Alaska 2025 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2023, 11:15 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
We need to start someplace, right? How about where we begin. I've received a couple of PMs that folks want to attend the Escape Rally in Osoyoos and this would be a great time to do it. We'll just assume the event will still be happening and if not, well the campground is still there!

Looking at the 2025 calendar that means we'd need to start the trip a bit earlier. Like Sunday, May 25 or Monday, May 26. Either is fine with me.

Would this be a good idea?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 11:39 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerMan View Post
Looks like this is going to be a busy thread. I drove the Alcan in 1958. All dirt and gravel and rough as h___!

If I did something like this it would be a spur of the moment type of decision. Show up and say 'Where do I go'.

At my age, I only make spur of the moment decisions.
Two friends (then husband and wife) did it c. 1960, in an old VW crash-box (no synchromesh) beetle (with the split rear window). Came back with an antique roll-top desk and a Husky puppy (named 'Mos'kits' which means 'Hello' in Eskimo, IIRC).

I, too, prefer spur-of-the-moment decisions, but my wife wants to plan everything.

If we ever made a trip like that, I'd want to go with others as well, especially after breaking down last Saturday and spending the whole afternoon arranging for tows; thankfully, we weren't out in the middle of nowhere.
Old 07-06-2023, 12:23 PM   #43

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
We need to start someplace, right? How about where we begin. I've received a couple of PMs that folks want to attend the Escape Rally in Osoyoos and this would be a great time to do it. We'll just assume the event will still be happening and if not, well the campground is still there!

Looking at the 2025 calendar that means we'd need to start the trip a bit earlier. Like Sunday, May 25 or Monday, May 26. Either is fine with me.

Would this be a good idea?
Yes, it’s good to start somewhere. Mary and myself were planning to go to Vancouver in July of 2025 for another event. I guess what I’m saying is you’ll get a lot of different requests, so roughing an outline of start and then various milestones is a great start.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 04:25 PM   #44

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
I’ve been wanting a return trip ever since 1999 when I did the ferry plus drive with a small canvas pop up. Widowed in 2016, I know that I won’t make that drive alone for safety & other reasons stated by Donna D. At this time I can’t commit to 2025 simply because there is a chance that some friends will be going in 2024 and I might join them. I will be @ Quartzsite & then Winterblast in 2024. The timing of the potential 2024 trip with friends would allow me to join them after the ETI rally (if held in late May). If I don’t go in 2024 then this 2025 trip is likely my last chance since I’m no longer a spring chicken.

For planning purposes… I know that I want to go north via the Alcan and return via the Cassair. Since the Seward & Valdez areas were missed in 1999 I want to include them. I have no desire to head for the Arctic Ocean but a trip across the Top of the World, again, wouldn’t be out of the question. A side tour to see glaciers calving would be considered. And I’d really like to see the Denali not socked in by fog even if I don’t camp on its slopes.
Old 07-06-2023, 05:07 PM   #45

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Interested, but not sure. We definitely plan to visit Alaska - though the timing is TBD. With plans to retire in 2026, not sure if we can make it happen in 2025. So, it will be a late decision for us.

I will follow the thread and see how the plans develop. If we can do it (a near-time decision), we can see if it's OK to join / tag along - at least on the way over. If not, we'd like to learn from your experience.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 06:21 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post
For planning purposes… I know that I want to go north via the Alcan and return via the Cassair. Since the Seward & Valdez areas were missed in 1999 I want to include them. I have no desire to head for the Arctic Ocean but a trip across the Top of the World, again, wouldn’t be out of the question. A side tour to see glaciers calving would be considered. And I’d really like to see the Denali not socked in by fog even if I don’t camp on its slopes.
Excellent, that's exactly the discussion we need! Thanks
Old 07-06-2023, 08:15 PM   #47

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
What is the total length of the trip you are planning? Keep in mind that June and early July is the peak of mosquito season. If I were planning month and a half in Alaska, I'd choose mid-July to late August / early September.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 08:25 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
What is the total length of the trip you are planning? Keep in mind that June and early July is the peak of mosquito season. If I were planning month and a half in Alaska, I'd choose mid-July to late August / early September.
Kinda looks like we'll be leaving Osoyoos the last week of May and we'll return when we're done. . I need to be back home by the end of August. A lot of the timing has to do with the (possible) Escape Rally. Those traveling a long distance want to include that into the trip. A number of people have never attended it and may never pass that way again.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2012 E19
I read a comment on iRV forum by a person who just drove the highway from Destruction Bay to Tok, and said it was horrible. She wrote: "Damaged our tow bar, and other things in the process, I understand some people lost more." Just passing the info along. I guess the other way to go would be north at Whitehorse through Dawson City? Or conditions might change in 2 years' time.
Old 07-06-2023, 10:53 PM   #50

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
That section of the road is always being repaired due to permafrost issues. I never found it horrible. Just slow down. Top of the World has always been worse, but I’ve not been on it in years. These are remote roads that allow you to see things many have not. Drive them with the idea the journey is the trip, not just a way to string together destinations.
Old 07-06-2023, 11:39 PM   #51

Trailer: 2022 21C
We've been interested and I've been looking into an Alaskan trip for a few years (and a few RVs ago!). 2025 seems far enough away to plan it and work out all the kinks.
Will definitely be following this thread and willing to help out where possible.
Old 07-07-2023, 01:48 AM   #52

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
Destruction Bay to Tok can be brutal on your trailer unless you slow down and watch closely for the damaged areas (usually marked in Canada by red flags) so you can slow down even more as needed. I actually find the gravel portion of the Top of the World smoother but it can degrade with extended rain. I recently discovered rock damage under our 5.0 near the driver's side landing gear and decided I won't do another Dawson City/Whitehorse trip without addition protection against rocks (we already used the towtector whisker "mudflaps"). I drive slowly over gravel but oncoming vehicles often speed by stirring up the rocks in their wake.

We love to do the Klondike loop and typically make the trip in the late June to Mid July timeframe. There will be mosquitoes. We have a pop up bug tent that can sit over the picnic tables when they are bad. When it's really buggy we break out the deet, and use the gentle stuff otherwise.

Good luck on the planning it will be a great trip!
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 08:35 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We are planning one day to hit Alaska with our trailer. Just not sure when yet. This year is the three month trip starting next Wednesday to The Maritimes and a wedding late September in Cap Code, then meandering home.

My experience with Alaska was a couple weeks from Juneau to Sitka via private yacht and while very nice I would love to experience more of the state.

I do have a bit of concern with too large of a group and love the idea of travelling as a group of 2 or 4 trailers. Maybe if there ends up being an overall itinerary planned, folks could just hook up when they could. Some may want more time in some places.

Anyway, I will be keeping an eye on things here, at the least to get ideas for when I do go to Alaska should our timing differ from this trip.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM   #54

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I remember Juneau...
Attached Thumbnails
Aka022.jpg  
Old 07-07-2023, 12:28 PM   #55

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillCampin View Post

I'd suggest heading up on the Cassiar and return via Alcan. The reason I make the suggestion is that it appears the Group will starting in Osoyoos and both routes are the same after Watson lake. Both Seward ak & Valdez AK are west of Watson Lake. The Alcan will workout much better for those heading home to the east and wouldn't really make much difference for those heading south as both routes would still go through Prince George. I think most would also save a little on gas as well. The Best reason would be everyone could relax at the ever so wonderful Liard Hot Springs before going their separate ways home.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 12:42 PM   #56
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Last year we also found the section of Hwy from Destruction Bay to Tok peppered with many large potholes and it had long stretches with loose gravel from heavy construction work all over. Even the locals gave us fair warning to slow down. We ended up driving around 30ish mph (50kph) for most of that section. We did just fine.

However, by the time we got to Anchorage, we decided to purchase a rock tamer for our Expedition at Cablelas ( https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/rock...ud-flap-system ) for our upcoming Klondike Loop (from Tok /over to Dawson City/ down to Whitehorse). Very glad we did. Felt so much better after that, looking into our rear view mirror and seeing all the rocks bounce off the rock tamers and not the Escape trailer AND the rock tamers help keep the trailer cleaner.

Oh and yes, the Canadians do place a small red triangle flag on the side of the road that warns you to slow down for any damaged section. However, we found these flags are sometimes hard to see because they are low to the ground and off to the right so be on the lookout for them! They can sneak up on you since you are concentrating so much on the road for potholes and frost heaves. But they really do help, if you see them in time... -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 03:15 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0ta
We are definitely interested in joining the group to Alaska the summer of 2025.

Ron and Jessica Brown
Escape 5.0 TA
Brownjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 07:50 PM   #58

Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
I believe we'd be interested. On our bucket list a long time. Wife's asleep right now.... 2 years out would give us time to plan and help plan, maybe even to get a 21NE by then! I like the way you think Donna, agree with you completely. Not sure where we'd be inclined to meet since we're coming from IA, don't NEED to go thru Pacific NW, depends on hiway connections and others' plans of course. But that's what planning is for! Flexible on schedules and routes, and we DO have two 17mo Boxers that have to come with us.... :-)
Camp@Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2023, 09:30 PM   #59
Site Team

Started the pins! We zoom from Osoyoos to Tok, Alaska...

Lots and lots to fill in yet.

Osoyoos, BC
Tok, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Coldfoot, AK
Talkeetna, AK (Denali)
Homer, AK
Seward, AK
Valdez, AK
Haines, AK
Attached Thumbnails
MapPins.JPG  
Old 07-07-2023, 11:06 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I'm definitely interested and available to help in planning/logistics too.
Mary O is offline   Reply With Quote