Tank capacities - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2021, 12:47 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
I know options could be to go composting toilet but I need to read more about them. Other option could be to get a portable black tank that could go under the tunneau cover of truck?

RVs definitely are a give and take!
Okay, before you go off on the composting toilet tangent. With a compositing toilet with 4 people you would be emptying the urine container daily.

If you're okay with dealing with containers of urine. You can simply have the guys urinate in a container and then use that for flush water. You just need to make sure there is fluid in the bowl (urine or water) because that's what creates the odor seal between the trailer and the black tank.

Without adding any water you could probably go 5-7 days with the 13.2 gallon tank and 4 people.

I do have portable dump tank which happens to be 13 gallons, I was initially figuring I would have to be sure to dump when the tank was less than half full. Now I guess I don't have to worry about that.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Okay, before you go off on the composting toilet tangent. With a compositing toilet with 4 people you would be emptying the urine container daily.

If you're okay with dealing with containers of urine. You can simply have the guys urinate in a container and then use that for flush water. You just need to make sure there is fluid in the bowl (urine or water) because that's what creates the odor seal between the trailer and the black tank.

Without adding any water you could probably go 5-7 days with the 13.2 gallon tank and 4 people.

I do have portable dump tank which happens to be 13 gallons, I was initially figuring I would have to be sure to dump when the tank was less than half full. Now I guess I don't have to worry about that.
Hey thank you, appreciate the feedback. And since we will probably not be camping for more than 7 days at a time (kids would get bored I'm guessing) I will mark this issue down as solved. Worse case we get a portable black tank to supplement. Thanks!
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thinking out of the box…that the tank is in.

Here is a crude drawing of a thought I had to extend the black tank in a 19. The idea could even be larger in a 21. It uses readily available plumbing pipe attached to the black tank to extend the liquid storage availability.

Typically the problem in dealing with an RV tank is connecting to it and making a good seal. If one was to use a standard toilet flange they could bolt it to the side of the tank with stainless steel hardware and a gasket. The hole in the flange allows your hand and wrench to get inside the tank to tighten the large washers and nuts. I would get a flange that allowed me to drill my own holes every inch or so around the contact area. Then glue on as much pipe and elbows as you feel will drain. I picture a U shape with a Tee on the end that will have a screw on lid on top so that it can be easily removed to flush the new addition. With down converting at the end and a small hatch you could even design a way to flush from the outside. A win win.

I know a new tank would be the best solution but that is way above how far I want to dig into the trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 475326DA-0856-43CD-AF6D-D10664F14A5E.jpg (161.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg 116A05A7-B469-4FBB-8E42-5FD78D92F216.jpg (79.7 KB, 10 views)

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 01:30 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Let's get real, no one is going to do this.
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
No way I would take the risk of black tank being stored inside the living area of a trailer.
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
No way I would take the risk of black tank being stored inside the living area of a trailer.
don't all escapes have the black tank inside?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 04:56 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes the black tank in a 21 extends inside your trailer under your pillow.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2023, 02:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
don't all escapes have the black tank inside?
Yes, every Escape black tank sits on top of the floor, under the toilet and extending into an adjacent interior cabinet. And yes, that's a common practice, especially in trailers that were originally designed to have a low floor (which means most moulded fiberglass trailers).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 2023 21NE
If Boondocking, I just make use of the natural landscape to pee. That leaves more room for her.
Charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 05:37 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos175 View Post
Your profile states " 2014 21' Escape" and you're unaware you sleep on top of the black tank that's right under your bed?

I think most all-molded towables have the black tank inside. AT least the brands that use a marine toilet....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote