Can I get a flat tire - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2023, 09:11 AM   #21

Trailer: 21
The decision is up to you on how long one trusts them. You have a large investment ridding on 9 yr old tires. I’ve always replaced tires at 5 or 6 yrs old depending on mileage. I don’t want to have to worry about tires blowing out possibly wrecking my whole rig and possibly be the cause of someone else being injured. This is just my opinion. Have safe travels.
Old 05-04-2023, 09:17 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Heavyweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: shlm2umac... Remember "There's a lot riding on those tires"!!! Seeing the cracks running around in the tread groves after 5 years sent me straight to the tire dealer. He wanted to put another set of "China bombs" on the trailer. I had to plead and educate him on the Made in USA., Goodyear Endurance tire. When I went back to get the trailer with the new rubbers on he tells me how much heavier those tires are. Maybe 7-10 lbs. each, and 40 bucks more a tire. Our 5.0TA is worth it though!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
I’ve always considered the additional weight of a tire a plus not a negative! It went somewhere in belts, in steel or in rubber. I have had tires that were balanced and not technically overloaded but when going down the road they were squirrelly due to the flexing.
And 160 or 200 bucks ain’t nothing when you amortize it out over 40,000 miles and 5 tires. I rotate mine, usually at each 8,000 miles and put the spare in the mix. It is a shame to let a spare age out though. Waste not want not. The best is none too good and Ask the man who owns one. Words from my dad lo those many years ago. See you in September I’ll bring a left and a right and both the same size and my Tarp.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-04-2023, 09:59 AM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I rotate mine, usually at each 8,000 miles and put the spare in the mix. It is a shame to let a spare age out though. Waste not want not.
What pattern do you use for rotation? I plan on doing it but have read about all sorts: front to back, cross pattern, include the spare... From my time in the motorcycle industry, it was taboo to change the directional rotation of a tire due to how the belts were laid and how the tire "settled in" after several thousand miles. Not sure if that is true for trailer tires.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:07 AM   #24

I’ve posted this in the past and had responses from readers. Everything from thanks to you’re totally wrong. However after wearing out a set of marathons at 40,000 miles towed and a set of endurance from 42,000 miles towed I guess I’m sticking with what I’ve done.
Spare to right rear
Right rear to right front
Right front to left front
Left front to left rear
Left rear to spare tire holder.
Right is as you look at the trailer from the behind as in all machinery EXCEPT a manure spreader. You don’t want to stand behind one of those ever.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-04-2023, 10:25 AM   #25

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by shlm2umac View Post
There are no visible cracks, they are at 35 lbs. The tires are Carlisle, and we are driving from Pitt Meadows in BC to Everson in the US. approximately 25 miles. All flat.
Everyone has different comfort levels. Mine is based on owning many trailers since I was a teenager and having used tires older than 9 years. Sometimes my trailers sat for a year or two between uses. My guideline has always been if there's no visible evidence of cracks etc. then use the tire.

I've never had a trailer tire failure.

I know the area you're contemplating travelling in and wouldn't personally worry about using the existing tires. Again, it all comes down to comfort level. Don't do it if your stomach would be in a knot. If you do decide to use them put 50 psi in them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 ATC 31'
Quote:
There are no visible cracks, they are at 35 lbs. The tires are Carlisle, and we are driving from Pitt Meadows in BC to Everson in the US. approximately 25 miles. All flat.
Personally, I'd replace those 9-year-old tires as soon as possible. They will probably survive the 25 miles home if you stay off the freeway, but there is high risk of failure if you take it on a trip. I've had well maintained tires with no cracks fail at three years of age. Goodyear Endurance are good tires.
2020 31' ATC Toyhauler
CE Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 02:49 PM   #27

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by CE Vogel View Post
Personally, I'd replace those 9-year-old tires as soon as possible. They will probably survive the 25 miles home if you stay off the freeway, but there is high risk of failure if you take it on a trip. I've had well maintained tires with no cracks fail at three years of age.
It's your choice, but I've never had a tire fail due to age, and due to relatively low annual use on some vehicles I have routinely driven on ten year old tires. Of course I don't use generic crap trailer tires. The probability of failure of a 9-year-old tire of a reputable brand in good condition is probably similar to the probability of being hit by lightning.

If anyone is so terrified of failure that they feel that they must carefully drive directly to a tire store, then why would they risk even that drive... they should take the wheels off the trailer and take them to a tire store.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 03:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
I’m buying a 5.0 that’s been sitting for quite a while. I’m concerned that when I move it I’ll have a blowout from “dry rotting.” Anyone know how to fix this problem?
Hi: shlm2umac... Well you now have the knowledgeable one's comment, but yes you can get a flat tire!!! It's easier on old tires. They aren't like wine... and don't improve with age. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:26 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
If anyone is so terrified of failure that they feel that they must carefully drive directly to a tire store, then why would they risk even that drive... they should take the wheels off the trailer and take them to a tire store.
Brian that's exactly what I did with our single axle 5.0 when I bought my first Endurance tires, not that I was concerned about moving the trailer, tires were not dangerously old, but it was easier to do than take the trailer to Winnipeg. Wish I could jack up the TA the same way. I did however switch front axle tires on each side to rear axle by lifting one side, due to some uneven wear.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:40 AM   #30

Hi Adrian
On the 21 when I need tires I make two trips. Of course it’s not as far as from your place to Winnipeg.
On the first trip I leave the tires and go get lunch and on the second trip I get ice cream. Only happens every three to four years or so but still a treat. Rex retired but the new guy is good too. He’s been at Collins road Goodyear for some years now. Hope all is well with you and Beth.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-05-2023, 04:17 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Adrian
On the 21 when I need tires I make two trips. Of course it’s not as far as from your place to Winnipeg.
On the first trip I leave the tires and go get lunch and on the second trip I get ice cream. Only happens every three to four years or so but still a treat. Rex retired but the new guy is good too. He’s been at Collins road Goodyear for some years now. Hope all is well with you and Beth.
Iowa Dave
We are well. Beth was through your state two days ago enroute to visit Claire. We were both supposed to go but two of our kids needed help at the same time. Next Monday my soon to be no longer Thunder Bay son, kids, his father-in-law two dogs and I are leaving here for Prince Rupert BC, pretty well as far west and north as you can drive in BC, by water only about 40km from Alaska. They are moving there and I'm helping with two vehicles going. Daughter in law is already there working. I'll be flying to join Beth about the 16th.

Hope all is well with you and Rita, say hi from us, will miss you at Thomson this year.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 06:46 PM   #32

We’re looking forward to Thomson this fall. Been out a couple times last month and looking forward to more travel this season than the last three. Muon sure gave those children wings and they are using them.
Iowa Dave