David’s Favorite Campsites - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2024, 01:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Arrow David’s Favorite Campsites

Please see the 'backstory' here.

A few months ago, David sent me a wonderful document he wrote, here's the opening paragraph:
David’s Favorite Campsites

As my camping career draws to a close, I wanted to share some of my tips and locations of favorite campsites in the Southwest. We’ve been camping for 25 years, much of it in southern Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas and have developed a list of our favorite national and state parks and the best campsites in them.

David has now given his blessing to make this document, replete with beautiful prose and pics, available to the forum community on his behalf.

Too large for attaching here, this link to my Google Drive should allow anyone to view or download the 18-page PDF file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NSL...ew?usp=sharing

Thank you, David.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Regarding the closing paragraph:
I hope you will find this useful in learning about and planning trips to southern Utah. I don’t know how much longer I’ll be around, but as long as I’m still here I’ll be happy to answer questions and share more information about these places.

David Murphy .... January, 2024

Unfortunately, at this point in his journey, David is unable to answer further questions.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 E19
That's a great document! It covers a lot of areas we plan to explore in the coming years. A big thanks to David for being gracious enough to use some of his final time to put that together for the community. Also thanks to Alan for making it available for us all!
Chamberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 02:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post

A few months ago, David sent me a wonderful document he wrote, here's the opening paragraph:

As my camping career draws to a close, I wanted to share some of my tips and locations of favorite campsites in the Southwest. We’ve been camping for 25 years, much of it in southern Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, and Texas and have developed a list of our favorite national and state parks and the best campsites in them.

David has now given his blessing to make this document, replete with beautiful prose and pics, available to the forum community on his behalf.

Thank you, David.
What a wonderful testament to the contribution David has made to this forum.

Thank you David for writing this, and Alan for publishing it.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Thanks Alan and especially David.

I have just transcribed all of the pertinent places, for us, to the April/May planning guide I'm compiling.

Many thanks David for this additional info to what you've already suggested for us.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:57 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Wow, thank you David.
Old 03-15-2024, 06:13 PM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Thanks for sharing! We will do our best to honor this great gift.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 06:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018 19'
Very helpful review. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:01 PM   #9

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
Wonderful document! We will definitely refer to it when we start traveling the US more.

Thank you, David!
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 11:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you so much, Alan! I was among the many who received advice on campsites from David. This document will be as cherished as it will be used. Thanks again!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 12:59 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)

Thank you Alan and David. I very much appreciate this article!
Old 03-16-2024, 02:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Rockwood 2318G
Thank you both a million times over. I'm planning a longer trip out west in 2025 and this document will be invaluable. A wonderful read with outstanding photography.
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 10:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:

Thank you, David.
Yes, indeed, thank you, David! A very grateful “thank you” to Alan too for sharing this with all of us. You both embody the generous spirit that makes this forum such a special place!

We are heading to southern Utah later this year, and our excitement for our first trip to visit the Mighty Five national parks is bolstered by the fact that a couple of our campground reservations are for sites David loves. I can say for the sites we will camp in where David also stayed and enjoyed so much, we will be thinking of him as we appreciate the same beauty that inspires him.

We are still waiting for the reservation window to open in Dead Horse Point, so David’s detailed write up for this campground will be put to good use.

Again, thank you very, very much for giving us this gift, David and Alan!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #14

Trailer: N/A
Many thanks for sharing this document, which David obviously put a lot of love and efforts into compiling. It will be extremely useful, starting with the trip I am planning to Utah in August!
claude6543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 04:34 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Thanks to David for writing up his experiences and recollections.

We're heading out that way (AZ, UT, CO) next month—not with our Escape, but by train, both ways. But we'll be renting a car, and will be visiting many of the places he describes. I'm sure David's perspective will be invaluable in helping to inform our own.
Old 03-16-2024, 06:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Thank you Alan and David.

I’ve always loved the photos of the Murphys' 5.0 interior and best of all the cats enjoying the scenery. David once gave me advice about cat-camping. I still haven’t tried taking the cats with us but when I do, it will be with the spirit and in honor of David Murphy :-) Also I want to include my cats in our portrait photos from now on because his has always been especially charming.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2024, 08:16 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
That's very nice! I'll look forward to downloading it when I get home from my current trip.
Old 03-17-2024, 10:01 AM   #18

Trailer: 21
Thank you David And Alan much appreciated
Old 03-17-2024, 10:05 AM   #19

Trailer: Owner of a 17A since April 2019
Quote:

Too large for attaching here, this link to my Google Drive should allow anyone to view or download the 18-page PDF file:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NSL...ew?usp=sharing
Alan - thanks for sharing this with us.
David - I've been a member since purchasing my 17A back in 2019. I've learned a lot from your postings and I sincerely appreciate all the camping destinations I harvested from you. I was sad to hear about your "back story" and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

My wife and I just retired last year (early in order to enjoy life) and we're leaving Tuesday for Dead Horse, Goblin Valley, Goosenecks area, so this document was very helpful and reinforces my previous research. Thank you again and best wishes.
endorice is offline   Reply With Quote