Does waxing improve longevity or is it just for looks? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2023, 09:07 AM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I look at my Escape as I would with any other vehicle I own! Washing and routine waxing helps preserve it's appearance, be an automobile or a trailer.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:34 PM   #22

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Having owned fiberglass boats that have lived long lives in the water, I have seen that the fiberglass can degrade and soak up water if not protected by bottom paint.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 07:10 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfish View Post
Having owned fiberglass boats that have lived long lives in the water, I have seen that the fiberglass can degrade and soak up water if not protected by bottom paint.
Unfortunately it's not the bottom paint that prevents osmosis and blisters etc. The osmosis and blisters may be caused by several factors including the type of gelcoat and lingering solvents.

Now days the gelcoats are much more water resistant and folks routinely use an epoxy sealer or barrier coat to prevent osmosis.

It's unlikely that osmotic blisters would form in a trailer shell as it isn't subjected to the water pressure of being immersed.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2023, 11:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Unfortunately it's not the bottom paint that prevents osmosis and blisters etc. The osmosis and blisters may be caused by several factors including the type of gelcoat and lingering solvents.

Now days the gelcoats are much more water resistant and folks routinely use an epoxy sealer or barrier coat to prevent osmosis.

It's unlikely that osmotic blisters would form in a trailer shell as it isn't subjected to the water pressure of being immersed.

Ron
I'm not qualified to argue about that. Just trying to make the point that fiberglass isn't as invincible and permanent as many believe.
Kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 04:11 AM   #25

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Zep floor wax dries in less than 30 minutes at 75F, or about the time it takes me to go around the camper.

If you had to reapply as often as 1-2 years and stored inside I'd say your use of PolyGlo wasn't as good as our current Zep. Our campers sit outside 24/7/365.

Zep and PolyGlo are basically the same products, but with different advertising. I've used both, and aside from price, really didn't see a difference.

Enjoy,

Perry
what zep product are you using? I see they have a high traffic polish used on no wax floors, but I can't find a plain floor wax.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:08 AM   #26

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
what zep product are you using? I see they have a high traffic polish used on no wax floors, but I can't find a plain floor wax.
This is the other polish product they have.
I’ve been cleaning and prepping, you want the surface to be as blemish free as possible. The polish seems to magnify everything that you missed.
In between coats when you see some small particle has fallen onto the surface and dried underneath the previous coat just remove it and seal right over the spot.

Sure would’ve been easier if I’d gotten right on it after bringing it home.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0658.jpg   image.jpg  
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 08:40 AM   #27

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
My gallon of Zep Floor Wax is at least 8 years old. Apparently they’ve changed the name to Zep High Traffic Floor Polish. That’s probably just the advertising department wanting a better sounding name.

When I last waxed our 5.0 two coats of Zep Floor Wax (now High Traffic Floor Polish) were applied and 1 coat of Zep Wet Look (three coats up front though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
I’ve been cleaning and prepping, you want the surface to be as blemish free as possible. The polish seems to magnify everything that you missed.
In between coats when you see some small particle has fallen onto the surface and dried underneath the previous coat just remove it and seal right over the spot.

Sure would’ve been easier if I’d gotten right on it after bringing it home.
I waited three years before applying.

You need to do a perfect job of cleaning and prepping or else you’ll look at that waxed-over piece of dirt until you strip and reapply. The cleaning and prepping took longer to complete than applying Zep wax. I apply at 70-75 F and it was always dry before applying the next coat.

Enjoy,

Perry

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2023, 02:41 PM   #28
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jontom View Post
I would imagine that the clear coat protection over the paint is much like the automotive industry standard....
there is no clear coat or paint on an Escape trailer, they are molded fiberglass with a gelcoat, which is a thick thermo-setting epoxy or polyester resin, that you polish directly.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote