Hello - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2023, 05:51 PM   #21

Trailer: Deciding
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Considering that the 9,000 BTU mini-splits I have installed are perfect for the 19 and 21 and many have been happy with the 9,500 BTU Houghton rooftop units even in the southern states you should be fine around that size. If I were you I would order the trailer without the oversized jet engines made by Coleman and Dometic and have a Houghton RP-AC2801 from RecPro installed yourself. They are one of the smallest capacity rooftop A/C's available and finally seem to have an acceptable noise level.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/
Yes that is the best solution since the noise level is acceptable and no modifications. I like a little back ground fan noise as it helps me sleep, but not the noise of the units you mentioned by Coleman and Domestic. I would take the noise over being hot any day but now that there are better solutions why live with that.
Jeff- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 04:43 AM   #22

I always have to use something before I realize how important it is!
Try to prepare more. ◠‿◠
nicklee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 06:52 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff- View Post
Yes that is the best solution since the noise level is acceptable and no modifications. I like a little back ground fan noise as it helps me sleep, but not the noise of the units you mentioned by Coleman and Domestic. I would take the noise over being hot any day but now that there are better solutions why live with that.
I have the Coleman, no complaints so far. I also like a bit of fan noise, to each his own.
I do like the placement of my cold air source being in the middle of my camper and not on one side as the split is. I have the 5 and believe I would end up needing a secondary fan system to carry the cold air to my bed area if I was using the split.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:55 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Coleman vs Houghton 9500: I have the Coleman from ETI with heat strip / soft start and I can run it with an old Honda 2000 up to 1000’ elevation. I’ve never tried it higher. If you look and listen to the noise, you will find the noise and output of the Houghton versus the Coleman on low are comparable. I don’t use the Coleman on high to avoid a lot of short cycling. So those are both options as I see it. The Coleman does sit higher, but I didn’t have to install myself. I do agree the Dometic is so loud we would sweat before we’d turn it on as I’ve had them in other RV’s.
Old 07-21-2023, 09:57 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff- View Post
Hi my name is Jeff and would like to give a friendly hello to everyone. I've been researching RV's and think the escape 19 would work for me. I think my 2015 Honda Pilot Touring with ATF cooler and 4500 lbs towing capacity should pull it.

I am very handy and know auto mechanics, plumbing, electrical, carpentry ect, but have no experience with RV'S. Is there a list of backup parts people carry with a escape 19.
I would think a backup water pump, spare tire, floor jack, generator, air compressor, tools, fuses. I really have not a clue and would like to learn.

I would think twice about getting an E19 with only a 4500# towing capacity. A E17 would be a better fit. A loaded E19(water & all) could easily put you over. I tow a E19 with a PreRunner Taco towing cap 6500#. I could have gone to a 21(people do here), but after towing horsetrailers for 35 yrs........ stayed with an E19. It is the case of the Tail wagging the dog, in high cross winds & the like. Wheel base & weight of TV anchoring what is somewhat a high lighter weight "Sail".
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 10:54 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Jeff, you can check with Escape and see if anyone is near you with the models you want to look at. Many "ambassadors" are happy to let you view their trailers.
Old 07-22-2023, 10:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Coleman vs Houghton 9500: I have the Coleman from ETI with heat strip / soft start and I can run it with an old Honda 2000 up to 1000’ elevation. I’ve never tried it higher. If you look and listen to the noise, you will find the noise and output of the Houghton versus the Coleman on low are comparable. I don’t use the Coleman on high to avoid a lot of short cycling. So those are both options as I see it. The Coleman does sit higher, but I didn’t have to install myself. I do agree the Dometic is so loud we would sweat before we’d turn it on as I’ve had them in other RV’s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
I would think twice about getting an E19 with only a 4500# towing capacity. A E17 would be a better fit. A loaded E19(water & all) could easily put you over. I tow a E19 with a PreRunner Taco towing cap 6500#. I could have gone to a 21(people do here), but after towing horsetrailers for 35 yrs........ stayed with an E19. It is the case of the Tail wagging the dog, in high cross winds & the like. Wheel base & weight of TV anchoring what is somewhat a high lighter weight "Sail".
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Jeff, you can check with Escape and see if anyone is near you with the models you want to look at. Many "ambassadors" are happy to let you view their trailers.
Thank you
Old 08-02-2023, 10:28 AM   #28

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
17B floor plans

We have a 19, but probably could have used a 17B for our needs. They have a couple different bed options as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
17B floor plans.JPG  
Old 08-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #29

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
I have a 19 that I pull with my 2019 Honda Ridgeline. It's fine but I have had a few occurrences where I had a transmission temp overheat warning causing us to pull off and cool down. The lesson is to take it easy over passes.

As for spares, fuses, tools, tapes. The only failure I've had is the propane regulator, so I now carry a spare.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 10:45 AM   #30

Trailer: 1979 Trillium 4500, 2012 Escape 19
We are fairly new to RVing as well. We used the ambassador and looked at a 17B and a 19. We chose the 19 because we thought the extra space would feel better for the 2 of us on longer trips (think months). If I was going solo, I would go with the 17B for all the reasons previously mentioned.
You mentioned that your towing capacity is good for the 19, but what about the rated load carrying capacity of your tow vehicle. You have to consider the weight of the people and gear you carry in the vehicle, plus the hitch weight of the trailer. Out 19 is a 2012, and we have to pack very carefully to keep the hitch weight under 500 pounds.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post
I have a 19 that I pull with my 2019 Honda Ridgeline. It's fine but I have had a few occurrences where I had a transmission temp overheat warning causing us to pull off and cool down. The lesson is to take it easy over passes.

As for spares, fuses, tools, tapes. The only failure I've had is the propane regulator, so I now carry a spare.
There is a member here who had your issues. Installed a larger tranny cooler. Maybe you could ask him about it. He goes by thunderworks.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:28 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We have a 19, but probably could have used a 17B for our needs. They have a couple different bed options as shown below.
Thanks for the insight, I think the 17b is best for my vehicle. The towing capacity I was able to find is 4500 with two people weighing 150lbs and 15lbs of cargo, and the Honda Pilot tongue weight is 450 with two people.

I think I would use a ScanGuage III to monitor parameters such as transmission temperature, oil temperature, trip data and fuel economy information as well as some other things.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:29 PM   #33

Thats sounds like a good Idea.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:30 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
There is a member here who had your issues. Installed a larger tranny cooler. Maybe you could ask him about it. He goes by thunderworks.
That sounds like a good idea.
Old 08-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #35

I have an older ScanGauge II in my Ranger, and it works well.
Old 08-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #36

Trailer: 2010 13ft
where do you ask a question or make a post specifically I`d like to know if anyone tows with a minivan a Pacifica Sienna or Odyssey a 19 ft escape
roh##3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 03:28 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh##3 View Post
where do you ask a question or make a post specifically I`d like to know if anyone tows with a minivan a Pacifica Sienna or Odyssey a 19 ft escape
Hi, ROH, and welcome to the Escape Forum!

The instructions below are from the “Posting and account help | Forum 101” thread found in the “Forum Help | Announcements | Suggestion Box” thread on the Main Page of the forum (a very useful thread to visit while you learn “the tricks of the trade” for this board). Here’s a link to that thread for future reference: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...01-a-1845.html

How to post a new question (thread)

Questions or a new topic thread can be started in the section of the forum that best fits the topic you have in mind. (edit: I think the topic your question fits in is “Towing and Hitching”)

Once you have posted your question you can edit that post for a brief period of time.

Click on the "forums" tab at the top of the page. You may see a list of subforum/topic areas.

Click on the subforum that best suits your intended post. (edit: again, “Towing and Hitching” fits) Once it opens you will see a list of threads already in that subforum. At the top of the list, over toward the left, you should see a "new thread" button.

Click on the new thread button and follow the prompts.

Once you have crafted your post, click on the submit reply button below the text editor to submit your post to the board.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:36 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh##3 View Post
Minivans usually can handle only 350 lbs hitch weight. My 2012 19' hitch is over 500 lbs. 400-500 is quite common, I believe.
Old 08-02-2023, 09:36 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by SageRpod View Post
a hi-viz yellow, reflective safety vest in case I have to change a flat or fix something on the side of the highway.

This reminded me: consider buying three orange rubber traffic cones to go with this. You can get them at a hardware store. Besides help for road hazards, you can use them to "hold your spot" if you have to move your trailer to take it to the dump station, etc., and plan to return.

BTW- don't worry about being a "newby". When I bought my E21 in 2014 I had zero camping experience and the only trailers I had towed in my life were farm wagons. Since then I have put 71,000 miles on my Escape towing it all over the country, and have enjoyed almost every minute of it.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2023, 01:17 PM   #40

I think I could tow a 19 as long as it was dry? What do you think.
Honda Pilot tongue weight is 450 lbs with two people and I would be one.
Capacity is 4500 with two people weighing 150lbs and 15lbs of cargo in back total 30.

Since it would just be me I would have 4630 lbs tow weight.