A fond farewell from David Murphy - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2024, 03:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
A fond farewell from David Murphy

When I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer early in 2022, it went badly at first and for a couple of months looked like my days were very numbered. I despaired at the thought never getting to go camping again. But I learned quickly to never say never - things improved and we were able to take a two month trip that fall. Then my luck got even better - my cancer kept responding well to treatment, and we were able to take two more trips last year. Four months in chemo and two months on the road sort of became the new normal, and it began to feel like that would last forever.

Alas, although I have more than doubled the normal life expectancy for this cancer, early this year things took a turn as this disease finally followed its normal progression. The chemo became ineffective and my cancer began growing back stronger than ever and spreading to other organs, so I am kind of in the bottom of the ninth inning now. I don't know when I will enter the final, difficult stage of this but I wanted to say my goodbyes, and a few other things, here while I am still coherent.

When we first discovered Escape trailers 6 or so years ago I immediately joined the forum and learned a million things that made our purchase decision and build sheet process much easier. After we got our trailer and began traveling and camping, the forum was an incomparable source of technical information and help when problems arose - no matter what goes wrong, it seems there are always several people who have had the same problem and others who are very knowledgeable about whatever issue anyone has.

But as we got a few years down the road and became very knowledgeable about our trailer and were much better equipped to just enjoy the camping experience, it was being a part of the Escape family that made that experience so much better. Over the years it has been such a joy to get to know forum members online and then cross paths with them in our travels - first by chance, and then on purpose. Meeting up with other forum members and sharing a campfire or hike together has truly been the best thing about being an Escape owner.

I wish I could have met more of you in person, but I am grateful for all the wonderful experiences I have had on the forum and out camping with some of you. I hope it doesn't seem like too much of a downer for me to post this now, but I wanted to be able to say these things while I can. Keep smiling, keep camping, keep sharing, and keep helping each other!

David
Old 03-11-2024, 03:19 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Keep smiling, keep camping, keep sharing, and keep helping each other!

David
This sage advice is what we will remember most, David. You are truly an inspiration. Thank you for all you’ve done to help us - this little community that cares a great deal for you. You are a very good person, one of the best. Wishing you all the peace you can get at a time like this.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
David,

When I first joined the forums a few years ago you were the very first person to respond to my first-ever posting. Because of you, and many others, my family is now enjoying quality time together traveling around the country in our Escape 5.0.

Thank you so much for all you have done for us...and many others.
MD-Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:43 PM   #4

Trailer: SOLD: 2005 17A; was waiting on a 2023 21C; found a 2017 21C - YAYAYAYAY!
David,

I have really enjoyed your posts and living vicariously through your travels. You are always a great help to everyone on this forum. I hope your "ninth inning" will be a long one (lots of balls, no strikes, a few walks and some home runs) that allows you spend more time with your family.

Thank you for your wisdom and kindness on the forum. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

Michelle
mlowther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 03:53 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
David thanks for your encouraging example in life, and your helpful forum posts. I know I will continue to pray for you until the end. It will come for all of us at some point. I know many won’t care, but I hope all know Jesus. I also wish Mary the best as she makes further adjustments in life. Thanks for your part in the Escape family.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:58 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Thanks for sharing David,

It was great to see that you were able to spend a lot of quality time on the road.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
What a wonderful post, David! Our paths have never crossed, but you have always been such a kind and gentle person on the Forum! Good luck in your continued battle and know there are many prayers winging your way!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 04:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
David, You have been an inspiration to many and have given me great advice over the years. I so appreciated all of it and have loved following your travels. We will be keeping you and Mary uplifted in prayer as you navigate this journey.
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:28 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
David,
We met in Arches NP a few years back while camp hosting, so I can say that Arches is just a bit better place thanks to your trips there. The red sands will not forget you.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:49 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
When I was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer early in 2022, it went badly at first and for a couple of months looked like my days were very numbered. I despaired at the thought never getting to go camping again. But I learned quickly to never say never - things improved and we were able to take a two month trip that fall. Then my luck got even better - my cancer kept responding well to treatment, and we were able to take two more trips last year. Four months in chemo and two months on the road sort of became the new normal, and it began to feel like that would last forever.

