Alaska 2025 - Page 11 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #201

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
At the other end of the rail line crossing the Copper River out of Cordova, the bridge construction is an interesting tale also.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:38 PM   #202

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I finally have dependable WIFI!!! So, time to start this thread.

I've been talking to individuals about going to Alaska the summer of 2025. It's time to start planning. We have about 10 months before we would need to start making reservations which everyone would do individually.

So far, I've got two couples and two solos interested. Anyone else?

I've ordered the magazine Milepost and it will be here next Monday and I've joined the Facebook group "RVing to Alaska - the Original." There are several Alaska-focused Facebook groups. I'm hoping we can cover all or most of the groups because the more information the better!

Let's start the discussion....
Going to Alaska is in my bucket list, would you give more info as, what dates, how long will the visit will take, when will be the return date, etc? I will appreciate it so i can see if we can go with you guys.
Cantonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 06:46 PM   #203
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantonio View Post
Going to Alaska is in my bucket list, would you give more info as, what dates, how long will the visit will take, when will be the return date, etc? I will appreciate it so i can see if we can go with you guys.
I know it's a long thread, but you'll know a lot if you start at the beginning and read. I'm STILL working on the itinerary. How long it takes will depend on what people want to see. If no one will tell me, I'll decide!

It looks like we'll be leaving the end of May 2025 from Osoyoos.... oh my, no matter ETI rally or not and we'll get back when we're done. For each overnight, I'll provide choices. People will decide what works best for them and make their own reservations based on the itinerary timeline. People are welcome to jump in or jump out any where along the line. We won't be caravanning in one big group. No more than 3-4 trailers in a group.... you'll read about it near the beginning.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 09:36 AM   #204

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
I know it's a long thread...
This is nothing. I expect this thread to surpass 100 pages by May 2025.
Old 07-31-2023, 11:22 AM   #205

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
How about a 100 pages by the end of the year.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2023, 03:08 PM   #206
Site Team

Someone just posted this in a Facebook group. I STILL WANT TO GO!

"We went into the McCarthy/kennecott area. FYI this is an adventure. First you head off of the Richardson on the road towards McCarthy. When you get to Chitina you then will go another 3 miles to and across the bridge and then see the sign that tells you travel down the road not recommended. Now on the right is a free CG nothing special but it works. We stayed the night and left trailer in the am. Unless you do not care about trashing your trailer don’t trail it. From that point to the pedestrian bridge over to McCarthy is a good 2 hours the road is horrendous even with the truck. There is paid parking and you can camp in that area as well for a fee but again the road is very bad. You then walk the bridge and either walk bike or take a shuttle about 1/2 mile to McCarthy. It is another 5 miles to Kennecott. We rode our bikes and it’s a bit rough. We went back hooked the trailer and went about 10 miles back to the Falls CG which is a state park that n the falls. Fabulous day and we were filthy at the end."
Attached Thumbnails
McCarthy-Kennecott-Sign.jpg  
Old 07-31-2023, 06:07 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
How about a 100 pages by the end of the year.

Ron
Probably right, but I wanted to be conservative.
Old 08-04-2023, 09:27 PM   #208
Site Team

I had someone offer to help me with the route. ROFL
Attached Thumbnails
TripPlanning.jpg  
Old 08-09-2023, 11:01 AM   #209
Site Team

It's nuggets of information such as this, that I'm in Alaska Facebook groups. A lot may change in the next 20 months or so, or it may not....
Attached Thumbnails
FuelUp.JPG  
Old 08-09-2023, 11:12 AM   #210

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
My truck is diesel so I wonder how far apart diesel availability will be. My tank may be 55 gallons but @ 10 or less mpg that only gets me so far. And paying cash for a fill up means needing a fat wallet.
Old 08-09-2023, 11:37 AM   #211
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
My truck is diesel so I wonder how far apart diesel availability will be. My tank may be 55 gallons but @ 10 or less mpg that only gets me so far. And paying cash for a fill up means needing a fat wallet.
I'll go back to that thread on Facebook.... and ask! I'll let you know when I know...
Old 08-09-2023, 05:05 PM   #212

Quote:
You might be driving slower than usual on those roads due to heaves and whatnot; might that improve your fuel economy and range somewhat? Still, some jerry cans of diesel would be reassuring.
Old 08-09-2023, 05:52 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
You might be driving slower than usual on those roads due to heaves and whatnot; might that improve your fuel economy and range somewhat? Still, some jerry cans of diesel would be reassuring.
I think that the only thing that really affects my mpg is going up hills (ouch) & down hills (yay). Anywhere else and a speed to mpg comparison kinda flattens out since the range is so small. Up mountains maybe 2, down mountains it pegs the display at 99, elsewhere the usual is 10-15.

I normally carry 3 7-gallon jugs of water and replacing 2 of them for fuel for this trip wouldn’t be a horrible idea.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:25 PM   #214

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
I’ll need to be able to get diesel fuel every 400 miles or so, too.

