RMD 8555 replacement - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2021, 10:30 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin and Janice View Post
I found this "new for old-simply swap" guide on the dometic website...see attached photo for recommended replacement fridge. Even though I am extremely disappointed in the RMD 8555, I am going to give the RMD 10.5xt a shot. The replacement received good reviews especially in Europe where it has been around a lot longer. I also like how the door can swing open in either direction.
Hi: Vin and Janice... I've hoid about this "Swinging" either way before. Thanks for the swap info.
The 30 yr. old 1.9 cu. ft. we had in our Boler would even freeze lettuce. These fridges work as long as you're willing to do so inside the constraints of the unit. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 11:35 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Vin and Janice, I'm very interested in your project. Thanks for posting, and I look forward to your updates.
Old 09-04-2021, 04:25 PM   #23
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
Sorry to hear your Dometic reached EOL.

Another option in AC/DC only is the Isotherm Cruise 165, 48" high x 19.7" wide x 20.3" deep.

You might also consider stacking a couple of Isotherm or Vitifrigo components or maybe the Vitifrigo DW250. Did you check out the Tundra, Furrion, SunDanzer, and Unique (HomeDepot) models?

Staying about 48-50" tall, less than 22-1/2" wide (to get into the door), and being a fridge/freezer combo is a tough combination to find. If you can go 52-54" tall, there are many options.

73/gus
hmmm. The Isotherm Cruise 195 is about 3" taller but only one inch wider, and I think just might fit with minor cabinet mods, and is 6.9 cu ft inside.

I don't mind relocating the control panels that are above the fridge on our 1st gen 21.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:52 AM   #24
Site Team

well, my service guy got back to me on the Norcold N2175... He can get his hands on one in stock at his distributor but its right hand hinge, and Norcold has *no* ETA on left hand hinge. the 21C needs a left hand hinge. He quoted me $2042 for the fridge, 2.5 hours labor, tax and trip charge it comes to $2600 and some change. I'm trying to find out now if there's a hinge kit to swap the door from right hand to left hand, as I really don't think a right hand hinge would work well in the 21C layout.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:51 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
well, my service guy got back to me on the Norcold N2175... He can get his hands on one in stock at his distributor but its right hand hinge, and Norcold has *no* ETA on left hand hinge. the 21C needs a left hand hinge. He quoted me $2042 for the fridge, 2.5 hours labor, tax and trip charge it comes to $2600 and some change. I'm trying to find out now if there's a hinge kit to swap the door from right hand to left hand, as I really don't think a right hand hinge would work well in the 21C layout.
Agree one need a left hand hinge in a 21

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:46 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
dometic 8555 replacement

i would consider Dometic’s. new improved model RMD 10.5 XT. i believe that it is the same size as well as having doors that open either way. Dwyers RV Parts has it for $2339..
There is also some discussion about installation and wiring elsewhere on this forum.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:30 AM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
i would consider Dometic’s. new improved model RMD 10.5 XT. i believe that it is the same size as well as having doors that open either way. Dwyers RV Parts has it for $2339..

There is also some discussion about installation and wiring elsewhere on this forum.
I like the RMD 10.5XT as well - at least on paper. It's climate class T rated - far better than the SN rating of my RMD8555. So it's designed to work well even when the ambient temps get above 95-100F.
Old 12-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLB View Post
Hi: BILLB... I've hoid of swinging both ways before... but not a fridge!!! The one I googled is still rated SN. Alf
Old 12-04-2021, 11:18 AM   #29
Site Team

I'm just fed up with Dometic's complete lack of parts or service support even via their own authorized service vendors.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:13 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
I'm just fed up with Dometic's complete lack of parts or service support even via their own authorized service vendors.
Currently there are container ships backed up around the world, waiting to unload. There are a hundred containers at the bottom of the ocean near Vancouver Island. Four of them washed up at the north end of the island and disgorged refrigerators for a 'scratch and dent sale'.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:46 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Point well taken. Wish there were more options.
BILLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:00 PM   #32

Quote:
Hi: John in Santa Cruz... Trouble is Dometic is buying up all the competition!!! "Who ya gonna call"? Alf
Old 12-04-2021, 05:01 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: John in Santa Cruz... Trouble is Dometic is buying up all the competition!!! "Who ya gonna call"? Alf
indeed, highly monopolistic predatory behavior.

re: the Norcold, I found a N2000 series installation manual, and it has the procedure for reversing the door, no parts required, you just swap the hinge pins and latch around, and voila! Asked my RV guy to confirm this before dropping the $2000+ but I'm ready to pull the trigger and go compressor.
Old 12-05-2021, 01:38 PM   #34

Trailer: 19 - 2021
Quote:
I don't think I want another propane absorption fridge.
My 2021 E19 came with this:

https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/

We got the camper in October and were only able to use it for a three day trip, but I like it so far. Our last camper had a Norcold absorption. Based on the battery monitor we were using around 25 AH per day. I'm adding a second 100 AH battery to the camper in the spring, and I'd like to get at least a week off grid even in poor solar conditions. The freezer actually kept things frozen, which is a real nice plus to the compressor fridge.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 01:40 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The freezer in my Dometic 2510 absorption fridge also keeps things frozen.
Old 12-05-2021, 02:56 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanerickson View Post
The freezer actually kept things frozen, which is a real nice plus to the compressor fridge.
It's not necessarily a plus just for a compressor fridge. The version of Dometic that we have in the 21 keeps stuff frozen. We've gone on a month long trip and returned home with stuff still frozen. Sadly that wasn't the case for some of the older versions.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:52 PM   #37

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
It's not necessarily a plus just for a compressor fridge. The version of Dometic that we have in the 21 keeps stuff frozen. We've gone on a month long trip and returned home with stuff still frozen. Sadly that wasn't the case for some of the older versions.
Three months for us with the absorption fridge in our 2018 5.0.

It's paid for, works well, but when it dies we'll probably by a Danfoss compressor fridge. Hopefully that never happens.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 12-05-2021, 11:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The freezer in my Dometic 2510 absorption fridge also keeps things frozen.
My 2015 RMD8555 can not keep ice cubes frozen in summer in Albuquerque. And can not keep ice cream properly hard anywhere.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:57 AM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
My 2015 RMD8555 can not keep ice cubes frozen in summer in Albuquerque. And can not keep ice cream properly hard anywhere.
yeah, thats my experience, absorption fridges work OK in mild to moderately warm weather, but totally can't keep up with 100F+ outside temps for any lenght of time.

the RMD8555, with the rooftop chimney vent on my E21 certainly worked better than the small absorption fridges on either my old tent trailer, or my Casita 16, but in 100F weather none of them were able to keep up with 'cool'. The Dometic CMX3-75DZ compressor 'cooler' I;ve bought as a stop gap stays cold frozen well into the upper 100F range outside, so I'm totally convinced. Sure, long term, I'm gonna probably need to double my solar and upgrade to LFP, but thats all good.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:51 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
The Dometic CMX3-75DZ compressor 'cooler' I;ve bought as a stop gap stays cold frozen well into the upper 100F range outside, so I'm totally convinced. ...
Our smaller CMX3-45 got us through a hosting season at Arches last year without any issues - rock hard ice cream for reference.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote