Winterizing Hot Water Heater - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Maintenance, Winterizing and Routine Care
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2022, 10:18 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Winterizing Hot Water Heater

Just wrapping up winterizing and thought I'd show how I cleaned out bits of anode left in drained hot water tank. Using Shop Vac attachment with 1/2" clear vinyl tubing I removed all the sediment from several years of anode erosion.
For me I continue to use the anode shown since there is plenty of material left, I know it's working from breakdown and why waste money. When wrapping with teflon tape I like to only do last plug threads for getting seal since it leaves a portion of clean metal to metal contact with tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Hot Water Tank.jpeg  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Chuck,
Do you have a source for that vac attachment hose for cleaning the water heater? Thanks in advance.....
Old 10-10-2022, 02:11 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Chuck,
Do you have a source for that vac attachment hose for cleaning the water heater? Thanks in advance.....
Yes, the source is my junk bin. What I used was a crevice tool from vacuum accessories and pushed a length of clear 1/2" vinyl hose in the end. I tool masking tape and made air tight. Bob's your uncle.

Worked great as I could see what I was getting out aa I slid it around inside of tank. It also cleared all remaining water for winterizing.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 02:41 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Another option is the wet method. Wear a raincoat and squirt water from a garden hose into the anode opening. Its a messy job but someone in our household has to do it. Sometimes the amount of sediment is amazing - depends on the water sources.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Yes, the source is my junk bin. What I used was a crevice tool from vacuum accessories and pushed a length of clear 1/2" vinyl hose in the end. I tool masking tape and made air tight. Bob's your uncle.

Worked great as I could see what I was getting out aa I slid it around inside of tank. It also cleared all remaining water for winterizing.
It was the green masking tape that fooled me..... Made it to appear " store bought"///
Old 10-10-2022, 04:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Good idea, and easy. Thanks for sharing.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Another option is the wet method. Wear a raincoat and squirt water from a garden hose into the anode opening. Its a messy job but someone in our household has to do it. Sometimes the amount of sediment is amazing - depends on the water sources.
Camco makes a little wand that is designed for cleaning out the water heater through the drain/anode hole. It works pretty well and you don't get soaked!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 08:54 AM   #8

Here you go
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Rinser-...23020441&psc=1
just ordered another one for myself......
Old 10-11-2022, 09:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
My hack

There accumulates a lot of mineral deposits in the water heater, and it is hard to get it all out. I had some 3/8" DIA. or so copper tubing and bent the end 90 degrees to get the last dregs that resides just below the anode opening. Tubing just won't make the bend and get that. I attach it to a shop vac crevice tool and close off with packing tape any opening for max suction.
After drain and rinse, I stuff a strip of old cotton towel into the heater using a dowel, let capillary action wick out any water and then do the vac job.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 10:33 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Just wrapping up winterizing and thought I'd show how I cleaned out bits of anode left in drained hot water tank. Using Shop Vac attachment with 1/2" clear vinyl tubing I removed all the sediment from several years of anode erosion.
For me I continue to use the anode shown since there is plenty of material left, I know it's working from breakdown and why waste money. When wrapping with teflon tape I like to only do last plug threads for getting seal since it leaves a portion of clean metal to metal contact with tank.
Clever! I'm going to try this.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 12:54 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Some final notes:store the camper with the anode removed and place a note/label over the inside hot water heater switch “winterized”.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2022, 03:21 PM   #12

I'd cover the hole to keep bugs out of the water heater while it is in the "sleep mode".....a piece of screen should do it.....
Old 10-13-2022, 05:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
did not know to do this; I clean it all out and then screw the anode back into the water heater, why do we not want to do this?
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 05:38 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
did not know to do this; I clean it all out and then screw the anode back into the water heater, why do we not want to do this?
There is no reason you cannot store the hot water heater empty with anode installed. FWIW the only time you do not want an anode in is if the water heater is filled with antifreeze but most know that it is better to bypass the HWH than to fill with 6 gallons of antifreeze.
Old 10-13-2022, 05:42 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
I first bypass the water heater, remove the anode, flush the water heater tank out, let dry a day and then fully screw the anode back in place, ready to us when we get south in late January.

I'm also wondering why it was implied that we shouldn't fully screw the anode in?

Then again, I also blow the lines clear, run antifreeze through the system (and add antifreeze to the kitchen and shower traps), and then blow the lines clear again. Also ready to use in late January.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
I would put it or a new one right back in-protect the heater threads.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:32 PM   #17

My take on this

If you want to protect the threads of the WH, rub Vaseline or some petroleum product on them. I leave the anode open.....open, thru the winter. No screen, no protection. Come Spring, if some critter sets up home inside, I'll deal with it. Corrosion of anything requires an electrolyte (liquid) for conduction of galvanic or other corrosion to occur. In my book, the drier, the better. Why does metal rust......when it's wet? And super- rust in a salty, wet environment?
Because water, with it's minerals and contaminates is a conductor of electricity.
Absolutely pure H2O is not. We don't see that kind of water...a theoretical water. Water that we see and live with is a conductor of electricity, and corrosion.

Everybody has their own voodoo they do. This has worked for me.
Old 10-13-2022, 08:57 PM   #18

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
If you want to protect the threads of the WH, rub Vaseline or some petroleum product on them. I leave the anode open.....open, thru the winter. No screen, no protection. Come Spring, if some critter sets up home inside, I'll deal with it. Corrosion of anything requires an electrolyte (liquid) for conduction of galvanic or other corrosion to occur. In my book, the drier, the better. Why does metal rust......when it's wet? And super- rust in a salty, wet environment?
Because water, with it's minerals and contaminates is a conductor of electricity.
Absolutely pure H2O is not. We don't see that kind of water...a theoretical water. Water that we see and live with is a conductor of electricity, and corrosion.

Everybody has their own voodoo they do. This has worked for me.
Critters in there, no thanks.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 09:28 PM   #19

Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Critters in there, no thanks.
I've not had any in there. Ever. It's heading to freezing now where I'm at. Bugs ain't an issue, anymore . A cover on the rig, synched tight and the heater drop cover seems to keep all the riff-raf out very well.

YMMV, where you live.
Old 10-14-2022, 09:31 AM   #20

Trailer: WTB: E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
I've not had any in there. Ever. It's heading to freezing now where I'm at. Bugs ain't an issue, anymore . A cover on the rig, synched tight and the heater drop cover seems to keep all the riff-raf out very well.

YMMV, where you live.
Hmmm...I thought down south it stays warmer
Escape_19 is offline   Reply With Quote