Baja 2019, maybe - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Baja 2019, maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Let's see now.... I am not planning to go to Mexico after Quartzsite but... if I was planning to go, I better have the following documents, etc., am I right?
  1. passports
  2. Mexican vehicle insurance we can buy at the border for $60
  3. Proof of ownership of the trailer (bill of sale).
  4. Proof of rabies vaccination, etc if we bring our dog.
  5. Bathing suits and a big inner tube. Electric assist bicycle with fat tires.
So it looks like at least 3 Escapes will be leaving Q'site and heading for Baja. That would be a welcome situation for Michele because she's sometimes a bit uncomfortable when we're by ourselves in isolated areas especially in the more Northern areas of Baja.

You notice the "maybe" in the title. The road situation is an ongoing issue. We just grit our teeth and do the the 20 unfinished miles of Mex 5 as part of the price for going that route. But having the newer sections of highway South of San Felipe washed out and damaged this Fall was a huge disappointment. So I monitor the comments daily and as long as no further damage happens then it'll be Mex. 5 for us. We don't like Mex. 1, going through Ensenada etc. and it also is subject to damage also. So it's a "maybe" until it's a "go".

Back to Myron's post.

Passports and photocopies, yes. We do that routinely for travel in any foreign country.

Mexican insurance for 60 bucks. I wish. It's required by law to have liability insurance and if you have an accident and no proof of insurance your day is going to get very bad in a hurry. There are many ways to buy Mexican insurance. Basically it all comes down to a couple of major underwriters but different agents offer different packages. We buy ours through Vagabundos and get the same coverage that we have at home.

Insurance can be bought by the day or longer term. By the day is much more expensive and if you're going to be there for over a couple of weeks it's not much more to get a 6 month policy. In our case, in BC, if we buy a months policy then our BC insurance company issues a refund for the month of insurance that we didn't use.

Definitely want to have your vehicle and trailer registration with you and photocopies are always good to have.

Definitely have your dog information and record of shots etc. We've never been asked to show any paperwork.

Electric assist bike with fat tires, well you need that for Q'site anyway.

The 60 buck reference might have been in relation to the FMM, a tourist visa. It's about 500 pesos, half of that. Lot's of hard core Baja folk say they never buy it. Your choice but our choice is to follow the laws of the country that we're in.

A previous poster mentioned an import permit. They referenced crossing at Nogales to mainland Mexico. We've never been asked to put up any kind of bond for the truck or trailer when crossing into Baja. Some of the rules for Baja are less restrictive than for mainland Mexico.

Just got off the phone talking to friends who are heading down next week. They've been going to Baja for over 25 years without incident. 3 years ago they decided to leave their trailer there in storage, covered, locked etc. for $500 a year. Saves dragging the trailer back and forth and allows them to use a smaller vehicle to travel there. Sort of makes me wish I had an old stickie and I'd do the same thing.

Torrential rain here today, wish I was in Baja already.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote