Larger propane tanks - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2021, 11:36 PM   #81

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Seriously. You have WAY too much time on your hands. Life is too busy for this minor stuff.
Seriously, it's not that hard.
Old 11-20-2021, 01:20 AM   #82

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I went with steel on the 30' tanks. Don't remember the weight but it is available online. .
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 06:56 AM   #83

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I went with steel on the 30' tanks. Don't remember the weight but it is available online. .
Steel 30# tank should be around 25# empty and 55# full.
Old 11-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #84

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Seriously. You have WAY too much time on your hands. Life is too busy for this minor stuff.

All you can do is be grateful that your life is too busy and meaningful for these type of things.

Water off a duck…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #85

Quote:
Like levelling a counter? Or, using a nail set properly?

If you're not readily understood, what is the point of posting?
Old 11-20-2021, 04:27 PM   #86

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Like levelling a counter? Or, using a nail set properly?

If you're not readily understood, what is the point of posting?
Okay, you got it. If I am not understood here, best to take off for a while then. Don't need this grief for a simple spelling mistake.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2021, 04:29 PM   #87

Good grief Jim.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:57 PM   #88

Trailer: 2008 BigfootRV 25B21RB
Aluminum vs Steel. Worthington makes both steel and aluminum DOT cylinders. a 30 lb steel cylinder weighs (empty) 6.8 lb more than the aluminum one. A 20 lb steel cylinder weights 4.0 lbs more than the aluminum.

A 30 lb steel tank can be bought for under $100 (Flame King is down about $70). An aluminum 30 lb tank is somewhere in the $250 range and $60 or so more if you want a gauge in it.

Fiberglass.... Viking used to import and market them, it appears that someone else is now. a 22 lb FG tank weighs 13.5 lbs, so its on par with Aluminum, but many places refuse to fill them, so says people on discussion forums who have bought them, and they are sized differently so they don't fit in the standard racks. They can run $230 or so.

I have two Manchester 30 lb tanks and two Flame King 30 lb tanks. The FK is about a pound lighter.

If you think that tanks are difficult to remove and install you ought to see what I have to do on my SOB (Bigfoot).

I have an onboard Onan 2500LP generator so I want lots of LP for everything. I have Mopeka Pro sensors on the bottom of the tanks, so far they work well. The standard sensors were eating batteries in 24 hours or less so they swapped them out for the Pro units, which have been installed about 5 months now.

The brace in the top pic is to keep the tanks from wobbling fore and aft. There is only about 3/4 inch clearance between the tank and the head of the bolt securing the Blue Ox hitch brackets. I have clear plastic tubing over the square heads of these bolts to help protect the tanks.

Charles
Attached Thumbnails
LP tank brace rod.jpg   mopeka tank access.jpg  
CharlesinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:50 AM   #89

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesinGA View Post
Fiberglass.... Viking used to import and market them, it appears that someone else is now. a 22 lb FG tank weighs 13.5 lbs, so its on par with Aluminum, but many places refuse to fill them, so says people on discussion forums who have bought them, and they are sized differently so they don't fit in the standard racks. They can run $230 or so.
Charles
If interested in a see through tank: Defender Industries carries them.
https://www.defender.com/product3.js...262&id=1319251

Cost is $146 USD, empty weight is 10.3 lbs, capacity is 4.2 gallons.
The first place I took mine for a fill didn't hesitate. The next fill will probably happen in 2024-2025 at my rate of usage.

Be aware: they have a 5 year inspection cycle, as opposed to the regular 10-12(?) normal inspection cycle.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:30 AM   #90

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I have 7 refillable propane tanks. My hardware store and my country small town propane dealer both fill with a platform scale. I use tanks at home for my weed dragon torch, my propane grills and my 60,000 btu cooker that heats my big stock pot. On the Escape, I have two 20 lb tanks and an 11 lb tank. If we’re going out for a week or more I make sure the tanks are all full. If a shorter campout is planned, a full 20 and a partial on both the second tank and the small tank are adequate. I use the partials up on the home devices.

I’m reasonably sure I have a minor mental defect which allows me to be happy after I switch my tanks around and everything is in order.

After working 50 summers for the man, I can justify whiling away some of my life wasting time, I have earned it. Last spring I made 500 leadhead jigs for fishing. I lost about 6 last summer. And it will take a while for me to use up 1,000 round balls and conical projectiles through my black powder rifles one at a time. But I have them if I need them.

I am thankful I can spell pretty well. I wish I was more Accurate in my typing but my vocabulary exceeds that of the spellcheck programmers not to mention my poetic license so I can’t get too excited about spelling errors, spellcheck corrections, grammar, etc. it’s all good. All of my English teachers are dead now and they did not impress me much at the time anyhow. I do have a good textbook by Guth called Words and Ideas but don’t use it much these days.
Drove Chicago mid day on I80. Heaviest traffic I have encountered in some time especially big trucks. 14 highway patrol across the state, 10 roadkill deer and 31 west bound stick built trailers being delivered west bound coming out of Elkhart IN. 393 miles.
Have a good Thanksgiving, there are lots of things to be thankful for. (Never end a sentence with a preposition.) I mean There are a lot of things for which to be thankful.
My daughter just reminded me that her friend had received a notice of a party but no location.
She texted “Where is the party at?” She got the response Never end a sentence with a preposition.”
She then replied, “Where is the party at, bitch?”
Iowa Dave
Old 11-24-2021, 10:39 AM   #91

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that is a chuckle.......
Old 11-24-2021, 10:55 AM   #92

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If we’re going out for a week or more I make sure the tanks are all full.

1,000 round balls and conical projectiles through my black powder rifles one at a time. But I have them if I need them.

Iowa Dave
Wow, you use much more propane than we do. In summer we get over two weeks on a tank. In winter, using the furnace, not so much.

Yah, I've cast a few of those conical projections myself.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 06:07 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, you use much more propane than we do. In summer we get over two weeks on a tank. In winter, using the furnace, not so much.

Yah, I've cast a few of those conical projections myself.

Ron
The campfire in a can will use significant propane whether it’s off the small tank or one of the 20’s on the quick connect. I just like to know I have plenty.
Iowa Dave