Baja Peninsula Trip - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 02:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Baja Peninsula Trip

This is a bit early planning for a winter season 2022-2023 trip but we were thinking this winter of attending the Quartzite rally and then maybe heading down the length of the Baja peninsula for a trip afterwards.

I know there are folks who you can hire and they basically set everything up and you simply book into it; comments? cost?

Also wondering if there's any more adventurous types who simply want to try and hit the road and do the trip as a caravan; seems to me that this method would afford more freedom on schedules and stops? Comments?

Thanks for the help.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 04:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Baja is called "Mexico Lite". You certainly don't need to be in a paid caravan but it's nice to have other folks that you know to travel with you for the first time.

We went alone our first time without any problems. First time down the coast on Mex, 1 and the second time down the formerly notorious unfinished Mex. 5, which is now a beautiful blacktop highway.

A good source of info is BajaNomad. Many of the active posters are longtime travellers to Baja or folks who own a place there. A huge warning though, it's a good example of why forums have rules. They don't enforce any and it's the wild west with many offensive comments.

The last time we came back from Baja there was this thing called Covid 19 being talked about. Little did we know that it would eliminate 2 years of going to Baja for us.

Our tentative plans are go to Q'site and then Baja. A couple of times we did have other Escape owners come to Baja also.

This is Coyote Beach, south of Mulege, our favorite spot.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
June 2020 Escape Calendar Photo Coyote Beach.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:53 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Thanks for that encouraging post, Ron, not to mention the great pic! We've been thinking about Baja, after having a small taste of Mexico in Puerto Penasco / Rocky Point. Neither of us can habla, though one of us can generally be understood.

Thanks, too, Marsman, for bringing up the topic. Hopefully there'll be a lot of interest.
Quien sabe, eh?

Jen and Jon in AZ
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:17 PM   #4

You sure are in a much better location for access to Baja than we are especially since Mex. 5 is so much better than it was before. We found it hard to imagine what certain spots looked like when it was a goat trail. We did some comparative photos.

While we've been hardcore travelers all our life and have seen the benefit of trying to utter a few words of the local language, we don't speak Spanish. However we do attempt to open a conversation with a few simple words as opposed to "Do you speak American". Gas stations, food stores, restaurants and camping places are a non-issue.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
02 - 2019 before_resize.jpg   02 - 2020after_resize.jpg   04 - 2020 after_resize.jpg   04 --2019 before_resize.jpg  
Old 07-11-2022, 06:30 AM   #5

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Interested? Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
This is a bit early planning for a winter season 2022-2023 trip but we were thinking this winter of attending the Quartzite rally and then maybe heading down the length of the Baja peninsula for a trip afterwards.

I know there are folks who you can hire and they basically set everything up and you simply book into it; comments? cost?

Also wondering if there's any more adventurous types who simply want to try and hit the road and do the trip as a caravan; seems to me that this method would afford more freedom on schedules and stops? Comments?

Thanks for the help.
Am definitely interested in this trip. Not sure that it will work for me in '23, but have been targeting a trip to Mexico for winter of '24. However, the chance to go with a group of Escape owners would tempt me to make it work for '23.

I'm also planning on attending Quartzite, so the timing on beginning the trip would be perfect.

marsman, About how long are you thinking of being in Baja?

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 07:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That is our 5.0TA in a couple of Ron's photos.

While it was great to have Ron and Michele help set us straight on a some details we needed to know heading in which really helped on not having to research as hard or worry at all about things, it would not be terribly tough to do it on your own. Nice to have some folks you know around a bit. We had my brother and wife with us the whole way, and another couple who did some stuff with us.

The folks who live there are very helpful and nice. There were a couple fishing villages we went into that had a lower level of English speaking residents but we never had any big issues. None of use really had any Spanish. Something not spoken much at all in Canada.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 09:07 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have been thinking of Baja and Quartzsite. Maybe as far south as LaVentana.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #8

That's our definition of the "end" of Baja. Once you get further south than that you get into the tourist spoiled Los Cabos situation. Not the sort of thing we want when we go to Baja.

Ron
Old 07-11-2022, 03:12 PM   #9
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
While we might be okay going solo, we are more interested in following along (tour, caravan, or loose caravan), especially someone who has been there before. Never been there and don't speak Spanish well and have no clue where to stop, what places are nice, and what places to avoid. Something I know very well for I95 on the east coast and I5 on the west coast, but not Baja.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 05:34 PM   #10

You probably would be OK solo but it is nicer for some aspects such as a group dinners and sharing experiences to have others around.

If you were heading down solo it's easy enough for others to give enough information to give you day by day information such as: first day drive to....., stay at ....., get gas at ..... .

But for first time through the border or a check point it's definitely nice to have someone who's done those routines before navigate the way.

After a few times you start learning the options as to where to stop etc.

It's all good.

Ron
Old 07-11-2022, 07:54 PM   #11

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Remember to get your Travel Visa (FMM) and Mexican insurance.
Old 07-11-2022, 10:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Remember to get your Travel Visa (FMM) and Mexican insurance.
The problem is that some folks read on some sites, "I've been going to Baja for....." and I never get one. Sort of confuses them if they really need to get one especially since folks at the border don't ask to see one.

Think being in a country illegally and having a traffic accident. Think Mexican jail.

Ron
Old 07-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The problem is that some folks read on some sites, "I've been going to Baja for....." and I never get one. Sort of confuses them if they really need to get one especially since folks at the border don't ask to see one.

Think being in a country illegally and having a traffic accident. Think Mexican jail.

Ron
Badges, we don’t need no stinkin badges…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 11:36 PM   #14

Ron,

Thx for the information. It sounds like once we're in Quartzite there might be a few interested parties. I'll make sure to re-initiate this thread closer to the end of the year and maybe some of us can make firmer plans.

Also, as Ron and others have eluded to, some may want to join the caravan earlier or later as they become accustomed to travelling in Mexico; flexibility is one of the reasons I thought it may be easier to go through an unplanned venue,

Cheers TTYL
Old 07-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #15

Sounds like a plan. Our plans for after Xmas aren't finalized and as they say, sometimes life gets in the way.

We'll see if there is going to be a Q'site gathering. If so, I'll do what I've done previously, give a talk about traveling to Baja and what's needed before you cross etc.

Ron
Old 07-19-2022, 09:29 PM   #16

That sounds great Ron, I'll bring the popcorn.
Old 07-20-2022, 06:00 AM   #17

Trailer: 2022 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
That sounds great Ron, I'll bring the popcorn.
Hi marsman,

About how long are you thinking of being in Mexico? A week or two? Three months? I know that you haven't made any definite plans yet, but having a rough timeframe would help me decide it I can consider joining your group. Thanks!

There are no solutions. There are only trade-offs.
- Thomas Sowell
Lorraine Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 10:34 AM   #18

Trailer: 2020 21NE
The last time I was on the new 5, it was only blacktop/concrete to Bahia de La Gonzaga. Have you taken the road past that which ultimately meets up with Hwy 1? I've taken that portion a few times- last time in 2017 and it trashed my boat trailer. If you don't have a trailer it's no problem (although we did see quite a few 18 wheelers on the road). The only issue is which way to go in places, but by the second time on the road we knew the route.
ghampshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 11:18 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Pittsburgh View Post
Hi marsman,

About how long are you thinking of being in Mexico? A week or two? Three months? I know that you haven't made any definite plans yet, but having a rough timeframe would help me decide it I can consider joining your group. Thanks!
Actually the most benefit of being new to Baja and going down with others is in the first few days of being there.

The anxiety level drops and most folks would be comfortable with making their way back North by themselves since they'll have already seen the places to stay in, eat and gas up etc.

So the trip can be open ended as to how long each person stays.

Ron
Old 07-20-2022, 11:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghampshi View Post
The last time I was on the new 5, it was only blacktop/concrete to Bahia de La Gonzaga. Have you taken the road past that which ultimately meets up with Hwy 1?
Yes, this is 2019, the last time we travelled the unfinished Mex. 5. Here we are at the stop sign at the intersection with Mex. 1. We were congratulating ourselves at having survived the unfinished rock field that was Mex. 5.

The next year we had a smile on our face the whole way. We couldn't believe that after years and years of microscopic progress they got their act together and finished the whole road right out to joining Mex. 1.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-02-2019 12-51-04 PM_0055_resize.jpg