Houghton AC for 5.0 TA - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 02:40 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 21c
A reputable dealer should be able to help you get the correct size A/C. They should take into consideration the amount of insulation, how many cu ft you need to cool, & the worst conditions you expect to encounter. In the worst condition theoretically the compressor would run continuously. It’s also more efficient and less wear and tear on the compressor.

My small trailer has way too large of an A/C now. In 90° heat in Texas while traveling I couldn’t get the inside of my trailer below 80% humidity. 68° inside. I don’t think the compressor ran for more than a couple minutes at a time. Same problem during the summer here in Indiana. One of my biggest complaints of my current trailer.

I don’t want to make any suggestions on what size A/C you should get. Like I mentioned a reputable dealer help you make the correct recommendation based on your needs.
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:15 PM   #62

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen View Post
A reputable dealer should be able to help you get the correct size A/C. They should take into consideration the amount of insulation, how many cu ft you need to cool, & the worst conditions you expect to encounter. In the worst condition theoretically the compressor would run continuously. It’s also more efficient and less wear and tear on the compressor.

My small trailer has way too large of an A/C now. In 90° heat in Texas while traveling I couldn’t get the inside of my trailer below 80% humidity. 68° inside. I don’t think the compressor ran for more than a couple minutes at a time. Same problem during the summer here in Indiana. One of my biggest complaints of my current trailer.

I don’t want to make any suggestions on what size A/C you should get. Like I mentioned a reputable dealer help you make the correct recommendation based on your needs.
I would think that ETI knows the needs of their trailers considering insulation, size and construction. If they offer 11000 BTU and 13,500 (for a while at least) ,it would be reasonable to assume those sizes work. An AC dealer doesn't know the finer points of escape trailers insulation and such. I will check with Houghton before I purchase.

Curious to what size your small trailer is and AC size.. Is it a FG or stick built?
Old 06-04-2021, 05:25 PM   #63

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
I would like to correct what I think is misinformation I posted. 2 weeks ago I sent a email including a sketch to ETI asking for info about the raised roof area on the 21C in regards to mounting an AC unit. I asked for the overall length of the raised area and the distance from the aft end of the 14" vent opening to the aft end of the raised roof. I called a week later and was told no one had gotten back to my Rep. I was reminded of my question yesterday when I read the posts about installing a RecPro 13500 BTU low profile AC (model AC3400) on a 21C. That AC is 44"long, almost 4" longer the the Dometic. About 4:30 Pacific time I called ETI and was told the info had just become available and was told the overall length was 35" and the distance from the aft edge of the opening to the aft end of the raised roof is 19" and I immediately added those numbers to my post. That night I thought about the numbers. The 19" figure corresponds well to the Dometic and Coleman ACs. But if the vent is 14" plus the 19" aft of the vent that totals 33". That leaves only 2 " of raised roof forward of the vent. That could be correct but it doesn't seem like much.

I contacted RecPro today and received a installation manual for the model 3400. the included drawings show the distance from the aft side of the vent to the back of the shroud to be 23 5/32". From the photos is appears the back of the shroud tapers 1 1/2' shorter at the bottom. That means the back of the shroud would extend a little more than 4' beyond the raised roof but the bottom of the AC would extend about 2 3/4" beyond.
The location and width, front to back, of the support pad would determine whether it would be on the raised roof. From the poor photos on the internet It looks like the pad is 3 1/4' wide but starts 19 1/2" from the aft side of the vent opening. It appears that it may either be barely be on the raised rook or just miss it.
It still leaves me wondering if it will work out.
ps I am going to try and find out how to attach photos of the drawings
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #64

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
ps I am going to try and find out how to attach photos of the drawings

Go here:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...otos-9057.html
Old 06-04-2021, 05:31 PM   #65

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I would think that ETI knows the needs of their trailers considering insulation, size and construction. If they offer 11000 BTU and 13,500 (for a while at least) ,it would be reasonable to assume those sizes work. An AC dealer doesn't know the finer points of escape trailers insulation and such. I will check with Houghton before I purchase.

