Hello - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2023, 11:16 AM   #1

Trailer: Deciding
Hello

Hi my name is Jeff and would like to give a friendly hello to everyone. I've been researching RV's and think the escape 19 would work for me. I think my 2015 Honda Pilot Touring with ATF cooler and 4500 lbs towing capacity should pull it.

I am very handy and know auto mechanics, plumbing, electrical, carpentry ect, but have no experience with RV'S. Is there a list of backup parts people carry with a escape 19.
I would think a backup water pump, spare tire, floor jack, generator, air compressor, tools, fuses. I really have not a clue and would like to learn.
Jeff- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
Here is a list someone else had made up and I saved.
Sorry didn’t write down whom to give credit.
Attached Thumbnails
93EADAB1-74D7-4EFD-9734-BCB5070D60CD.jpg  
occer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 01:21 PM   #3

Excellent list

Thank you that was a very good list, many of the same items i saw on some youtube videos like this one

I never new how much goes into RVing there is allot to learn!
Old 07-17-2023, 03:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
After 8 years, I just had to pull the toilet because it was leaking on the floor. I had read somewhere that the flush valve was a “weak” link so I had a replacement in my “spare parts compartment.” Repair took about 45 minutes (a 1/2” ratcheting box/open ended wrench simplified the task). After pulling the toilet I set it on a plastic garbage bag on the bench of the picnic table in my campsite to remove and replace the valve.
If it is not a standard item with today’s Escapes, I would strongly suggest you opt for a toilet shut-off (isolation) valve and also order a spare flush valve (@$16 from Amazon). There is a very small O-ring in the moving part of the valve’s lever that is held on by two screws that appeared to be abraded and I think that was the source of the leak. When I return home I may try to replace the O-ring and test it under pressure. If it doesn’t work, I will order another spare.
Old 07-17-2023, 05:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Don't leave home without one.

Don't leave home without one.....or 2.....credit cards.
Depending on the age of your rig, an extensive spare parts and tool list is not necessary, but not a bad idea.
The picture earlier provided of gear is a good start, and mostly all that's needed.
Spare water pump. Naw. Generator? Naw, unless you have the other needs for it. Floor jack? Naw, a bottle jack is adequate. A 12V air compressor can be useful.
Spare tire...of course. Fuses, multimeter, hand tools, maybe a torque wrench, duct tape, zip ties, some baling wire...you get the idea.
I do travel with a lot of stuff, and rarely have required much for on-the-road repairs.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 06:10 PM   #6

Thanks for all the great advice1 I am thinking I may rent a Minnie Winnie or something like that for a couple of weeks before I dive in. I get the feeling from watching and listening to so many experienced people that it seems easier with a smaller rig, which I can do since I will be doing it solo. I also get the impression that slowing down and staying longer at sites makes for an easier experienced but that is probably subjective and you need to have the time.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:22 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Adding to the list of items to take. I take coveralls in case I have to crawl under the trailer or tow vehicle. A pair of work gloves and, given today's distracted drivers, a hi-viz yellow, reflective safety vest in case I have to change a flat or fix something on the side of the highway.
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #8

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Good call on the HI-Viz.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 05:44 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Highly recommend having a spare sail switch for the furnace. These things are notorious for failing when you really need that furnace. It’s a pretty easy swap out (except for the older model Escapes that don’t have the exterior hatch).
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 07:02 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Hello…

On the CAT scales at the truck stop we’re about 3500lbs partially loaded going to storage with our 2020 19. The Escape 19 is heavier than advertised. Some users have said they’re up to 4500lbs loaded. We have a 2020 19 towed with a Tundra 5.7L.

If you pack light, you may be OK at lower elevations but not on mountain climbs and not west of Denver. Either consider a 17B or plan on a bigger tow vehicle.

Welcome to the Forum.
Old 07-18-2023, 07:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
As the previous poster stated

Consider an E17. Spacious enough for 2, lighter, smaller, a good place and size to start. If 2 foot-itis hits, then upsize.
Especially as a solo RV'er, that's all, and more, than you really need.
Just my opinion, now.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 08:31 PM   #12

Thank You! I thought I was cutting it close with the 19! I will look at the E17's as I don't want to buy a new tow vehicle. Again thanks for all the great information.
Old 07-19-2023, 04:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
I didn’t catch the solo part, I would buy the 17B. The 17B is a lot lighter, one less axle and a lighter frame. How tall are you? The 17B is a little narrower which you’ll notice when laying on the dinette. We upgraded from a 17B to a 19, it cost way more than we planned and the 19 was way heavier. Note, the 17B was a 2007 and our 19 is a 2020, the first generation pre 2017 are lighter but the post 2017 are a better trailer. You can tell the difference by the door. After 2017 they used a standard RV door.

Solo, get the 17B with a permanent bed in the back. Available but you have to ask.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
Hello…

On the CAT scales at the truck stop we’re about 3500lbs partially loaded going to storage with our 2020 19. The Escape 19 is heavier than advertised. Some users have said they’re up to 4500lbs loaded. We have a 2020 19 towed with a Tundra 5.7L.

If you pack light, you may be OK at lower elevations but not on mountain climbs and not west of Denver. Either consider a 17B or plan on a bigger tow vehicle.

Welcome to the Forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
Consider an E17. Spacious enough for 2, lighter, smaller, a good place and size to start. If 2 foot-itis hits, then upsize.
Especially as a solo RV'er, that's all, and more, than you really need.
Just my opinion, now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I didn’t catch the solo part, I would buy the 17B. The 17B is a lot lighter, one less axle and a lighter frame. How tall are you? The 17B is a little narrower which you’ll notice when laying on the dinette. We upgraded from a 17B to a 19, it cost way more than we planned and the 19 was way heavier. Note, the 17B was a 2007 and our 19 is a 2020, the first generation pre 2017 are lighter but the post 2017 are a better trailer. You can tell the difference by the door. After 2017 they used a standard RV door.

Solo, get the 17B with a permanent bed in the back. Available but you have to ask.
Thanks again, I am 5' 10". Thanks for the information on the the years and differences! Allot of information to take in, from water purifiers, noisy air conditioners, batteries, ect ect. I think I would want to modify a 17b with a quiet
air conditioner that I can run if boon docking for a day or two using a quiet generator. Hopefully it can run over night without refueling in case it is very hot out.
Old 07-19-2023, 11:46 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If your generator does not run long enough to get your sleep in, you can buy an auxiliary tank that hooks up to your generator. That way you can run for a couple days straight.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-19-2023, 12:22 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If your generator does not run long enough to get your sleep in, you can buy an auxiliary tank that hooks up to your generator. That way you can run for a couple days straight.
Iowa Dave
Thanks that's a good Idea!
Old 07-19-2023, 05:16 PM   #17

17B air conditioning size

As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 Btu for each square foot of living space. I was wondering what size AC unit would be right for the size of a 17B.
I know it very important to size them correctly or they won't work efficiently.
Old 07-20-2023, 02:35 PM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Jeff, depending on how you plan to use it, you might consider the 17B with the table/cushions in back and use the front area (also a table and benches that can transform to a narrower bed than the one in back. Both areas are the same width, but if you need to angle sideways, you'll want to sleep at the back. The specs are on the Escape site so you can see the possibilities.

I'm not fond of the *permanent* bed concept...you can put a topper on the cushions/table in back for a semi-permanent bed and have the smaller table/benches in front for dining, . This gives you some versatility...best of both worlds, if you want to bring a friend or have a big dog or whatever. But if you'll be doing any computer work/art work/or such, the bigger area in back to spread out your "stuff" is nice.

Just my two cents. (I have a 17 A)
Old 07-20-2023, 03:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Jeff, depending on how you plan to use it, you might consider the 17B with the table/cushions in back and use the front area (also a table and benches that can transform to a narrower bed than the one in back. Both areas are the same width, but if you need to angle sideways, you'll want to sleep at the back. The specs are on the Escape site so you can see the possibilities.

I'm not fond of the *permanent* bed concept...you can put a topper on the cushions/table in back for a semi-permanent bed and have the smaller table/benches in front for dining, . This gives you some versatility...best of both worlds, if you want to bring a friend or have a big dog or whatever. But if you'll be doing any computer work/art work/or such, the bigger area in back to spread out your "stuff" is nice.

Just my two cents. (I have a 17 A)
You make allot of sense! I guess this defends of the quality of the cushions, I'm sure they can be upgraded if needed. I am 200lbs and 5' 10" . So I would just need to keep a topper somewhere and also pillows and bedding for sleeping. It must be doable as you say. I'll check the specs. Thank You
Old 07-20-2023, 05:19 PM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff- View Post
As a general rule, an air conditioner needs 20 Btu for each square foot of living space. I was wondering what size AC unit would be right for the size of a 17B.
I know it very important to size them correctly or they won't work efficiently.
Considering that the 9,000 BTU mini-splits I have installed are perfect for the 19 and 21 and many have been happy with the 9,500 BTU Houghton rooftop units even in the southern states you should be fine around that size. If I were you I would order the trailer without the oversized jet engines made by Coleman and Dometic and have a Houghton RP-AC2801 from RecPro installed yourself. They are one of the smallest capacity rooftop A/C's available and finally seem to have an acceptable noise level.
https://www.recpro.com/rv-air-condit...ol-non-ducted/