Let's talk about refrigerators - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2021, 08:11 AM   #21

Trailer: On Wait List for 23. Deposit on 5.0. Currently Aliner Family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
I would lean toward the 3 way standard fridge unless you really enjoy babysitting the battery level and associated extra panels/generator/etc... to keep it charged up. FWIW.
Having only owned a compressor-fridge in my current RV, I'm curious whether the 3-way running on propane causes a similar worry about running out of propane? For such a fridge, how long might one run on propane with only one 20-lb tank?
Steve S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:29 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
Having only owned a compressor-fridge in my current RV, I'm curious whether the 3-way running on propane causes a similar worry about running out of propane? For such a fridge, how long might one run on propane with only one 20-lb tank?

Previous discussions on the forum have indicated one 20lb tank lasting roughly a couple of weeks of normal use with a "common range" being 1 week - 3 weeks. Obviously, the temperature outside as well as how much propane you use for hot water, heat, cooking, etc... make the length of time vary widely.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 08:59 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
One negative of a compressor reefer: Noise while trying to sleep. I have added some sound deadening material to the inside of the cabinet which helped considerably.

And like just about every other facet of using our RV, which type of reefer you opt for is all about the application. We have enough battery power to bridge us over several days if/when cloudy/shady conditions prevail. Our travels are mainly western USA where sunshine is typically the rule of the day so our solar works very well. Therefore our small compressor reefer has suited us very well.

Its all about the application.
dstreight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Yup. Its all about the application.

And location....location. Less solar exposure around here, and more vegetation to block the sun.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Given your bent toward boondocking and not liking motors cycling on/off, I would lean toward the 3 way standard fridge unless you really enjoy babysitting the battery level and associated extra panels/generator/etc... to keep it charged up. FWIW.

This kind of sums up where I'm leaning. I'm probably just going to get the propane fridge. But this has been a great discussion in the thread so far.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
This kind of sums up where I'm leaning. I'm probably just going to get the propane fridge. But this has been a great discussion in the thread so far.

on disadvantage to the larger fridge in 19' is you lose the microwave cabinet . I am not much for microwave food anyway so for us it was not a problem.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #27

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S. View Post
Quote:
Previous discussions on the forum have indicated one 20lb tank lasting roughly a couple of weeks of normal use with a "common range" being 1 week - 3 weeks. Obviously, the temperature outside as well as how much propane you use for hot water, heat, cooking, etc... make the length of time vary widely.
Just for some context assuming I'm doing the math right...Our 5CF Dometic RM2510 uses only 1080 BTU/H. Based on 420,900 BTU's in a 20# tank (~4.6 gallons) of propane I calculate just over 16 days if run 24/7. This is assumed at the max setting so I would think even longer could be expected depending on weather and actual refrigerator setting. Larger fridges would obviously use a bit more propane though.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:15 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
The holes the screws are in have been filled with sealer...
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
And why Escape does that is beyond me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
To keep the screws from being so corroded as to not being able to remove?
That's what I assume, too. On another RV with a similar vent I found that there was nothing plugging the holes, water was sitting in them, and the screws were rusty as expected. The caulk shouldn't fill the hole, but a short plug in the top seems like an excellent idea to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:20 PM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Here are my only concerns with the 6.0 cu. ft. fridge:
1) Requires both roof and wall vent panels. In particular if there was a way to avoid the roof hole that would be nice...
Small travel trailers with a propane refrigerator under the counter typically use wall vents both top and bottom, and Escape did that on early models as well. They later switched to a roof vent for the exhaust; that should flow air better, and doesn't let in rain the way an upper wall vent curving inward with the wall does. Of course the current Escape sidewalls are vertical until very near the top, so an upper vent would have less of a rain issue than it did, but the roof vent still works better. Yeah, I don't want roof vents either, but I wouldn't expect an RV manufacturer to do anything else.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:31 PM   #30

Trailer: 2012 E19
I see mentions of noise from compressor fridges; do these units have the thrifty Danfoss/Secop (or similar) compressor or the more common energy-hog residential type compressor? If the former are noisy, it's news to me (relevant news, though). I would like to know what brands you folks have found to be noisy, since I would like to keep things quiet. TIA.