Curious to what size your small trailer is and AC size.. Is it a FG or stick built?
I think you may be giving ETI a little too much credit in this regard. They provide units in the sizes that the major manufacturers (Dometic and Coleman) offer. The A/C will "work" but it is not something highly engineered and will not be optimal. I have shared in other threads that I installed 9,000 BTU mini-splits in both a 19 and 2nd gen 21 and they have been perfect in all conditions. Does not short cycle and does a great job cooling and dehumidifying - variable speed compressor certainly helps. With constant speed compressors it is even more important to not oversize. 11,000 BTU is probably not too far off the mark but I can say without a doubt that a 13.5K BTU A/C is oversized for these small trailers.
Old 06-04-2021, 05:51 PM   #66

Trailer: 2021 21c
It’s a 18ft long 7 ft wide with 1 thick foam laminated walls. The box length inside is probably closer to 15ft when you subtract the A frame.

I questioned Escape about A/C Sizes. Told me they didn’t have any complaints, but also admitted they didn’t have an engineer in house. They are just selling what they think people want. I have ordered my trailer without the A/C. Mostly because I am concerned about fitting the trailer under my 9ft garage door. Plan to measure my clearances and decide on an A/C later.

If you shop around other RVs, you will find the 13,000 BTU A/C units on 25 to 28ft trailers that are 8 ft wide with slide outs. Beyond that they start adding second A/C options. The beauty there is you have the option of running 1 or both units.

Again I don’t presume to know what you need, but hopefully you will find someone knowledgeable to help you make an informed purchase.
Galen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:13 PM   #67

Quote:
It’s a 18ft long 7 ft wide with 1 thick foam laminated walls. The box length inside is probably closer to 15ft when you subtract the A frame.

I questioned Escape about A/C Sizes. Told me they didn’t have any complaints, but also admitted they didn’t have an engineer in house. They are just selling what they think people want. I have ordered my trailer without the A/C. Mostly because I am concerned about fitting the trailer under my 9ft garage door. Plan to measure my clearances and decide on an A/C later.

If you shop around other RVs, you will find the 13,000 BTU A/C units on 25 to 28ft trailers that are 8 ft wide with slide outs. Beyond that they start adding second A/C options. The beauty there is you have the option of running 1 or both units.

Again I don’t presume to know what you need, but hopefully you will find someone knowledgeable to help you make an informed purchase.
Not sure which way to go... The Mini split 9000 BTU install is in NJ... Much different than southern states in Summer. The Texas fella who installed a 13500 ( I think coleman) said it was perfect in his trailer. I wish there were more installs of the larger units in escape trailers with real world experience. When they started offering the Coleman, it was at request of people for a larger unit... I haven't heard of anyone wanting a smaller unit..
Old 06-04-2021, 09:22 PM   #68

Quote:
Not sure which way to go... The Mini split 9000 BTU install is in NJ... Much different than southern states in Summer. The Texas fella who installed a 13500 ( I think coleman) said it was perfect in his trailer. I wish there were more installs of the larger units in escape trailers with real world experience. When they started offering the Coleman, it was at request of people for a larger unit... I haven't heard of anyone wanting a smaller unit..
Respect that you are doing your research. My take is that these units are already loud, intrusive behemoths on the roof and have trouble starting on small inverter generators. Bigger units can make this even worse. The mini-split in the 19 has been used in 100F weather and the unit in the 21 has traversed the country twice. I can tell you that having over 1 ton (12,000 BTUH) of air conditioning with no capacity control in a trailer that’s about 100 square feet is overkill no matter your location in North America. For context a house would typically be sized at 500-1000 SF/ton depending on a variety of factors. With a 13.5K unit you are over 5 times the capacity of what would be appropriate for even the lowest performing house. Yeah the mini-split is oversized too based on that theory until you realize it modulates down to 1700 BTUH with variable speed compressor. Bear in mind the mini-split is AHRI certified capacity. Maybe RV rooftop air conditioners don’t really put out what they claim? Need to see if manufacturers state capacity at certain conditions and they are tested as such.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:45 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Respect that you are doing your research. My take is that these units are already loud, intrusive behemoths on the roof and have trouble starting on small inverter generators. Bigger units can make this even worse. The mini-split in the 19 has been used in 100F weather and the unit in the 21 has traversed the country twice. I can tell you that having over 1 ton (12,000 BTUH) of air conditioning with no capacity control in a trailer that’s about 100 square feet is overkill no matter your location in North America. For context a house would typically be sized at 500-1000 SF/ton depending on a variety of factors. With a 13.5K unit you are over 5 times the capacity of what would be appropriate for even the lowest performing house. Yeah the mini-split is oversized too based on that theory until you realize it modulates down to 1700 BTUH with variable speed compressor. Bear in mind the mini-split is AHRI certified capacity. Maybe RV rooftop air conditioners don’t really put out what they claim? Need to see if manufacturers state capacity at certain conditions and they are tested as such.
Doesn't the Houghton have some Capacity adjustment? I have some friends who run an HVAC facility so will get their imput as well. I think like most RV/Boat appliances....capacity is probably overstated.. by a bit. I'm not saying that its not oversized..
Old 06-04-2021, 10:23 PM   #70
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Doesn't the Houghton have some Capacity adjustment? I have some friends who run an HVAC facility so will get their imput as well. I think like most RV/Boat appliances....capacity is probably overstated.. by a bit. I'm not saying that its not oversized..
AC cooling capacity can't be adjusted, but the speed and temperature can. 13.5k btu might be oversized if you live up north, but down here in the Texas Hill Country, you're hard pressed to keep a trailer cool even with the unit running almost constantly. I should think a 13.5k btu unit would be fine.
Old 06-05-2021, 07:26 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
AC cooling capacity can't be adjusted, but the speed and temperature can. 13.5k btu might be oversized if you live up north, but down here in the Texas Hill Country, you're hard pressed to keep a trailer cool even with the unit running almost constantly. I should think a 13.5k btu unit would be fine.
Robert: Does your 11K BTU Dometic Penguin struggle to keep up?
Old 06-05-2021, 08:03 AM   #72
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I wouldn't say struggle Dave, but if it's really hot, it'll run close to non-stop. Much is lost due to the thinness of the shell I suppose. In a sticky with thicker walls and more insulation, or in a double hull design like the Oliver, the AC would run less.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:28 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The A/C will "work" but it is not something highly engineered and will not be optimal. I have shared in other threads that I installed 9,000 BTU mini-splits in both a 19 and 2nd gen 21 and they have been perfect in all conditions. Does not short cycle and does a great job cooling and dehumidifying - variable speed compressor certainly helps. With constant speed compressors it is even more important to not oversize. 11,000 BTU is probably not too far off the mark but I can say without a doubt that a 13.5K BTU A/C is oversized for these small trailers.
Rubico327,
I appreciate your advice and understand the issue of a too large an AC not running long enough to dehumidify. Unfortunately we don't have many options. The Houghton 9500 BTU has been out of stock for months and months with no expect delivery date and it's hard to warm up to the Dometic when you hear so many negative reviews about the noise levels. I have a question. The model RC-AC3400, 13500BTU model supposedly has a dehumidifying or drying feature. I have a link to there manual. I don't know if the drying feature would suffice. I don't think the AC can run in the cooling and drying mode simultaneously. Do you have any thoughts on that.
Attached Thumbnails
RecPro Houghtor ACs0001.jpg   RecPro Houghtor ACs0002.jpg   RecPro Houghtor ACs0003.jpg  
Old 06-09-2021, 12:00 PM   #74

Trailer: 2021 21C
I just received our 13500 RecPro unit today. the box was damaged a bit but the unit itself appears to be OK. I took a few pictures of the bottom for those interested. It does appear the back resting pads are just a bit over 19 inches. I feel pretty confident with a little care the pads could be removed and reinstalled an inch forward to have them land on the flat surface of the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
20210609_111708.jpg   20210609_111548.jpg   20210609_111550.jpg  
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 12:30 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
I just received our 13500 RecPro unit today. the box was damaged a bit but the unit itself appears to be OK. I took a few pictures of the bottom for those interested. It does appear the back resting pads are just a bit over 19 inches. I feel pretty confident with a little care the pads could be removed and reinstalled an inch forward to have them land on the flat surface of the trailer.
Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate you taking the time to measure that. It was difficult to accurately determine the pads location from the photo. I wasn't aware they could be moved. It looks like there are several options of were they could be relocated and/or other pads added. Best of luck with your new trailer and AC. When does your trailer arrive?
Jim A.
Old 06-09-2021, 02:00 PM   #76

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
The 9500k units are back in stock at RecPro. My calculations show this should be enough size and the size, noise, and weight are attractive compared to most units. I completed my build sheet without an AC, and now ironically it looks like I'll be storing the RecPro unit for a couple months before I get the trailer.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:21 PM   #77

One of my friends just removed a Dometic 11,00 BTU unit from his Sprinter van. Even though by calculations the Dometic "Should keep up", it struggled...and was loud. He did the swap himself with a 13,500 Houghton. He and his wife are thrilled with the new unit. He lives and uses it in Florida all year . I expressed my concerns about peeps here saying it would be oversized, short cycling etc. His opinion the 13,500 will be fine and not oversized for use in the Southern states. I'm going with the 13,500
Old 06-09-2021, 03:34 PM   #78

Trailer: Escape 17 B second generation 2016
This is good to hear. Plus the website details say that the 13.5 is quieter than the 9.5.
Old 06-09-2021, 07:43 PM   #79

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
Thanks Ryan, I really appreciate you taking the time to measure that. It was difficult to accurately determine the pads location from the photo. I wasn't aware they could be moved. It looks like there are several options of were they could be relocated and/or other pads added. Best of luck with your new trailer and AC. When does your trailer arrive?
Jim A.
Let me know if there is anything else you need a picture of, It is just sitting on the shop floor.

Our GCDR1 is September 19, 2021 So we still have some time to wait.
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:56 PM   #80

Quote:
Rubico327,
I appreciate your advice and understand the issue of a too large an AC not running long enough to dehumidify. Unfortunately we don't have many options. The Houghton 9500 BTU has been out of stock for months and months with no expect delivery date and it's hard to warm up to the Dometic when you hear so many negative reviews about the noise levels. I have a question. The model RC-AC3400, 13500BTU model supposedly has a dehumidifying or drying feature. I have a link to there manual. I don't know if the drying feature would suffice. I don't think the AC can run in the cooling and drying mode simultaneously. Do you have any thoughts on that.
The Rec Pro (Houghton) 9500 BTU unit is back in stock right now. Forget about the Dometic - way too loud and horrible customer service if you have an issue. The manual I found for the Houghton is not that good. It doesn’t explain the dry mode. I don’t know how it can have a real dry mode with a constant speed compressor. My mini-split has an inverter compressor so it can dial down the capacity (compressor and fan) - still keep the coil cold but at a lower airflow to prioritize dehumidifying and take longer to cool the space. When it is humid out the water drips constantly from my condensate drain. If you are in a humid area with an oversized unit the trailer will cool too quick and it will be cold and clammy. You really want a unit that is quiet and is sized properly to run longer to better dehumidify. If you camp in only hot and dry areas then it doesn’t really matter. The priority would be to cool and dehumidifying is not the issue.