Alaska 2025 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2023, 06:40 PM   #81

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
The Milepost planner came in the mail yesterday. Ooooooh the pictures! I'm so, so looking forward to this trip. Having nearly a year to plot and plan is going to help.

Tell us about the 'tours' you would like to take, either paid or where you drive yourself. That's all part of the planning.

I'll start. I want to take a paid Drive Tour out of Fairbanks to Coldfoot. It's a one day trip. I want to cross the Arctic Circle! And I want someone else to drive (although I am considering the Fly/Drive option...): https://www.alaska.org/detail/northe...a-tour-company
I would be willing to drive without the trailer in tow. And the Fly/Drive tour sounds better than going both directions on the road.

I’ve heard that road is slow going and rough. But I know nothing from personal experience.

However, if we camp somewhere where we can unhitch, we can fit two people in the back for day excursions.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 07:05 PM   #82

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Quote:
The Milepost planner came in the mail yesterday. Ooooooh the pictures! I'm so, so looking forward to this trip. Having nearly a year to plot and plan is going to help.

Tell us about the 'tours' you would like to take, either paid or where you drive yourself. That's all part of the planning.

I'll start. I want to take a paid Drive Tour out of Fairbanks to Coldfoot. It's a one day trip. I want to cross the Arctic Circle! And I want someone else to drive (although I am considering the Fly/Drive option...): https://www.alaska.org/detail/northe...a-tour-company
Having done this a couple of times (without camper) - you can easily do it without the camper. Also, multiple people can share the ride. As for stay, I’d recommend Wiseman, just a bit part Coldfoot - as that’s nicer. The drive North to the Brooks range and over the Antigun pass over to Prudhoe Bay is nice as well. You can just go to the Antigun pass and return from there to Fairbanks if you like, though it is a long drive back.

It is totally doable but do keep an extra spare and drive slowly on the unsaved path.
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 08:18 PM   #83

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
If you’re interested in trains, the Klondike gold rush or yet another spectacular northern vista, I would recommend the train between Carcross YK (close to Whitehorse) and Skagway AK.

The train track was laid during the gold rush and includes stops at Bennet Lake where you can see how the gold hunters lived during their staging between the climb from Skagway along the Chilkoot trail to boats to get to the Dawson area.

Very beautiful countryside. We saw a blonde grizzly beside the tracks when we took this several years ago.

https://wpyr.com
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2023, 09:42 PM   #84
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
The great Del McCoury did a song about the White Pass and Yukon Railroad:

Old 07-14-2023, 05:44 PM   #85
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Everyone probably knows Canada is on fire. These are the current conditions. The one pic was taken just west of Prince George. So for our trip, we'll need to be someone adaptable. Campgrounds could cancel reservations and highways can be closed temporarily if conditions are similar.
Attached Thumbnails
Fires.jpg   PrinceGeorge.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:07 PM   #86

Trailer: 2006 17B
wildfires

Quote:
Everyone probably knows Canada is on fire. These are the current conditions. The one pic was taken just west of Prince George. So for our trip, we'll need to be someone adaptable. Campgrounds could cancel reservations and highways can be closed temporarily if conditions are similar.

Don't worry. At this rate there won't be anything left to burn by 2025.

Andrew.
AndrewPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:17 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Actually it's not just forest fires in BC that can ruin things. In the past we've been in Jasper with smoke so thick that it obscured the mountains. The main reason to be in Jasper. But it was smoke from fires in Oregon etc.

One good thing about planning to leave from the rally, if one happens, is that it's earlier in the season and that reduces the risk a bit.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:10 AM   #88

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by camp4528 View Post
If you’re interested in trains, the Klondike gold rush or yet another spectacular northern vista, I would recommend the train between Carcross YK (close to Whitehorse) and Skagway AK.

The train track was laid during the gold rush and includes stops at Bennet Lake where you can see how the gold hunters lived during their staging between the climb from Skagway along the Chilkoot trail to boats to get to the Dawson area.

Very beautiful countryside. We saw a blonde grizzly beside the tracks when we took this several years ago.
I made this train trip in '61'. We drove our car onto the trains flatcars to take with us. The stop at Bennet lake was also a breakfast stop. 'Boarding house' breakfast! Platters of food placed on the table and long arms were a must. Pot bellied stoves in the cars. Nice trip. Continued on to Juneau on the ferry.
Old 07-15-2023, 09:54 AM   #89

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:

https://wpyr.com
I have only been to Alaska on a cruise ship. We took the White Pass & Yukon train out of Skagway, a beautiful trip with many gold rush artifacts along the route. This trip had special significance for me. My Grandfather hiked the Chilkoot trail as a gold miner when he was 19 years old. He went with two of his uncles. They were all gold miners in Cripple Creek Colorado. They did not strike it rich, but they did make it back alive. I am interested in this trip and will be
monitoring this thread, and probably others to come on the same subject.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 10:39 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post

We took the White Pass & Yukon train out of Skagway,
When I was a child the White Pass and Yukon had a large sign on their waterfront warehouse. It evoked visions of gold miners and the mysterious lands to the North.

Years later things came full circle when we visited Skagway as part of our Alaska trip.

As can be seen on my previously posted map it's possible to do Alaska in large loop circuits that don't involve doubling back on your route. There are two exceptions: Skagway and the Kenai Peninsula.

Two ways to see Skagway. Both don't involve taking the trailer to Skagway. Leave the trailer either in Carcross or Whitehorse and drive or take the historic train. If you drive you'll likely see the train huffing and puffing along.

Advantages of the car is that it's a lot more flexible but the lure of riding a historic train is strong.

Skagway is a historic townsite with many nicely restored buildings. You might wonder why you shouldn't just take your trailer right to Skagway. Well, it's a small town that you can easily see by walking around. Plus it's a cruise ship destination and you might be sharing the streets with several thousand tourists. Well worth visiting but not worth taking the trailer out there and staying.

Ron
Old 07-15-2023, 10:56 AM   #91

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alaska026.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	69408The White Pass- Yukon route - 2004 trip from Skagway.
Attached Thumbnails
Aka025.jpg  
Old 07-15-2023, 06:02 PM   #92
Site Team

Thought I'd share what I've been working on the best couple of days. This is the START of an itinerary. Some towns in Alaska. It doesn't include any tours. Tours and items of interest will be added later, right now I have them in a separate document. I've tried to include recommended paid campgrounds, cheaper campgrounds that I've found, free sites and military sites IF the public can stay there. Choices! The links are NOT active in this document. I'll do that later. But you can always copy 'n paste into a browser if you're on a computer.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AK-Itinerary_Vers-1.pdf (441.7 KB, 57 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 06:31 PM   #93

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
When I was a child the White Pass and Yukon had a large sign on their waterfront warehouse. It evoked visions of gold miners and the mysterious lands to the North.

Years later things came full circle when we visited Skagway as part of our Alaska trip.

As can be seen on my previously posted map it's possible to do Alaska in large loop circuits that don't involve doubling back on your route. There are two exceptions: Skagway and the Kenai Peninsula.

Two ways to see Skagway. Both don't involve taking the trailer to Skagway. Leave the trailer either in Carcross or Whitehorse and drive or take the historic train. If you drive you'll likely see the train huffing and puffing along.

Advantages of the car is that it's a lot more flexible but the lure of riding a historic train is strong.

Skagway is a historic townsite with many nicely restored buildings. You might wonder why you shouldn't just take your trailer right to Skagway. Well, it's a small town that you can easily see by walking around. Plus it's a cruise ship destination and you might be sharing the streets with several thousand tourists. Well worth visiting but not worth taking the trailer out there and staying.

Ron
Skagway can be a day trip without the trailer, but I found it worthwhile to camp there in a nice campground on the edge of town. Once the cruise ship dinner bell rings the crowds disappear and most places close up. But the sun is still up and the setting is beautiful. The main advantage of taking the trailer is catching the ferry across the bay to Haines. It gives another perspective on the landscape. And the road from Haines to the junction with the Alaska highway is a nice scenic drive.

So if someone wants to mix in a short ferry ride the Skagway to Haines leg is ideal. If you don’t do the ferry then I agree that it isn’t necessary to bring the trailer.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 06:34 PM   #94
Site Team

Here's the start of the tours and items of interest. Surely there's lots more! Those that have contemplated going to Alaska, what did you want to see and do? Please share!!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Tours-Etc-Vers-1.pdf (427.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 06:45 PM   #95
Site Team

Here's the start of the BC, Yukon campsites. Needs lots of work!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BC-YK-Itinerary_Vers-1.pdf (430.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 07-15-2023, 07:22 PM   #96

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Here's the start of the BC, Yukon campsites. Needs lots of work!
If some or all of the caravan are ok with boondocking, here’s a list of government campgrounds. The guide on the page is useful.

https://yukon.ca/en/outdoor-recreati...ecreation-site.

It would be harder to stay together since there are no reservations.
camp4528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2023, 07:26 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
If some or all of the caravan are ok with boondocking, here’s a list of government campgrounds. The guide on the page is useful.

https://yukon.ca/en/outdoor-recreati...ecreation-site.

It would be harder to stay together since there are no reservations.
Thanks for the link Steve I'm betting some will take advantage of free sites. Whether I do or not depends on what's around to view/see/do. I'm not interested in dropping my trailer and then leaving it. Sad as it is, I'd worry about it and anxiety doesn't make for a good trip. YMMV

On edit. I should have looked at the link before I posted. I see these are campgrounds! Not wide spots in the road.... whew.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:53 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viajante View Post
Skagway can be a day trip without the trailer, but I found it worthwhile to camp there in a nice campground on the edge of town. Once the cruise ship dinner bell rings the crowds disappear and most places close up. But the sun is still up and the setting is beautiful. The main advantage of taking the trailer is catching the ferry across the bay to Haines. It gives another perspective on the landscape. And the road from Haines to the junction with the Alaska highway is a nice scenic drive.

So if someone wants to mix in a short ferry ride the Skagway to Haines leg is ideal. If you don’t do the ferry then I agree that it isn’t necessary to bring the trailer.
Your're correct, Skagway and Haines, "so close and yet so far".

Your comment about the ferry does point out the need, very early on in planning, to look at the 3 route options and decide which 2 of the 3 you're going to do.

Catching the ferry from Skagway to Haines takes you off Route 1 (my numbering system) and off the route to Whitehorse, Daswon City and the Top of the World highway.

Routes 2 and 3 are a choice between catching the ferry from Haines down through all the places not accessible by road or the Stewart-Cassiar Hwy.

So the question folks planning this trip should be asking now is which routes are of most of interest to you. For us it was 1 and 3 with 2 done afterwards. But some folks may have already visited Juneau etc. on a cruise ship or don't like the expense of the ferry and will want to take Route 2 back.

Lot's of choices, none of them bad.

Ron
Old 07-17-2023, 09:07 AM   #99
Site Team

Just thought I'd pitch in a photo. This is a pic taken in the last two days of the Lupine on the Homer spit.
Attached Thumbnails
Lupine.jpg  
Old 07-19-2023, 07:10 AM   #100

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
I am definitely interested in doing this! I’m a single traveler, with dogs, and I’m not comfortable doing a trip this big alone. Please keep me in the loop! I’ll start investigating what I’d like to do and where I’d like to go so that I can contribute to the plans.
trackingtervs@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote