Alaska 2025 - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2023, 02:28 PM   #101

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Alaska trailer rally?

Would it be feasible or even desirable for someone to organize an Escape trailer rally in Alaska? That would give caravan participants a place and date as a target to meet up.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 03:23 PM   #102
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Would it be feasible or even desirable for someone to organize an Escape trailer rally in Alaska? That would give caravan participants a place and date as a target to meet up.
Angie and Ronda put one together in 2021. I suppose it would depend if they plan to be home during the necessary time frame for 2025. 2021 Alaska Escape Rally June 4-7th
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 04:59 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I thought that Mike was volunteering.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 07:59 PM   #104

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I thought that Mike was volunteering.

Ron

I live in Florida! F-L-O-R-I-D-A! I know nothing about Alaska except for its location, and the knowledge that its climate is somewhat different from what I'm used to.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 08:01 PM   #105

Trailer: 2018 5.0 T/A "Escaper"
This was taken from the rv park we were staying at in Homer last Wednesday. They've had a very rainy & cool summer overall. It was a nice treat to have a couple sunny days down there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4463.jpg  
akmacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 09:57 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I live in Florida! F-L-O-R-I-D-A! I know nothing about Alaska except for its location, and the knowledge that its climate is somewhat different from what I'm used to.
But Mike with all your experience travelling far and wide you'd be a natural. Plus, with your ham radio abilities you could also be the Rally Director of Communications.

Ron
Old 07-20-2023, 09:44 PM   #107

Trailer: 2022 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
ALL this trip is for the summer of 2025. When I talk about a year to plot and plan, it's because we will need to make most site reservations starting June 2024. Denali! That means we'll pretty much have the route and overnight stops firmed up by late MAY 2024. That will then give you a year to save money for fuel, food, tchotchkes, last minute tours, etc.
Does that mean we would have to be "in" by May 2024? I have been following this thread and might be interested but I have a Cow addiction I have to shed first. We are only a couple hours from Dawson Creek so we could jump in there.
Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2023, 09:57 PM   #108

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
Does that mean we would have to be "in" by May 2024? I have been following this thread and might be interested but I have a Cow addiction I have to shed first. We are only a couple hours from Dawson Creek so we could jump in there.
You might have to get a moo-ve on that cow addiction.
Old 07-20-2023, 10:00 PM   #109
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair View Post
I hope to have the itinerary 'formalized' by mid-May 2024. But people can jump in and jump out anywhere along the route. I'd just like to know who wants to do it.... even some of it by then.

BTW: The itinerary I'm preparing has us going via the Cassiar Highway to Alaska and the Alaska Highway leaving. That was an early suggestion, since folks would be on the east side of Canada when they peeled off to head home going easterly...
Old 07-20-2023, 10:31 PM   #110

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
I hope to have the itinerary 'formalized' by mid-May 2024. But people can jump in and jump out anywhere along the route. I'd just like to know who wants to do it.... even some of it by then.

BTW: The itinerary I'm preparing has us going via the Cassiar Highway to Alaska and the Alaska Highway leaving. That was an early suggestion, since folks would be on the east side of Canada when they peeled off to head home going easterly...
Will we be going through Haines, Seaward, Homer, and then to Fairbanks then Denali? Basically that direction, or ? I’m looking at things to do along the way and wondering the order of stops. I have Church’s book on the way too, along with Birdies travel log. My parents are going to share their travel log from 2009 also.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2023, 08:40 AM   #111
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitting_lanes View Post
Will we be going through Haines, Seaward, Homer, and then to Fairbanks then Denali? Basically that direction,
Well kinda.. Haines will happen in the BC portion. This is the preliminary list, in order. Not all towns are stay overs, some are listed due to items of interest.

Osoyoos!
Cache Creek, BC
Clinton, BC
Smithers, BC
Stewart, BC/Hyder, AK
Iskut, BC
Teslin, YK
Skagway-Haines, AK
Whitehorse, YK
Haines Junction, YK
Koidern, YK

Tok, AK
North Pole, AK
Fairbanks, AK
Denali State Park
Denali National Park
Talkeetna, AK
Anchorage, AK,
Soldotna-Kenai, AK
Homer, AK
Seward, AK
Valdez, AK
Glennellen, AK
Chicken, AK

Dawson City, YT
Carmacks, YK
Whitehorse, YK
Watson Lake, YK
Coal River, BC
Liard River, BC
Toad River, BC
Fort Nelson
Sikanni Chief, BC
Dawson Creek, BC
Prince George
Old 07-21-2023, 11:47 AM   #112

Quote:

Interesting. I'm wondering how many folks will choose doing the Stewart-Cassiar over taking the ferry and seeing Juneau and the Mendenhall Glacier, Petersburg, Wrangull and Kethikan.

Ron
Old 07-21-2023, 11:57 AM   #113

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Quote:
Interesting. I'm wondering how many folks will choose doing the Stewart-Cassiar over taking the ferry and seeing Juneau and the Mendenhall Glacier, Petersburg, Wrangull and Kethikan.

Ron
Yeah that is a tough choice if you can’t do both because each is beautiful and different.
Old 07-21-2023, 05:38 PM   #114
Site Team

Quote:

Ron
I plan to do both, just not in the same trip. And not the ferry but an inside passage cruise. But this time, I want to drive all the good roads and the bad too... just hope there aren't too many bad. You see the landscape differently from land to water. It's about choices. I decided I wanted to drive it while I'm still capable of long trips.
Old 07-21-2023, 11:33 PM   #115

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
We are seriously considering joining this trip, leaving from Washington to Osoyoos and then onward. The proposed stops/routes look great so far. Like Donna we would forgo the ferry and stick with driving. There is no time like the present for planning. I think that the time of year will be buggy so mosquito outfits may be a critical fashion choice.
Catherine and Sally
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 06:06 AM   #116

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
We are seriously considering joining this trip, leaving from Washington to Osoyoos and then onward. The proposed stops/routes look great so far. Like Donna we would forgo the ferry and stick with driving. There is no time like the present for planning. I think that the time of year will be buggy so mosquito outfits may be a critical fashion choice.
Catherine and Sally
I did one of my active duty stints in Alaska (60-62). We did a lot of training in the field up around the Tok Junction area. One thing I can vividly remember is the mosquitos and various other bugs. Vicious critters! No way to get away from them.

Buggers could stand flatfooted and 'whup' a turkey.
Old 07-22-2023, 08:14 AM   #117
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by outwiththedogs View Post
I think that the time of year will be buggy so mosquito outfits may be a critical fashion choice.
Catherine and Sally
From the recent readings I've done, it's definitely an issue. I've started shopping for items I'll need/want for the trip. These were delivered the beginning of the week. Rain this time of the year is another issue. I have Frogg Toggs in my cart now, just need to make certain I have the right size.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.JPG  
Old 07-22-2023, 12:51 PM   #118
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
From the recent readings I've done, it's definitely an issue. I've started shopping for items I'll need/want for the trip. These were delivered the beginning of the week. Rain this time of the year is another issue. I have Frogg Toggs in my cart now, just need to make certain I have the right size.
Hi Donna, Those look to be similar in size to what we got and used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 A must-have item!

You will find that the further north you go from Osoyoos, the more you need the netting. We also brought along these netting jackets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 To be honest, we didn't wear the jackets much since it was quite chilly last year so our regular jackets sufficed along with some gloves to cover up the hands. I took off my glove once to take a selfie of us and 3 mosquitoes landed on my hand within 15 seconds! Nasty suckers! My husband didn't get one bite but they loved me. Oh, and don't forget the anti-itch cream!

On the bright side, there were plenty of places on our Alaska journey that did not have any (bug/mosquito) problems so hope this 'Alaskan bird' https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1060_.jpg conversation doesn't dissuade some from going. It was very manageable and well worth this minor annoyance.

For those still trying to figure out what places or tours you'd like to do, take a look at Alaska Tour Savors :https://toursaver.com (or other coupon books like this) for ideas. This is a 2 for 1 type of coupon book (or iPhone app). Probably too early to place an order now (for 2025) but it may not only help with your trip planning, it could save you some $$. A lovely couple in Palmer Alaska told us about this coupon book and it was a great deal. We paid $89 for it and we saved over $250 from tours we were already planning on doing. One of our highlights in Delani Park was the 'Alaska Cabin Night Dinner Theater'. https://www.denaliparkvillage.com/th...inner-theatre/ with all you can eat Salmon, BBQ ribs and Berry Cobbler...need I say more?! The performers are also your servers and tell of the stories of the early settlers in Alaska - great fun! Not sure if this was in the coupon book or not but totally worth it! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 01:16 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

You will find that the further north you go from Osoyoos, the more you need the netting. We also brought along these netting jackets:
I'm not so sure that it works that way. Yes, there can be lot's of bugs up North but there can be horrible bugs almost anywhere in the world. Wells Gray Park and Ayers Rock come to mind as the two worst ever places.

A couple of weeks ago, at our favorite lake, Big Bar, we were disappointed that suddenly mosquitoes were very nasty when usually they're not a problem at all.

So we always carry bug hats. Not so sure about those mesh jackets. Some mosquitoes can get through heavy jeans so I wonder about the mesh. I guess I'd have to see them in use to be sure that they work.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Dawson Falls Wells Gray_resize.jpg  
Old 07-22-2023, 02:05 PM   #120

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have full mesh coated in DEET. I don’t need it often but the buggers will ignore Barb and eat me alive. I have socks, pants, jacket, head net, and mittens. The do work. Nothing is 100%, but it’s helpful when needed. The hood and raincoat is most typical. Fleece and rain gear are essentials for me.