I figure it should be available for trucks/rigs, but with air and sea freight, who knows. The class A diesel pushers gotta be getting fuel somewhere….
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 07:37 PM   #215

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
There are trucks on the highway, and construction equipment, but not lots of truck traffic like a major highway further south.
Old 08-13-2023, 12:24 PM   #216
Site Team

Here's some helpful links, for those of you planning your tours and 'want to see' items:

Denali National Park Guide: The Best Tours, Lodging, and Things to Do - Condé Nast Traveler - Lisa Maloney: https://www.cntraveler.com/story/denali-national-park

All The Way To Alaska: 10 Best Hikes In Denali National Park - The Travel - Robynne Trueman: https://www.thetravel.com/best-hikes...national-park/

Unforgettable Things to Do in Alaska: 31 Alaska Adventures - Wanderlust Crew: https://wanderlustcrew.com/things-to-do-in-alaska/

7 Things Not To Miss In Alaska: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/tri...a/ar-AA17oBZB?
Old 08-13-2023, 03:36 PM   #217

Mosquito Control

I've heard the stories and even tho I:
a) lived in SE Alaska for 2 years as a child (turned 13 while there) and
b) travelled the loop and a bit more in 1999;
I don't feel that I've had the real Alaskan Mosquito experience - and don't want to, either.

During the 1999 trip I liberally used Deet (Bens 100) while my (late) wife refused to use it. You don't have to guess who got the long lasting itchy swelling bumps and who didn't. I'll continue to use Deet as needed but would like to use something less problematic if it works.

Thus my question:
Of the following possibilities that I have on hand, which should I just leave home because Alaskan Mosquitos ignore it:

1) Hat with attached netting.
2) Mosquito coverall with hood, no booties or mitts.
3) Citronella coils & sticks. I have a quantity from years past and plan on getting more.
4) Original Thermocell lantern that uses the pads & little fuel canisters. I have a bunch of (old but unopened) pads bought on-the-cheap from India.
5) Newer Thermocell diffuser that uses rechargeable battery & liquid repellent.

Note: I've been prepared for years but have almost never used the highly rated Thermocell products. I just haven't needed it for the past few years.
Old 08-13-2023, 03:48 PM   #218

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
I had someone offer to help me with the route. ROFL
At this point I'm not surprised. I've posted this story before: I know a young man who was stunned when I told him I intend to take my trailer to Alaska. He was surprised because he thought Alaska was an island. I guess there are a lot of people who think this due to how the state is shown on a map of the U.S. How disturbing.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2023, 03:59 PM   #219
Site Team

Quote:
I've heard the stories and even tho I:
a) lived in SE Alaska for 2 years as a child (turned 13 while there) and
b) travelled the loop and a bit more in 1999;
I don't feel that I've had the real Alaskan Mosquito experience - and don't want to, either.

During the 1999 trip I liberally used Deet (Bens 100) while my (late) wife refused to use it. You don't have to guess who got the long lasting itchy swelling bumps and who didn't. I'll continue to use Deet as needed but would like to use something less problematic if it works.

Thus my question:
Of the following possibilities that I have on hand, which should I just leave home because Alaskan Mosquitos ignore it:

1) Hat with attached netting.
2) Mosquito coverall with hood, no booties or mitts.
3) Citronella coils & sticks. I have a quantity from years past and plan on getting more.
4) Original Thermocell lantern that uses the pads & little fuel canisters. I have a bunch of (old but unopened) pads bought on-the-cheap from India.
5) Newer Thermocell diffuser that uses rechargeable battery & liquid repellent.

Note: I've been prepared for years but have almost never used the highly rated Thermocell products. I just haven't needed it for the past few years.
In Alaska, the mosquitos have been vicious this year... depending on location. Some places, none... others you'd need every possible determent or protection. I've bought a couple of nettings for my hat, and will buy Deet before I leave and I know to tape up windows, etc. in the trailer. Those little things come in through the weep holes in the windows! But, I'm not deterred. I'm going!

Too bad someone hasn't invented Citronella chewing gum. I understand mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and maybe THAT would deter them!

On edit: Look what I just read. I'm going to stock up on Clove gum! "Mosquitoes hate the smell of lavender, citronella, clove, peppermint, basil, cedarwood, eucalyptus, peppermint, lemongrass and rosemary. They also hate smells such as smoke..."

https://www.amazon.com/Clove-Gum-20-.../dp/B0002268MA
Old 08-13-2023, 04:37 PM   #220

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
At this point I'm not surprised. I've posted this story before: I know a young man who was stunned when I told him I intend to take my trailer to Alaska. He was surprised because he thought Alaska was an island. I guess there are a lot of people who think this due to how the state is shown on a map of the U.S. How disturbing.
Reminds me of a TV interview with a firefighter this week. When asked where he was from he said Florida. Then, for our Canadian benefit, added that's in the United States.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote