Hello from Elk Grove, CA - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2023, 04:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 Escape 5.0
Hello from Elk Grove, CA

New member here - after camping in a Coleman pop-up for past 20 years, we're hoping to purchase an Escape within the next year, once my wife retires.
We've looked at the E19, E21C & E5.0 through the Ambassador Program then visited ETI last month to compare them all side-by-side. I think we've narrowed it down to the 5.0, although, while in Chilliwack, we did tour the new E23 & REALLY liked it! However I suspect that, once E23 pricing is released, we'll be focusing on the 5.0.
So, for those Escape owners out there, what options do you feel are "must haves" & what options did you get that you "could have done without"? (I'm leaning towards the U-shaped dinette, 2-way hot water heater, compressor fridge, outside shower, solar pre-wire & frameless windows.)
Thanks in advance!
Jim
jjdeluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 04:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdeluca View Post
New member here - after camping in a Coleman pop-up for past 20 years, we're hoping to purchase an Escape within the next year, once my wife retires.
We've looked at the E19, E21C & E5.0 through the Ambassador Program then visited ETI last month to compare them all side-by-side. I think we've narrowed it down to the 5.0, although, while in Chilliwack, we did tour the new E23 & REALLY liked it! However I suspect that, once E23 pricing is released, we'll be focusing on the 5.0.
So, for those Escape owners out there, what options do you feel are "must haves" & what options did you get that you "could have done without"? (I'm leaning towards the U-shaped dinette, 2-way hot water heater, compressor fridge, outside shower, solar pre-wire & frameless windows.)
Thanks in advance!
Jim
Welcome, there is becoming a sizable local contingent.
Although mine is a 2009, and I am not familiar with what the current offerings are, except cosmetic, I opted for extra outlets, extra flip up counter, white, framed windows (they did not have frameless ones at the time, but I am happy with what I have), I I don’t know if bathroom windows and fans are an option, but have they existed then I would’ve ordered them. Be sure to get air conditioning because you never know where you might go and I would get extra outside lights to light area around your trailer that can be shut off individually. I also got a row of lights across the top so I could be visible at night. I wish I would have had a rearview camera wired up and of course a three-way refrigerator, which I think is still offered.
Well, I have seen some of the larger ones, I don’t know if you would want shelves in place of a closet rod, or if they still do that. And I also have a very small door on the wardrobe right by the entry door, so I can reach in and grab a pair of gloves, or garbage bags, etc. extra outlet outside but I can’t remember whether it came with one or two, but I do have two.
Just some ideas. Have fun choosing!
Old 07-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Jim

First I lived in Elk Grove for about a year, horses 1975. First saw my now breed there, Aussies

I bare bones it. ETI has made a bit more standard than was in my 2013 E19. Plus not one for bring the house with me. Need room for dogs & their stuff!

1)Solar(I doubled up), doing Dog Trials not many places don't have hook ups.
2) I'm single, Bench seats, as I use the table as my desk for laptop & all. Velcro-ed things to the top!

3)I personally have the Manual awning, Can angle it to many uses, deep for shade, angle to push rain runoff to the back. Can hook things to it, & not worry It's going to close because of a little wind. I(Iput my outdoor shower on the awning side, it does cut down being able to put a store bought pull out drawer in cabinet. Plumbing sticking to the cabinet about 5").
4)Captain Lights, has USB too. Also can grab the 12 volt wire for other things.... ETI wants $$$$ for a 12 volt drop.
5) I did NOT get AC, as I put in a Hougton as soon as I got it to my Brothers(was sitting their waiting!)..
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks Sandra! Yes, bathroom window option is definitely on our list. ETI says their trailers all come pre-wired for AC, so we'll probably add it later. May get 12v-drop option for back up camera & add later of just add wireless camera later. I believe the 3-way fridge is standard, but considering the optional (2-way) compressor fridge. Thanks again for your feedback!
Old 07-29-2023, 08:25 PM   #5

Thanks Carolyn! - Yes, you wouldn't recognize Elk Grove now - I've been here since 1989 & have seen massive growth over the past 30+ yrs.
I do plan to add my own solar/lithium batteries & AC later (looking at the Houghton or possibly even a mini-split). Have you been happy with your Houghton?
I'd ideally like to be able to run AC off of batteries while boondocking, but we'll see!
I was thinking manual awning too (keep it simple)
Old 07-29-2023, 11:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I love the u shaped dinette with the additional depth option. It cost a bit more, but totally worth it, in my opinion.

Lots of room under the seats for large lithium batteries, and so comfortable to lounge in.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 11:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
I love the u shaped dinette with the additional depth option. It cost a bit more, but totally worth it, in my opinion.

Lots of room under the seats for large lithium batteries, and so comfortable to lounge in.
Thanks Rick, we were debating on the additional depth option; sounds like the way to go! Did you also opt for the thicker (4") and/or split seat or backrest cushions?
Old 07-30-2023, 04:47 AM   #8

Trailer: 21
Definitely get the split cushion option. Makes it easier to get to the storage and batteries under the seating. 4 inch cushions are more comfortable. A good option to get also
Old 07-30-2023, 06:32 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
JJ,

If you get close to choosing a compressor fridge, it would be best to talk to someone who has had one. That fridge might require extra solar and pricier batteries, although I like the concept.

Since we have the factory 3-way fridge, an alternative that we have, and a growing number of our friends have is a free-standing compressor cooler. There are the name-brand ones that are in the $1000 range, but we've been very happy with a lesser known brand for around $350. They keep everything at exactly the temperature set on the digital display, they are quiet, and. they seem to use very little electricity. About 50 quart size seems common,
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 10:35 AM   #10

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Thanks Rick, we were debating on the additional depth option; sounds like the way to go! Did you also opt for the thicker (4") and/or split seat or backrest cushions?
I think our cushions are standard. At first, I wished we had gotten the split seat cushion, but now I’m fine that we didn’t. It’s hard to get under the rear seat because the non split cushion is hard to move. But once you make your battery and electrical modifications, you don’t need to get under it anymore.

We have a number of pillows and cushions, the deep u bench can be super comfortable to lounge in with an assortment of pillows.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 01:43 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Thanks Carolyn! - Yes, you wouldn't recognize Elk Grove now - I've been here since 1989 & have seen massive growth over the past 30+ yrs.
I do plan to add my own solar/lithium batteries & AC later (looking at the Houghton or possibly even a mini-split). Have you been happy with your Houghton?
I'd ideally like to be able to run AC off of batteries while boondocking, but we'll see!
I was thinking manual awning too (keep it simple)

I haven't used the Houghton yet. It's in, but no breaker in yet. Just towed the Trailer home stopping at my Brother's for the AC install. Been busy, moving stuff from my 2013 E19, to the new E19. Plus I rebuild inside a lot, to have more dog friendly(I don't allow them on bed/benches). I plan on setting up my new Honda Gen.(so never had gas in it) using the LP gas conversion, & an Easy Start. As I said, many Dog Trials don't have hook ups.
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:47 PM   #12
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
We have an older 2019 Escape 19 so options are likely different than the 5.0 model you are looking at now. I really wish we had the larger fridge with freezer, I love our bathroom and kitchen windows, reading lights in all four corners, front storage unit, foot flush toilet, and the quick connect for our bbq.

We love having the bunk option for the grandkids---limit of 150lbs.

I wish we got the standard seating; the additional depth option for the u-shaped dinette wasn't an option at the time and it is uncomfortable. Because of this, and the smaller table, I wish we went with the standard seating.

Have fun choosing your options. This was 1/2 the fun!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 07:05 PM   #13

So many choices, but I guess that's one of the great things about Escape; the ability to personalize it to each individual's taste! Thank you all for your feedback & suggestions, it's much appreciated & will help us in making our final decisions!
Old 07-30-2023, 08:26 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Just spent two hot, humid nights at a site with no hookups. Was able to run my 9,000 BTU Fujitsu mini-split all night long on my 400AH Bestgo lithium battery and 2000W Xantrex Freedom XC inverter/charger. The inverter compressor on the mini-split is key because once it reaches set point it backs down and draws much lower wattage. It is whisper quiet both inside and outside the trailer. It was blissful!

At this particular site I can recharge with a quiet 2000W Honda generator with a foam sound box during the day and not bother anyone. Haven’t designed the solar system yet but it would take a lot of installed watts to put that many amps back into the battery. A hybrid solution (some solar / some generator) may be your best bet unless you want to do a massive solar installation with slide out panels like Johnny Hung.
Old 07-30-2023, 09:27 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Thanks in advance!
Jim
Welcome. Going from a Coleman popup to a 5.0? Prepare to have your mind blown! We picked up a 2023 5.0 through the now defunct lottery program. The original orderer loaded it up with more stuff than we would have, so here is the stuff we would keep and stuff we would drop.

Keep:
U-shape dinette with cushion upgrades.
Counter extension
No sink in the shower (just take two steps to the kitchen sink and more room in the shower)
Compost toilet (Love it but I don't to talk about it here - PM me if you want to discuss)
Black tank and venting (in case you need to sell it to someone who can't deal with a composter)
Swivel dinette table
3-way fridge
2-way hot water heater
Outside lights all around
Manual awning with led lights
2 sewer line tubes (one for grey water hose, the other for rolled up outside rug)
2-4 Lithium batteries
2 solar panels
Coleman Mach 10 with soft start and heat strip
Range with oven
Under body insulation
12volt plug by rear storage door (nice for your tire inflater)
We like modern so we went with the modern interior
We got the last of the custom sinks, Houzer I believe.
SeeView tank monitors
Tank warming pads (we camp all year)
Shelves in the wardrobe. At first I thought I would pull these out, but now we love them.
Solid walls
Surge protector

Stuff we wouldn't get:
Extra captains lights. The ones over the bed are plenty
Extra counter extensions: we have two in the dinette and they just get in the way.
Lots of extra twelve volt plugs. Maybe a couple inside is all you will need.
Any special fabric or flooring. The basic stuff is fine.
Alloy wheels. We originally wanted them but now I like the steel wheels better.
Extra outdoor shower. You only need one.
TV or radio. If we want music, we listen to a Bluetooth speaker. We don't watch much TV.

Good luck. We all would love to hear what you order!
Gino
SageRpod is offline   Reply With Quote