2022 Mississippi River Rendezvous September 23-25 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Rallies, Get-togethers, Gatherings or Events
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #121

Trailer: Escape 5.0
We were on I80 in Wyoming this summer. Nice route with light traffic. There’s a huge Cabela’s store in Sidney, Nebraska with a full service campground. As you get further east I80 gets hectic with heavy truck traffic (but they drive at high car speeds). Being from Cali that might not bother you. Iowa Dave would know best but I would try to get up to 30 by Des Moines. ( You can angle up to Marshalltown to save a few miles)
GregWCIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 03:12 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
That angle road to Marahalltown was always pretty good I think it’s #330 ( it was always goo then from marshalltown to Tama is all new. As you come east out of Tama it gets pretty hilly for a bit. Settled by Bohemians in the 1879s it became known as the Bohemian Alps. Then from the foot of the alps at salt creek you cross an intersection of highway 21 going north and you go east. The road is being widened to four lanes to the 218 corner. 30 from there to Clinton is all good with a little bridge construction here and there but no detours.
The trip around Cedar Rapids is painless and you’ll not get below 65 mph if you so desire. There’s a little whoop de do intersection at Dewitt the takes you on into Clinton on 30.
I’ve only driven these Routes about 300 times in the last ten years so I’m no expert.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-08-2022, 05:16 PM   #123

Dave, I was a journalist in Des Moines and Cedar Falls in a previous life. I sure enjoy your writing style. I bet you could regale us with stories around a fire pit.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 PM   #124

Thank you. I don’t know when you were at the Register but I always enjoyed Chuck Offenburger. Heard him speak a couple times too. He was like the Seinfeld show, could make something out of nothing and was human, down to earth and very entertaining. Well before Garrison Kiellor. He was miles down road from the “You might be a red neck if” guy wirh his “You know you’re an Iowa Boy when” routine
Hope to see you at Thomson.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-08-2022, 06:01 PM   #125

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
While not incredibly nteresying, 20 is in better shape with less construction in iowa. I’ve driven 20 across Nebraska and it was in nice shape. If you have a particular interest, let me know and I’ll try to point you in the right direction. In iowa If you take 20 to I380 then south to US30 you’ll make the best time. Get groceries in Clinton before you cross the river to Fulton Illinois.
Iowa Dsve
I mostly wanted to be on the 20 to hit up northwestern Nebraska which I love, Fort Robinson State Park in particular. Then I thought it looked like a nice alternative to 80 to stay on through Iowa, so that's great to hear that it's a good road to be on, thanks! As I get closer to your home state, I may have a question or two for ya...

Here's another one from my favorite author (id'd in my signature): "peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God."
Old 09-08-2022, 07:09 PM   #126

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
We were on I80 in Wyoming this summer. Nice route with light traffic. There’s a huge Cabela’s store in Sidney, Nebraska with a full service campground. As you get further east I80 gets hectic with heavy truck traffic (but they drive at high car speeds). Being from Cali that might not bother you. Iowa Dave would know best but I would try to get up to 30 by Des Moines. ( You can angle up to Marshalltown to save a few miles)
One of my bosses at work told me you can camp for free at the Cabelas headquarters in Lincoln, Nebraska, in the parking lot. Is it free at the store in Sidney, also?

Edit: I see the 330 to 30, looks good
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2022, 07:46 PM   #127

I can’t say for Sydney but the one in Billings was free when we stayed there in 2019 on the way to Osoyoos. Electric and dump station. We went inside and used the restrooms till 9 or 10 pm and in the AM the next morning.

Stayed at Fort Robinson one night and one night at the Nebraska state or national forest. Had a huge tree nursery.
The Fort Robinson story as it was tied to the “Manifest Destiny” was a sad commentary on the development of the USA.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-08-2022, 08:36 PM   #128

I just read briefly about Sidney. Think it’s free. First come first served.

On checking their website the campground is not free. Looks like $30 for electric, $40 for full hookups.
Old 09-08-2022, 10:22 PM   #129

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I'm headed from Cali to Michigan later this month
What Shore are you from originally? People from California don't call it Cali.
Old 09-09-2022, 02:40 AM   #130

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I can’t say for Sydney but the one in Billings was free when we stayed there in 2019 on the way to Osoyoos. Electric and dump station. We went inside and used the restrooms till 9 or 10 pm and in the AM the next morning.

Stayed at Fort Robinson one night and one night at the Nebraska state or national forest. Had a huge tree nursery.
The Fort Robinson story as it was tied to the “Manifest Destiny” was a sad commentary on the development of the USA.
Iowa Dave
I guess we’ll shoot for Cabelas along 80 as potential stopping points, and 330 to 30 to Clinton for food before the causeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWCIL View Post
I just read briefly about Sidney. Think it’s free. First come first served.

On checking their website the campground is not free. Looks like $30 for electric, $40 for full hookups.
Thanks, we can go with/without hookups. I’ll check to see if the parking lot is free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What Shore are you from originally? People from California don't call it Cali.
Some of us do use that term occasionally….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 06:03 AM   #131

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud 1988
We just took 20 across IA on our way to the Bigfoot rally in South Dakota. Nice road for the most part. Highway 20 sucks in IL. You would think with the tourist traffic that Galena gets, that it would be in the plans soon, to widen and smooth it out. We dropped down close to Thomson and went through Sabula to avoid the worst part of Highway 20 on our way west and then drove Highway 52 north again to camp at Waterloo. While I drove 52 to work for a couple of years when we lived in Elkader, Iowa, we had never driven 52 it that far south. Beautiful drive.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:47 PM   #132

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Anyone have a Anderson power pole crimper I can use at the rally?

We would like to switch the MC4 connector off our Renogy portable panel to Anderson PP. I haven't been able to locate anyone locally with a crimper and am too cheap to buy one for 6 crimps. Thought I would give this a try.
Tony N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:09 AM   #133

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
We would like to switch the MC4 connector off our Renogy portable panel to Anderson PP. I haven't been able to locate anyone locally with a crimper and am too cheap to buy one for 6 crimps. Thought I would give this a try.
Hi Tony!

Last time we talked was at the fiberglass rally at Bemidji.

I carry a quality crimper all the time, and if the stars remain in alignment, Terry and I will be at MRR, site 118.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2022, 11:23 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony N View Post
I also carry a crimper that can do up to 5 AWG, but do the Anderson PP require a special/dedicated kind of crimper? I'm not familiar with those connections...
Old 09-11-2022, 01:43 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Hi Tony!

Last time we talked was at the fiberglass rally at Bemidji.

I carry a quality crimper all the time, and if the stars remain in alignment, Terry and I will be at MRR, site 118.

Enjoy,

Perry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
I also carry a crimper that can do up to 5 AWG, but do the Anderson PP require a special/dedicated kind of crimper? I'm not familiar with those connections...
Perry, Good to hear from you, Darlene and I look forward to seeing you and Terry at "MRR" in a couple of weeks. Joe, I'm not sure if the Anderson PP requires a specific crimper, but will investigate.
I hope to round up the rest of the required materials in time for the rally. Thanks for the responses.
Tony
Old 09-13-2022, 11:34 AM   #136

Interest in George Curtis house tour (Clinton IA) ?

Paul Braun suggested there may be some folks who would like to tour the Curtis house in Clinton, Iowa while at the rally. We checked it out and would like to go. I spoke to a contact person and they are flexible with day and time; we thought Saturday afternoon. Cost is $10/$8 for over 60. They are willing to do the 1-hour tour with any number of people, but she mentioned 6 as a lower number. Link: https://www.traveliowa.com/places/ge...s-mansion/613/

Let us know if you are interested by posting here or by PM. They need to know a few days ahead. Or stop by our site at the rally.

There is also an arboretum in Clinton that we plan on visiting, weather permitting.
Tony and Darlene Site #49
Old 09-13-2022, 03:42 PM   #137

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Clinton, Iowa Botanical Garden

Arboretum:

Bickelhaupt Botanical Gardens, just across the Big Muddy in Clinton, IA, are a treat for the eyes and spirit, if you hanker for seeing green things.
Free, to boot.
https://www.flowerchick.com/visit-bi...ns-clinton-ia/

They specialize somewhat in coniferous species from all over the world. There are some very unusual and stunning plants there.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 05:15 AM   #138

Trailer: 2023 21
My wife and I would like to see the Curtis house.
Traverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:10 AM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traverson View Post
My wife and I would like to see the Curtis house.
That makes 4 for sure so I think we should plan on it. Will tentatively plan on Saturday at 1o'clock.
Tony
Old 09-14-2022, 11:57 AM   #140

In case anyone is looking for a site...there was a cancellation that allowed me to move mine to #76, which means that #36 in the PMAN loop is now available. FYI the reservation system lets you change sites with no fee...