Proper way to disconnct batteries with solar? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Escape Systems | Water, Waste, Charging & Propane
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2021, 01:37 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA towed with a 2017 GMC Canyon V6
Proper way to disconnct batteries with solar?

Putting our 5.0TA to bed for winter here in Sequim. I think one of the batteries is shot as the controller does not show it's present. In any case, I don't have power at my new storage facility so I was thinking of removing the batteries. I have solar on the roof. I see where folks have installed a breaker ahead of the controller but I'll have to order that and I have to move it to the storage tomorrow. Is there a way to remove the batteries for the winter without that breaker and not have to worry about electrical issues?
jkordzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Either cover the panels with an opaque material or disconnect at least one of the wires between the panels & controller.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Either cover the panels with an opaque material or disconnect at least one of the wires between the panels & controller.
If I disconnect the wires between the panel and controller, won't they still be energized if the panel gets sun, potentially presenting an electrical grounding issue and maybe ruining the panel or creating a fire? Does that mean I have to keep the panel covered until I install new batteries? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2021, 02:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkordzi View Post
If I disconnect the wires between the panel and controller, won't they still be energized if the panel gets sun, potentially presenting an electrical grounding issue and maybe ruining the panel or creating a fire? Does that mean I have to keep the panel covered until I install new batteries? Thanks.
While they will still be energized if in the sun, there is no problem with them not being connected to the controller. I'd disconnect one of the panel input wires at the controller and put a wire nut (or tape it). There is no grounding issue since the panels on a fiberglass trailer are not grounded. If you are overly concerned, disconnect and cap both of the solar wires at the controller. Be sure to label them + & - to make it easier to reconnect them.

An alternative is to use a ladder to disconnect one of the MC4 connectors on the roof, but for most disconnecting at the controller is easier.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Unlike many other sources of electric power, solar panels are not harmed by a direct short circuit. Your single panel is lucky to generate 100 watts in winter, so your panel and wires are perfectly safe. But sparks, even small ones, are never a good idea so use the tape or wire nuts as suggested on exposed wires. Cover the panel to keep dirt and acid rain from frosting the glass.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 05:56 PM   #6

Thanks All. I elected to disconnect the panel on the roof. The batteries are shot. Remember that hellacious storm in TX last winter? Well my camper was parked north of Dallas under a roof w/ power, but I suspect over the 10 day period when the power was off the batteries froze, as they were bulged and leaking a bit. Thankfully the battery box contained the mess. So in the Spring, I'll have to decide what type to replace them with.
Old 11-07-2021, 07:44 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Quote:
Thanks All. I elected to disconnect the panel on the roof. The batteries are shot. Remember that hellacious storm in TX last winter? Well my camper was parked north of Dallas under a roof w/ power, but I suspect over the 10 day period when the power was off the batteries froze, as they were bulged and leaking a bit. Thankfully the battery box contained the mess. So in the Spring, I'll have to decide what type to replace them with.
Better yet take a few minutes and install a solar panel disconnect
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2021, 09:30 AM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Last June, during the 300 additional watts added to the roof the same disconnect and box was installed.

However, that box just took up too much space, so I robbed the bracket out of the box and screwed it to some dinette framing. Besides, I didn't want to open the lid, that opens the wrong way, just to get at the disconnect. The wires go in the top and out the bottom of the breakers so the wires aren't exposed anyway. Now if someone knows a link to just that bracket?

During my wiring rebuild and inverter install I've easily used those breakers 20 or more times. The last breaker between the battery and SCC arrived yesterday. The breaker will be installed today, tools put away, and pictures taken when we have sunlight.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-08-2021, 07:19 PM   #9

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Winter solar

We left our e21 near Chicago this winter .We used the pink antifreeze in water tank drained hot water tank and filled the drains with antifreeze .
I left the batteries on (2. 6 volts) with 160 watt solar when I left last week my GoPro was at 14.8 volts am I going to come back to bad batteries BTW I filled the batteries with distilled water before we left
Did I do the right thing for winters in Chicago
I usually bring it home to SW Florida this year I couldn’t.
Thanks for replying JimW
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #10

Well, cars stay outside all winter long and the batteries don't freeze. But most are driven regularly, so they stay charged. I think you may be OK if they stay charged, as a fully charged battery won't freeze until it gets a lot colder than even a Chicago winter. I think my problem was that my batteries lost charge and then froze. When lead acid batteries become fully discharged, they freeze pretty easily.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
We left our e21 near Chicago this winter .We used the pink antifreeze in water tank drained hot water tank and filled the drains with antifreeze .
I left the batteries on (2. 6 volts) with 160 watt solar when I left last week my GoPro was at 14.8 volts am I going to come back to bad batteries BTW I filled the batteries with distilled water before we left
Did I do the right thing for winters in Chicago
I usually bring it home to SW Florida this year I couldn’t.
Thanks for replying JimW
Old 12-08-2021, 10:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
'Da Chicago blues

As long as your panels get reasonable sun, and the snow is not too deep to cover them for weeks, you'll likely be OK,

A buddy has a northern Wisconsin "off-the-grid" cabin, with solar powering it. A record cloudy and snowy spell occurred, and a fan in his composting toilet system. which ran continuously, drained his batteries and they froze. $2K or so in damages.

Live and learn, I guess, and so it goes.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:16 AM   #12

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Winter with Solar

Hopefully the batteries will be fine they are 5 years old though . I was worried that turning off batteries where would the solar energy go? There should be no parasitic draw on these batteries The propane sniffer is disconnected Thanks for replying Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:19 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
Hopefully the batteries will be fine they are 5 years old though . I was worried that turning off batteries where would the solar energy go? There should be no parasitic draw on these batteries The propane sniffer is disconnected Thanks for replying Jim W
The energy goes nowhere, no load means no current. Volts * 0 amps is 0 watts. It's like a garden hose that's shut off.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remove battery, solar