My last 2 trailers have had 2-way or 3-way LP fridges, and neither one performed worth a hoot in hot weather. Besides that, their pilot lights would blow out too frequently during travel. On a 95 degree day the fridge interior would be 55 or 60 if it was still running, and that's just not acceptable. They just weren't dependable at all IMO, and that's why my thoughts have leaned toward a 12V compressor unit (the thrifty type) for my next trailer.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just for some context assuming I'm doing the math right...Our 5CF Dometic RM2510 uses only 1080 BTU/H. Based on 420,900 BTU's in a 20# tank (~4.6 gallons) of propane I calculate just over 16 days if run 24/7. This is assumed at the max setting so I would think even longer could be expected depending on weather and actual refrigerator setting. Larger fridges would obviously use a bit more propane though.
Real world experience matches your calculations. We use 20# of propane in 14-16 days in temps ranging from 60°F to 100°F. If it is colder than 50°F we are starting to run the furnace and the propane disappears faster. Daily cooking takes 15 minutes on the 2 burner cooktop, we rarely run the HW heater. Since we carry 2 tanks of propane that's 4 weeks of fridge usage, not a limiting factor. We also have the 5 cf fridge which has both enough freezer space for the 2 of us and normal cool temp storage. We like having a cabinet above the fridge for additional storage
Old 02-03-2021, 06:34 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I see mentions of noise from compressor fridges; do these units have the thrifty Danfoss/Secop (or similar) compressor or the more common energy-hog residential type compressor?
I have two chest compressor fridges with the Danfoss style compressors. Why...because they are great. Just set the temperature and that is where it stays as long as you have power.

The first one I purchased was for our cargo trailer RV conversion. With our heads 12 feet away there was no question when it cycled on and off. It was relocated to the truck.

In a 19 your head could be as little as 2 feet away depending on what you think is the natural way to sleep.

Personally I would not opt for the compressor fridge until I heard it for myself. It could be one of the biggest mistakes people make if they are sensitive to noise.
Attached Thumbnails
7434FC19-9175-470C-B6C5-C5DA10C732B0.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 06:52 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
In a 19 your head could be as little as 2 feet away depending on what you think is the natural way to sleep.
Interesting point. The same fridge that may be objectionable in a 17 or 19 might be fine in a 21C or 5.0.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:57 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Interesting point. The same fridge that may be objectionable in a 17 or 19 might be fine in a 21C or 5.0.
Except for the people who sleep next to the fridge as I do. My head is right next to the fridge and I need to remember to turn my little 12V fans I installed off overnight. Sometimes I will hear the flame light, yet it is pretty quiet.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:47 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
With our Novakool 12V compressor fridge we do not find it very noisy at all. But what is quiet to some is noisy to others. I find the fridge quite a bit quieter than the furnace when it cuts in, but again I don't find it that noisy either.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 11:22 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
I installed my 7 cu ft Novakool fridge several years ago in my 19 and sleep on the refer side of the bed and have never heard it running. My setup is with 4 wet cell 6 volt batteries and three solar panels and I am always charged back to full by 9:00 - 10:00 AM in full sun, any time of the year in the US. If camping in heavy shade (not very often) I will charge up to full with a generator in about 1 1/2hrs. The Novakool refer upgrade was by far the best improvement I made.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Real world experience matches your calculations. We use 20# of propane in 14-16 days in temps ranging from 60°F to 100°F. If it is colder than 50°F we are starting to run the furnace and the propane disappears faster.
Thanks for the confirmation. The only real world, long term data we have is in cold/mild weather with fridge setting on low to mid-range and a lot of furnace time and some cooking so don’t know how long one tank would last with just fridge running besides calculating/estimating.
Old 02-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #38

Trailer: 2012 E19
Thanks for the feedback on the compressor noise level. I might add that the sounds I find most objectionable are the RV furnace fans and the air conditioners. Most of the electric cube heaters' fans are also irritating, but not as much.
Old 02-04-2021, 02:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I recommend buying your cube heater at a store with a generous return policy. I brought mine home, plugged it in, found it very loud and returned it for another that was fine.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:48 PM   #40

Trailer: Truck camper, pending Escape
Quote:
I liked the more consistent temperature of the compressor fridge, ...
This is what attracted me when I was researching a home build camper. I'd love a big dedicated freezer for those times you come across some great seafood or whatnot and I'd want good temperature maintaining. But the cost is the electrical demand.

The fridge/freezer units with a single compressor are always a compromise between temperature set points I believe. I think it's the same with LPG absorption types but generally they are perfectly adequate.
snas is offline   Reply With Quote