i've heard from my formerly disneyholic adult friends, there's all these systems now for special tickets and passes that get you ride reservations, that if you expect to just wander around and wait in line for rides like the old days, you'll spend 90% of your time in lines that never move and might only get 2-3 rides/attractions in a whole long day there.
Old 11-29-2023, 10:37 AM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

We pull our E19 through all of LA pretty frequently (on our way to San diego from the East Bay). As mentioned, lots of slow traffic so it's actually not that challenging (just slow). We try to get into LA around noon or 1pm and be done by 2:30 or 3pm (avoiding rush hour as much as possible). I avoid needing gas in LA (stop before the grapevine and have enough to reach your destination). We use I-5 or I-405 most of the time, tho occasionally go further east (avoiding Hwy 1 or 101 from the north as i find those entrances to LA more harrowing) and just rely on Google maps to get the best route given real time accidents/traffic etc. I do my best to avoid driving through either direction on Fridays as those seem the worst. The number of freeway traffic lanes changes frequently as you go along; I avoid the far right-hand lane as there's too much merging/people cutting in and out in front of you dangerously. It often works for me to follow a large semi-truck that is moving along well, and just leave the proper spacing. People in a rush (most other drivers in LA) will then decide to pass both of you so I get fewer folks cutting in and forcing me to brake....Overall, it's an exercise in patience and mindfulness, but we've never had a problem...good luck!
jeffhaltiner is offline   Reply With Quote