Alas, although I have more than doubled the normal life expectancy for this cancer, early this year things took a turn as this disease finally followed its normal progression. The chemo became ineffective and my cancer began growing back stronger than ever and spreading to other organs, so I am kind of in the bottom of the ninth inning now. I don't know when I will enter the final, difficult stage of this but I wanted to say my goodbyes, and a few other things, here while I am still coherent.

When we first discovered Escape trailers 6 or so years ago I immediately joined the forum and learned a million things that made our purchase decision and build sheet process much easier. After we got our trailer and began traveling and camping, the forum was an incomparable source of technical information and help when problems arose - no matter what goes wrong, it seems there are always several people who have had the same problem and others who are very knowledgeable about whatever issue anyone has.

But as we got a few years down the road and became very knowledgeable about our trailer and were much better equipped to just enjoy the camping experience, it was being a part of the Escape family that made that experience so much better. Over the years it has been such a joy to get to know forum members online and then cross paths with them in our travels - first by chance, and then on purpose. Meeting up with other forum members and sharing a campfire or hike together has truly been the best thing about being an Escape owner.

I wish I could have met more of you in person, but I am grateful for all the wonderful experiences I have had on the forum and out camping with some of you. I hope it doesn't seem like too much of a downer for me to post this now, but I wanted to be able to say these things while I can. Keep smiling, keep camping, keep sharing, and keep helping each other!

David
I will always send firefly's your way you have been such a positive, inspirational person.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 05:52 PM   #11
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
David,
I have enjoyed your insights and benefited from your advice.
Thanks for being an important part of this community.
All the best
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 06:39 PM   #12
AlB

Trailer: 2020 Casita Liberty Deluxe
I still have great memories of you and Mary stopping at our house to show us your brand new 5.0 on the way home from Chilliwack. April 21, 2019 - almost five years ago now, seems like forever. Definitely something to look out my front windows and see one of those parked across the street.

Just one typical example of the all the stuff you've done for people here that you didn't have to do. Especially in that case where you were that close to home after a long first trip and had to be ready to get there.

I'm very glad that you got the time you got, and sad at the same time that things are turning out this way. I hope and pray things go as well as they can from this point forward.
AlB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:05 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Keep smiling, keep camping, keep sharing, and keep helping each other!

David
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
David,
We met in Arches NP a few years back while camp hosting, so I can say that Arches is just a bit better place thanks to your trips there. The red sands will not forget you.
I saw this from Alan and had to add that we are heading to Arches NP later this year. We will keep you in our thoughts there, David, and know we are in a very special place.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 19'
Your wisdom & humor are what make this forum a great experience. I am glad to have had the privilege to read your posts and sorry I didn’t get a chance to sit around a campfire with you.
Old 03-11-2024, 07:40 PM   #15

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
David,

Thank you so much for posting this.

I came to this forum as a complete newbie to towing & RVs. You were one of those who patiently answered my many questions & concerns, which allowed me to believe that I could handle a 5.0 & that it was the right rig for me. Your posts about your cats have been especially enjoyable.

You & Mary will remain in my prayers.

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 07:42 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
If not for the one and only Cat Man I would never have taken this journey.
All will eventually be going with you, but few with your True Grit…
Attached Thumbnails
FullSizeRender.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:27 PM   #17

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Thank you for your wisdom, your engaging comments and for sharing your adventurous kitties with us. They always seemed to speak a thousand words about the beautiful locations they were enjoying.

God Bless!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 08:27 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
David,
Peace to you and those who love you.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 09:15 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
David, such sad news. I had hoped that you would beat the odds and have a few more years to enjoy being with Mary, the kitties, and going places in the Escape. I am one of those who never had the good fortune to met up with you and Mary on the road, although you and I conversed many a time. May your remaining days, however many they are, be peaceful. I can say with a great deal of certainty that many here will remember what a helpful and friendly forum “neighbor” you have been. Vaya con Dios, mi amigo!
Old 03-11-2024, 09:38 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
David, Although we have never met, you have touched us (and a lot of others) in very thoughtful, supportive and important ways. We wish that your remaining days are comfortable and peaceful.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote