Tire longevity & replacement recommendations - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I can say for sure that you want to replace them before they look like this. We pulled into Moab a few years back and when I was getting set up in the campsite I saw this. Clearly I had been negligent in checking my tires thoroughly and regularly, a mistake I will never make again. We were lucky that time, there was a tire shop in Moab and we were able to get new tires. Had we been way out in the boonies it would have been white knuckle driving until we got to civilization and a tire shop - I think I got perhaps 99.99% of the usable life out of those tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Tire 1.jpg   Tire 2.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 08:41 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I can say for sure that you want to replace them before they look like this. We pulled into Moab a few years back and when I was getting set up in the campsite I saw this. Clearly I had been negligent in checking my tires thoroughly and regularly, a mistake I will never make again. We were lucky that time, there was a tire shop in Moab and we were able to get new tires. Had we been way out in the boonies it would have been white knuckle driving until we got to civilization and a tire shop - I think I got perhaps 99.99% of the usable life out of those tires.
Are those trailer tires? That one spot is down to the belt cords while there is usable tread on the other side.

I've seen that on trailer tires before but it was because the carcass had developed a bubble. On a vehicle, it would have been a really bad alignment problem.

Do you know what caused this?
Old 09-15-2019, 08:49 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Are those trailer tires? That one spot is down to the belt cords while there is usable tread on the other side.

I've seen that on trailer tires before but it was because the carcass had developed a bubble. On a vehicle, it would have been a really bad alignment problem.

Do you know what caused this?
Yes, these were on our old stickie fifth wheel. I don't recall the brand, they were trailer rated tires and while I don't recall how old they were they definitely had some years on them. I asked at the tire shop what might have caused that and they didn't have a definitive answer. The replacement tires held up fine for a number of years until we sold the trailer so I suspect it was a problem specific to that tire.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #24

If you think my tires were bad you should see my hiking boots....didn't quite make it to the end of the trip
Attached Thumbnails
What would Brett do.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 10:48 AM   #25

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Help me understand this. Trailer tires wear out faster than truck tires?
Hmm, you would be really shocked by the lack of mileage out of motorcycle tires. 7k miles out of rears and 14k miles out of fronts.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
Hmm, you would be really shocked by the lack of mileage out of motorcycle tires. 7k miles out of rears and 14k miles out of fronts.
No I wouldn't - currently own a shovelhead and a 650 dual sport. Been riding since I was 14, been through a lot of bikes.

Small contact area and lots of horsepower equals short tire life. Not much you can do about that.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:17 AM   #27

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
In the case of my 21, Goodyear left the trailer connected to the truck & jacked each side (by the frame, not axle). I don't know how they do a 5th wheel...
They did the same on my 5.0TA last summer, one side at a time, same way I work on the wheels. What screws you up is the foam, I made a bracket for the floor jack.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:23 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
They did the same on my 5.0TA last summer, one side at a time, same way I work on the wheels. What screws you up is the foam, I made a bracket for the floor jack.
I hadn't even thought about the foam being in the way of a jack....I have one of those Trailer Aid drive-on ramps for my own use in adjusting brakes etc., but I probably won't always take it on the road with me on long trips. I'll have to check out jacking points and rethink that, would hate to have to figure it out the first time on the side of the road needing to change a flat.
Old 09-15-2019, 01:25 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farther View Post
hah, my bmw, I'd be lucky to get 5-7K out of both, using sport-touring rubber. sportbikes running sport rubber are likely to get no more than 2-3K

if your fronts last 14k, you're not cornering near hard enough
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 02:25 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Help me understand this. Trailer tires wear out faster than truck tires? Why?

I replaced the trailer tires on my Casita with LT truck tires - they are still on that trailer and doing fine after many miles and more than a few years.

The Carlisles that came on this trailer are doing good but I'm still tempted to replace them when it comes time with LT's just because of my past experience with the China Bombs.

Are the Goodyear Endurance equal to the LT's such that I could go with them instead?
Good article from Tire Rack about the differences in tire types:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 03:31 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Good article from Tire Rack about the differences in tire types:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=219
Good article but it is a comparison between ST and P rated tires. P rated and LT rated tires are very different.

I wouldn't run P rated tires on my trailer either.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:14 PM   #32

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Help me understand this. Trailer tires wear out faster than truck tires? Why?
  1. Most trailers are equipped with tires which are barely big enough to meet load requirements; most cars and light trucks have tires sized more for appearance and perhaps handling than for load capacity.
  2. Tandem-axle trailer tires are scrubbed sideways in every turn.
  3. Most trailer tires are the cheapest round rubber things that can pass industry standards.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 05:15 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Yes, these were on our old stickie fifth wheel. I don't recall the brand, they were trailer rated tires and while I don't recall how old they were they definitely had some years on them. I asked at the tire shop what might have caused that and they didn't have a definitive answer.
It certainly looks like it was dragged with a locked brake.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:18 PM   #34

Quote:
I wouldn't run P rated tires on my trailer either.
If you do run P-type tires on a trailer, remember to divide the rated tire load capacity by 1.1 to get the capacity when used on a truck, van, or trailer. ST, LT, and commercial tires don't need this de-rating.
Old 09-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
On our BMW motorcycles 5-7,000 is all we get for mileage, cost almost $200/ tire. Of course these are speed rated tires and spend quite a bit of time on their sides not just the square bottom tread.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:14 PM   #36

Trailer: 2018 19'
Thanks for the good advice. I may have worded the original post to suggest I was only going by an arbitrary mileage number. My intent was to ask if 24000 miles is a short time to need new tires. Some have answered that so thank you. Looks like the Goodyear endurance or the maxxis are the top choices. Now to find them in boise. Shot a couple of pics of both tires. Sure are some unheard of brands here such as towstar (les swab) or thunderer (big o). Again thanks for SOME of the helpful responses 😁
Attached Thumbnails
AE283D5F-9A16-400D-9329-42C75E4FF34C.jpg   39BF1DB1-EB1F-47B6-B0BE-CE57EB3B646C.jpg  
Old 09-15-2019, 06:31 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mucram View Post
Thanks for the good advice. I may have worded the original post to suggest I was only going by an arbitrary mileage number. My intent was to ask if 24000 miles is a short time to need new tires. Some have answered that so thank you. Looks like the Goodyear endurance or the maxxis are the top choices. Now to find them in boise. Shot a couple of pics of both tires. Sure are some unheard of brands here such as towstar (les swab) or thunderer (big o). Again thanks for SOME of the helpful responses 😁
That's what my Carlisles looked like too after 2 years. The outside edge was especially worn. One source I read said it was caused by under inflation but I always kept them at 50 psi as recommended.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
That's what my Carlisles looked like too after 2 years. The outside edge was especially worn. One source I read said it was caused by under inflation but I always kept them at 50 psi as recommended.
Yep, me too.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
No comment just pass the popcorn.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-16-2019, 10:41 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Wow! That's some seriously uneven wear. I'd be a bit hesitant to chalk that up to the tires themselves, since it looks like only about a quarter of the tire did all the work.

Underinflated tires can cause uneven wear, but in that case it would be both shoulders with excess wear and a relatively unworn middle.

If it's just one tire unevenly worn, I'd say something might have gotten tweaked/misaligned in the suspension or something. If it's all 4... well, I guess it could just be a symptom of the relatively primitive suspensions on travel trailers not having good camber control under varying loads. If it's the inside on both wheels on one side and the outside on the two wheels on the other side, you may be unevenly loaded.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote