Build your own lithium 12V lithium battery? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2021, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Build your own lithium 12V lithium battery?

Anyone seen this guy's video on building a 12V lithium battery and have any opinions they'd care to share?

jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
I was thinking about it at the time, this video is about a year old and there are even more options now. I ended up buying four Renogy Smart lithium 100/12 batteries on eBay recently, (link below) the batteries are brand new in a sealed Renogy box. I bought the Renogy BT-2 Bluetooth for monitoring, run some tests and I'm very
pleased, actually thinking of getting two more, looks like the seller have a huge supply. One thing to keep in mind, you can't connect these in series, so if you want/need a 24v system you need to look elsewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/33419453261...QAAOSwyVBgwpC7
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
I was thinking about it at the time, this video is about a year old and there are even more options now. I ended up buying four Renogy Smart lithium 100/12 batteries on eBay recently, (link below) the batteries are brand new in a sealed Renogy box.

I also bought two of these for my trailer - installed but not tested. The price is quite attractive. But do pay attention to some details:

They do not appear to have any cold temperature protections - like charging cutoff or discharging cutoff. You will have to disconnect and/or switch manually as needed.

They have a non-standard footprint. You will have to construct a box or hold-down system.

They have some unusual electronics - a detachable On-Off switch (supplied) and some inter-battery communications that require a cheap Ethernet type cable (not supplied). (That's the "Smart" in the name.)

If these are not an issue then you can save some serious $$$ over BattleBorn or Dakota.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:11 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 escape 21c
What's the warranty on these batteries? The price is certainly attractive
DanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 12:26 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The approach makes sense. A reasonably handy person can potentially assemble the cells and BMS as well as Battle Born and others do - they're all buying the same components. An advantage (aside from cost savings) of doing you own is that you can choose the capacity and physical arrangement, not being limited to available cases or forced to parallel multiple units to get the desired capacity (although the Bestgo units make it possible to avoid parallel units without building your own).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 01:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The approach makes sense. A reasonably handy person can potentially assemble the cells and BMS as well as Battle Born and others do - they're all buying the same components. An advantage (aside from cost savings) of doing you own is that you can choose the capacity and physical arrangement, not being limited to available cases or forced to parallel multiple units to get the desired capacity (although the Bestgo units make it possible to avoid parallel units without building your own).
This young man has an excellent youtube channel about solar power including all kinds of batteries.
DIY Solar Power with Will Prowse
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2021, 02:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I also bought two of these for my trailer - installed but not tested. The price is quite attractive. But do pay attention to some details:

They do not appear to have any cold temperature protections - like charging cutoff or discharging cutoff. You will have to disconnect and/or switch manually as needed.

They have a non-standard footprint. You will have to construct a box or hold-down system.

They have some unusual electronics - a detachable On-Off switch (supplied) and some inter-battery communications that require a cheap Ethernet type cable (not supplied). (That's the "Smart" in the name.)

If these are not an issue then you can save some serious $$$ over BattleBorn or Dakota.
From the manual: Low battery warning (charging) 41 degrees, triggering protection 32 degrees

There are also all the other desired protection settings for high/low temp discharging, over current, over voltage and cell high/low voltage.

I think the smart in the name is for the included BMS (and some marketing hype )
Connecting the batteries with the RJ-45 enable monitoring all the battery bank down to individual cell level with one Bluetooth accessory ($33 on Amazon).
Personally I like the small size, these will go to a van conversion so space is always limited (as it is in may E19)

Edit: the detachable switch is intended to limit discharge during long storage, the battery can be "turned on" without using it by applying a charge.

Full discloser: I'm not affiliated with the seller in any way, bought two, liked it and bought two more .
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
build lithium battery, diy lithium battery