To Wax, or not to Wax, that is the question - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2017, 05:10 AM   #61

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I like the #50, works well, only went to Star Brite polish as it lasts longer although the #50 gives a better finish. In my limited experience, the cleaner removes light marks, oxidation, and bug stains. This is my 2nd year with Star Brite, I found I had to use a straight cleaner before it.

The trailer was mostly uncovered the last 2 years, spending most of the winters in the south.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Just a quick note for those of you dealing with pine pitch on fiberglass, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover is great for removing pine pitch as well as road tar, etc. it comes in a quart can that will last a really long time. There is another 3M version for specialty adhesives that is very nasty stuff, so don't buy that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #63

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
Well this thread has filled me with great guilt and a slight amount of ambition.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:50 AM   #64

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Just a quick note for those of you dealing with pine pitch on fiberglass, 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover is great for removing pine pitch as well as road tar, etc. it comes in a quart can that will last a really long time. There is another 3M version for specialty adhesives that is very nasty stuff, so don't buy that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you have pine tar all over your awning rubbing alcohol takes it off without damaging the fabric. Worked on the fiberglass too. It does remove the wax so you have an excuse to wax it again.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #65

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
Well this thread has filled me with great guilt and a slight amount of ambition.
No need for guilt Ruthe - it is a recreational trailer and enjoyment is its purpose. Get it waxed when you can, (or even just use any good wash and wax product if you get time for that) but meanwhile just enjoy!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:47 AM   #66

I'm about to order the Aerospace 303 from Amazon. Any suggestions? Are there different kinds? Should I get the spray bottles at first? And what cleaner do you all recommend?
Old 10-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #67

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I got both the spray and the cloths.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I got both the spray and the cloths.
Thanks Jim. I wasn't sure from your posts whether you use it instead of waxing.
Old 10-17-2017, 01:36 PM   #69

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I wax but use the cloth on anything that has rubber, like around the windows and the MaxxFan. The spray I use on tires and larger areas like the a/c shroud.. Wax on fiberglass
Old 10-17-2017, 01:40 PM   #70

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
I'm about to order the Aerospace 303 from Amazon. Any suggestions? Are there different kinds? Should I get the spray bottles at first? And what cleaner do you all recommend?
Ruthe use the 303 on everything rubber and vinyl . also now for 4 years after we wash trailer , we like the spray , spray and wipe in the wheel walls . they are so much easier to clean . No scrubbing . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:39 PM   #71

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
The problem with threads like this

The problem with threads like this is that they make me feel so guilty. It was 75 and sunny in St. Paul today, and I spent the day working on the trailer -- winterizing it and getting it partly washed. I will sneak in more washing and waxing time over the next couple of days as the weather is going to be nice. All because I read this thread. As a result, I have missed two long bike rides. I could have gone down to the Cannon Valley Trail to see Eric and Mary ride their trikes. I could have taken the 1981 Centurion Pro-Tour that I just bought out for a spin. but no, you all guilted me into doing maintenance instead. There. I just had to vent, and I hope you all feel slight guilty about my productive day. :cheers
Old 10-17-2017, 09:43 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Leon you wouldn't have liked it, it was just horribly ugly on the bike trail, 70F, leaves changing and fresh cheese curds from the Nelson Creamery....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-30-2017, 08:36 AM   #73

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
I started waxing and it looked very nice, but then I started to see dark streaks in the sides, especially under the windows....any suggestions?
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:16 AM   #74

Trailer: 2016 21/ '16 Tundra 4.6L Dbl. Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
I started waxing and it looked very nice, but then I started to see dark streaks in the sides, especially under the windows....any suggestions?
Sherm, I’ve had dark streaks on the sides, caused by a dirty roof dripping down. But once the entire trailer is washed and dried, all streaks are gone. Waxing looks great! Sorry!

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #75

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Our choice is an application of 303 twice yearly and more biking! For us, the trailer is a tool not a jewel.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:54 AM   #76
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Since my first all-molded-towable was a used Scamp, I learned to embrace Patina. I think the same thing is going to happen to Ten Forward, at least the roof! Besides being shiny, a good wax job makes washing a whole lot faster. So, those areas I can easily reach from a step ladder or standing on the tailgate of my truck (the nose of the trailer), will get waxed. As Nick said "a tool not a jewel."
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 10:06 AM   #77

Yah but our Escapes sure are a jewel of a tool!

Old 10-30-2017, 11:56 AM   #78

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Waxing usually removes the black streaks. There are a myriad of products for removing them if you want to buy something specific. Washing takes of about 80%, a cleaner/wax will take care of the rest, or use something like Simple Green or any of the other colored cleaners, purple, yellow, orange, take your pick. RV supply places sell yet another kind.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM   #79

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Waxing usually removes the black streaks. There are a myriad of products for removing them if you want to buy something specific. Washing takes of about 80%, a cleaner/wax will take care of the rest, or use something like Simple Green or any of the other colored cleaners, purple, yellow, orange, take your pick. RV supply places sell yet another kind.
Understood. The issue is that I was and remove them and they reappear. It's as though the color is leaching out if the window frame material and causing the drip marks. And I had almost no marks before I waxed. So, waxing made the trailer look worse.
Sherm2954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:21 PM   #80
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherm2954 View Post
Understood. The issue is that I was and remove them and they reappear. It's as though the color is leaching out if the window frame material and causing the drip marks. And I had almost no marks before I waxed. So, waxing made the trailer look worse.
Those black streaks are caused by the butyl to seal the window to the body. I use a soft (childs) toothbrush dipped in 100% car wash to scrub them away. Easy peasy. And no caustic chemicals to strip the wax.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote