Alaska 2025 - Page 9 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2023, 10:00 PM   #161

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Donna there is a suspension bridge in Miles canyon over the Yukon river close to Whitehorse but the one you linked to is a different one that has a fare and crosses the Tutshi river off the klondike hwy. I haven't been to that one but Miles canyon is free and lots of good hiking. Parking on a nice day can be challenging. You can see the Miles canyon bridge in this photo I took last summer.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2965.jpg  
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:14 PM   #162
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by akmacs View Post
Donna there is a suspension bridge in Miles canyon over the Yukon river close to Whitehorse but the one you linked to is a different one that has a fare and crosses the Tutshi river off the klondike hwy. I haven't been to that one but Miles canyon is free and lots of good hiking. Parking on a nice day can be challenging. You can see the Miles canyon bridge in this photo I took last summer.
Thank goodness someone is paying attention. All I had was "Whitehorse suspension bridge" and Google gave me that hit.

So this one? https://woodrandd.com/the-miles-cany...ension-bridge/
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2023, 10:18 PM   #163

yes, that's looks like it.
Old 07-26-2023, 06:37 PM   #164
Site Team

Everyone probably knows Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska (by population). I wasn't planning any overnight stops there. But there's shopping like Costco (there's two) that folks may want to use.

However, I'm now reading there's a lot to see and do in Anchorage. IF ANYONE is interested in an overnight (or longer), I'll keep my ears open for campground recommendations.

Appears there's some cool stuff to do there:

Alaska Native Heritage Center
Trolley Tour
Alaska Public Lands Information Center
Tony Knowles Coastal Trail for a walk or bike ride
Anchorage Museum (free)
Potter Marsh (Free) – part of the Anchorage Coastal Wildlife Refuge
Kincaid Park (Free)
Alaska Aviation Museum
Alaska Botanical Garden
Alaska Zoo
Ride the free shuttle to the Ulu factory and check out the salmon runs at Ship Creek
Old 07-26-2023, 06:45 PM   #165

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Everyone probably knows Anchorage is the largest city in Alaska (by population). I wasn't planning any overnight stops there. But there's shopping like Costco (there's two) that folks may want to use.

However, I'm now reading there's a lot to see and do in Anchorage. IF ANYONE is interested in an overnight (or longer), I'll keep my ears open for campground recommendations.

Trolley Tour
Anchorage Museum (free)
Kincaid Park (Free)
Alaska Aviation Museum
Alaska Botanical Garden
Alaska Zoo
Ride the free shuttle to the Ulu factory and check out the salmon runs at Ship Creek

Earthquake Park? https://www.anchorage.net/outdoors/t...rthquake-park/
Lawrence A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 07:04 PM   #166

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
One thing I found out the hard way, even if you have the latest gas station list (handed out at milepost zero welcome center), it doesn’t mean the station will be open or will have gas.

We’ve driven to AK five times. The roads have gotten continually better. But not always the case on fuel. I learned to never pass an open gas station unless you have about 3/4 of a tank. Towing tends to cut fuel economy too.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 08:03 PM   #167

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
One thing I found out the hard way, even if you have the latest gas station list (handed out at milepost zero welcome center), it doesn’t mean the station will be open or will have gas.

We’ve driven to AK five times. The roads have gotten continually better. But not always the case on fuel. I learned to never pass an open gas station unless you have about 3/4 of a tank. Towing tends to cut fuel economy too.
When I went in 1999 I made the mistake one time of deciding to fill up at the next town. After all, I knew that I could make it - even if I needed to use the emergency stash of a couple gallons. We made it with no problem but upon pulling into the station we discovered that the power was out. Several hours later we filled up & continued.
StillCampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2023, 09:27 PM   #168

The hike to Flattop is a popular activity (easy-moderate climb) here but there is a day use fee for parking.
https://www.anchorage.net/outdoors/t...ttop-mountain/
Old 07-27-2023, 09:12 AM   #169

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

Trolley Tour
Anchorage Museum (free)
Kincaid Park (Free)
Alaska Aviation Museum
Alaska Botanical Garden
Alaska Zoo
Hi Donna - I think it would be a good idea to plan a layover in or near Anchorage, because with all the miles we will have gone, we might need goods or services we couldn’t find along the way.

This way, we have things we can do from the list you posted if we don’t need anything, and we also have easy access to vehicle services and Costco, shopping mall, etc, somewhere mid trip.

Curt and Birdie stayed at a place in Palmer, on pg 79 of their log. It’s a potential place.

Just my thoughts on it.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:32 AM   #170
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post

Curt and Birdie stayed at a place in Palmer, on pg 79 of their log. It’s a potential place.

Just my thoughts on it.
Palmer is about 50 miles north of Anchorage. We will go through Palmer before we hit Anchorage, because we're traveling North to South on Hwy 3. Curt and Birdie went the other way.

I've found a national forest campground in Portage, which is about 50 miles south of Anchorage: Chugach National Forest, Williwaw Campground, Portage, AK
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/campgrounds/232324

Then there's this and it's actually IN Anchorage, in a residential setting. Bet they have full-timers... it's a Good Sam park

Golden Nugget: http://www.goldennuggetcamperpark.com/

Then, there's this one, Creekwood Hotel and RV Park: https://www.creekwoodhotel.com/

On Edit: I'm listing Walmart, Safeway and Fred Meyer stores in towns itinerary
Old 07-27-2023, 10:27 AM   #171

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
All three are a short days drive from Homer, which I assume would be a place we’d camp next.

Google ratings:
Williwaw 4.7
Creekwood 3.6
Golden nugget 3.4

Williwaw looks beautiful, like a place we might want to stay for a couple days, even if it wasn’t close to the largest city in AK
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 10:50 AM   #172
Site Team

Quote:
All three are a short days drive from Homer, which I assume would be a place we’d camp next.
I have Williwaw on the itinerary, there's a great tram tour in Girdwood!:

Near Girdwood, AK:
US Forest Service Campground, Williwaw Campground: https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/chug...=6604&actid=29 (Reservations may be made up to 180 days prior to your desired arrival date) No services $33

We're down on the peninsula at this point and there is LOTS to see and do. I actually have overnight stops at Soldotna-Kenai, AK before we even get to Homer.

Red pins are possible overnight stops, blue pins are possible tours.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Old 07-27-2023, 12:20 PM   #173
Site Team

These people are currently camping in Denali National Park at Riley campground. Nice site, and a cool campsite flag! And yes, WE are going to do a bunch of EPIC $HIT on this trip!
Attached Thumbnails
LicensePlate.JPG  
Old 07-27-2023, 01:43 PM   #174

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
FWIW, I pulled into Denali one year trying to get a campsite. It was all reserved months in advance. So I continued down the highway. About 10 miles further, I came to Denali State Park. Hmm, same great mountain. It was a glorified rest area but had places to set up tents and a bathroom. And lots of available sites! And cheap too.

I continued on to Homer. Camped along the way at Tenderfoot Creek Campground. It’s a forest service campground, even gave me 50% off with the senior pass. At Homer, it’s a MUST to camp at the Spit. Has a Key West vibe to it.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 02:10 PM   #175
Site Team

Quote:
FWIW, I pulled into Denali one year trying to get a campsite. It was all reserved months in advance. So I continued down the highway. About 10 miles further, I came to Denali State Park. Hmm, same great mountain. It was a glorified rest area but had places to set up tents and a bathroom. And lots of available sites! And cheap too.

I continued on to Homer. Camped along the way at Tenderfoot Creek Campground. It’s a forest service campground, even gave me 50% off with the senior pass. At Homer, it’s a MUST to camp at the Spit. Has a Key West vibe to it.

We're on the same wave length. In Denali National Park, ONLY some tent sites are first come, first serve, all others by advance reservations. We will be making our reservations on Dec. 1, 2024... according to the NPS website.

However, you're right Denali State Park is also recommended and it's "across the street" from the National Park. I have it on the itinerary. According to the state park website the BEST viewing of Denali is in a number of turn outs in the state park.

I have five campground links for Homer alone Three on the spit. There are so many choices, I hope everyone can find what works best for them.
Old 07-27-2023, 04:48 PM   #176

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
My post #79
Yes, Denali is on most folks list. Here's the thing. If a large number of folks all want the same dates and folks all over America also want to hit the reserve button the same second reservations open up some may be disappointed.

But all isn't lost and it's not a big deal if you all don't get reservations. Denali has a large visitor parking lot. We didn't have reservations, almost got a spot but in the end didn't. No problem. Parked in the parking lot and took the bus tour deep into the park, the same bus that you'd take if you were staying in the campground.

Came back, drove down the highway to a combination rest stop/overnight campground. Free for stopping at during the day, small fee if you overnight there. Right on the river and ironically gave us the best view of Denali all day. In the park the view was obscured by clouds.

I think this is the same place as my post #79

Again, all isn't lost if you don't get to stay in the park campsite. You can still take the park tour bus deep into the park to the Eielson Visitor Center.

The view of Denali was obscured by cloud both in the park and at this place. But later the clouds lifted and we got our best view of Denali.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P6190577_resize.jpg   P6200593_resize.jpg   P6200600_resize.jpg   P6200601_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 06:46 PM   #177
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My post #79
Yes, Denali is on most folks list. Here's the thing. If a large number of folks all want the same dates and folks all over America also want to hit the reserve button the same second reservations open up some may be disappointed.

But all isn't lost and it's not a big deal if you all don't get reservations. Denali has a large visitor parking lot.
This is the type of stop over that everyone needs to decide what works best for them. I'm going to do everything in my power to get reservations at Denali National Park, in the Riley campground. IF it means staying awake all night long on opening day of reservations! I want to spend three days in the park. I want to take the hop on, hop off bus tour. I don't want to just spend more time sitting in a seat. I want to hike some of it. There's some great trails right out of the Riley campground. I may want to take a plane/helicopter flightseeing tour... that depends on my budget. And I want to visit every shop in Denali Village and maybe have a meal or snack there too. Baring that, I'll try for Denali State Park and if THAT doesn't work, I'll try for one of the commercial campgrounds just a bit outside the park. YMMV
Old 07-27-2023, 09:01 PM   #178

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
DEET is supposed to be terribly corrosive to anything you put it on, so don’t, until you know you’ll need it.
A good comparison of permethrin, DEET and picaridin. We got home from northern Minnesota on Tuesday after spending 3 days at a cabin in a heavily forested area, on Moose Lake. Picaridin works for black flies. DEET is not really effective for those biting little beasts. Permethrin is used for clothing and is generally safe for that purpose.

https://healthcenter.indiana.edu/hea...ecautions.html
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2023, 09:03 PM   #179

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Denali is worth some time. We usually camp at Wonder Lake, but that is not for RV’s. The views there, typically late at night, are the best. The bus, with many pairs of eyes, is good for seeing wildlife.
Old 07-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #180
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

...You can still take the park tour bus deep into the park to the Eielson Visitor Center.

Ron
Unfortunately, taking the Denali park tour bus all the way to Eielson Visitor Center is no longer possible. Official Denali Website still states: [The Eielson Visitor Center is located at Mile 66 of the Denali Park Road. Due to the ongoing Pretty Rocks landslide and the closure of the park road at Mile 42, Eielson is currently closed.]

So what used to be an all day bus tour is now more like a 5-6 hour bus tour depending on how good everyone is at spotting wildlife and how long your bus driver is willing to stop and look. Our bus driver last year said he wasn't sure if the they were ever going to be able to fix that landslide or not since the road has totally crumbled away on the side of the mountain. But even with the shorter bus ride, we still enjoyed it and saw some fun wildlife and beautiful scenery. Never knew a grizzly bear could look so white! It was called a 'golden' grizzly, but you needed binoculars to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Denali is worth some time. We usually camp at Wonder Lake, but that is not for RV’s. The views there, typically late at night, are the best. The bus, with many pairs of eyes, is good for seeing wildlife.

Yes! Denali is definitely worth the time. It took us 12 days in that general area (from Talkeetna over to Fairbanks) before we saw the full glorious splendor of Mt Denali. It is frequently hidden by clouds in the summer months. We agree, the more eyes looking for the wildlife on the bus ride, the better.
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote