Potential New owner here - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Community > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 C
Potential New owner here

I am on the verge of ordering an escape trailer and I had a few questions.

How is the build quality? I was considering an airstream but I like the weight and price of this trailer. Is an airstream far better or just a bit?

If you were going full time, what options would you want right out of the gate? I know I want at least 2 solar panels.

Thanks
Asphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 12:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
I can't speak to the quality of an Airstream - that's a completely different category of trailer. But I am very impressed with every aspect of the quality of our Escape. It is very solid and well built (especially compared to our previous stick and tin trailer), well designed, and the fit and finish throughout is excellent. I love the fiberglass shell, and the fact that it is so gorgeous that people are always asking about it is just an added bonus.

We only have one solar panel but have all of the electrical options and love the capability that gives us when boondocking. Usually our batteries are charged back up by mid-morning most days, even after running the furnace or microwave. Also really like the spray foam insulation underneath not just for insulation and sound-deadening but also for protection from road hazards.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:21 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Well I was in your shoes a year ago. I was looking hard at a Flying Cloud. Probably a 21 footer.

I grew up in Mishawaka Indiana and Elkhart is only a short drive. Elkhart is the mobile home and RV capitol of the world. At least it used to be. We all worked in the trailer factories going thru high school and college. Holiday Rambler was the big one back then.

Airstream is made in Ohio and that whole corridor between Ohio and Indiana has trailer businesses up and down. I saw an Airstream Flying Cloud with a mid level decor dressing at a dealer and they left a pull out drawer on the floor. I guess it fell out. I noticed it was particle board and cheap screws. I freaked. A little mosture and you got problems. It was cold outside and there was no heat on so the trailer was really cold. I am not an expert at Airstream, I used to know a lot.

Then when I went home I went to the Airstream forum and started to read about guys trying to fix their stainless panels. One guy said his estimate from a dealer was $4,500 for fixing two panels.

Once i looked at how the owners talked, I kind of stopped looking at them.

They have entered the fiberglass market and I think their first trailer used to sell for around $45K and now is several thousand less. Not sure on the numbers but it would not be hard to find out.

When I found out how cheap these Escape prices are with the exchange rate, I went for their best trailer, the 5.0TA (IMHO) and loaded it up. Now I am done and I love it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:30 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a good friend with a classic Airstream, she lives in BC. While the trailer was at an RV shop for some maintenance, it was badly damaged. Rear panels, etc. No one locally, or on the west coast could repair it, so it was put on a flat bed and taken to the Airstream factory in Ohio for the repairs. Repair work was completed more than a month ago, but there it sits. She won't be getting her Airstream back until the USA/Canada border opens, because it's not considered 'commercial.' Had the trailer been fiberglass instead, she could have gotten it repaired at numerous places and already be out camping. Instead, she sits and waits and waits and waits...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 08:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
I can't speak to the quality of an Airstream - that's a completely different category of trailer. But I am very impressed with every aspect of the quality of our Escape. It is very solid and well built (especially compared to our previous stick and tin trailer), well designed, and the fit and finish throughout is excellent. I love the fiberglass shell, and the fact that it is so gorgeous that people are always asking about it is just an added bonus.

We only have one solar panel but have all of the electrical options and love the capability that gives us when boondocking. Usually our batteries are charged back up by mid-morning most days, even after running the furnace or microwave. Also really like the spray foam insulation underneath not just for insulation and sound-deadening but also for protection from road hazards.
Thanks! I looked at one today (an escape owner allowed me to take a look) and it was incredible. Our build **** is almost complete and we will be reviewing it tomorrow.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Well I was in your shoes a year ago. I was looking hard at a Flying Cloud. Probably a 21 footer.

I grew up in Mishawaka Indiana and Elkhart is only a short drive. Elkhart is the mobile home and RV capitol of the world. At least it used to be. We all worked in the trailer factories going thru high school and college. Holiday Rambler was the big one back then.

Airstream is made in Ohio and that whole corridor between Ohio and Indiana has trailer businesses up and down. I saw an Airstream Flying Cloud with a mid level decor dressing at a dealer and they left a pull out drawer on the floor. I guess it fell out. I noticed it was particle board and cheap screws. I freaked. A little mosture and you got problems. It was cold outside and there was no heat on so the trailer was really cold. I am not an expert at Airstream, I used to know a lot.

Then when I went home I went to the Airstream forum and started to read about guys trying to fix their stainless panels. One guy said his estimate from a dealer was $4,500 for fixing two panels.

Once i looked at how the owners talked, I kind of stopped looking at them.

They have entered the fiberglass market and I think their first trailer used to sell for around $45K and now is several thousand less. Not sure on the numbers but it would not be hard to find out.

When I found out how cheap these Escape prices are with the exchange rate, I went for their best trailer, the 5.0TA (IMHO) and loaded it up. Now I am done and I love it.
The cost of repair is a great thing to consider. Thanks! I looked at an escape today in person and loved it. So well made. Best bang for your buck for sure.
Old 06-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have a good friend with a classic Airstream, she lives in BC. While the trailer was at an RV shop for some maintenance, it was badly damaged. Rear panels, etc. No one locally, or on the west coast could repair it, so it was put on a flat bed and taken to the Airstream factory in Ohio for the repairs. Repair work was completed more than a month ago, but there it sits. She won't be getting her Airstream back until the USA/Canada border opens, because it's not considered 'commercial.' Had the trailer been fiberglass instead, she could have gotten it repaired at numerous places and already be out camping. Instead, she sits and waits and waits and waits...
Thanks! Great point. I guess anywhere that repairs fiberglass for cars, boats, planes, etc... would be able to repair most body damage. Didn't think of that.
Old 06-15-2020, 06:57 AM   #8

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Problem with aluminum trailers like the Airstream is if you're caught in a bad hailstorm, the trailer will suffer dents. Fiberglass RV's, not so much.

We were caught camping with our Parkliner years ago at some campground and a hailstorm went through and left a lot of unhappy campers.
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asphere View Post
I was considering an airstream but I like the weight and price of this trailer. Is an airstream far better or just a bit?
There happens to be an Airstream Bambi parked on the next street over. Maybe a "COVID-19" reaction purchase. I gave it a once over when biking by with my daughter the other day. It appears to be the 22FB model. Single axle and starts at $59K. While the layout and finishes will likely catch your eye my feeling is that you have a much higher risk with the aluminum panels versus fiberglass and there are likely construction corners cut when you dig deeper. They still have many of the same third-party components that we have in our Escapes. Dometic A/C, Suburban hot water heater, Atwood furnace, MaxxFan...etc. So even after spending all of that money you are not buying your way out of the troubles that everyone has with these appliances. At least with an Escape it is pretty safe to say that appliance issues will likely be the extent of your problems...if you have any at all.
Old 06-15-2020, 11:01 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The average Airstream has 3,000 rivets, each rivet is a potential leak source...........!
Old 06-15-2020, 11:14 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The average Airstream has 3,000 rivets, each rivet is a potential leak source...........!
Hi: cpaharley2008... 3,000 rivets towed in close formation!!!
Reace once told me..."We make a wonderful trailer... then cut holes in it"!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
021.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote