Drive up to Chilliwack from Georgia? or get delivery? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Poll Results: Drive up or have delivery?
Drive 20 55.56%
Delivery 16 44.44%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-08-2020, 06:36 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Yeah, wouldn't hesitate to go get it. It will be once in a century experience.
I agree that the trip involved would be great, particularly if one has never travelled across North America and seen the changing landscapes which really cannot be experiences from 6 miles up if all previous travel has been by air. But given the potential of reduced places to stop and in-place restrictions resulting from the pandemic, to go or not to go, that is the question to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
With the starting point of Valdosta, as a previous post did, it would cost you $3,468 to drive out and back to Chilliwack. Add to that the cost of meals and lodging and it is easily over $4,000. Do not get fooled by your out of pocket costs, look at the real costs.
And not to be contrary or to be disrespectful of anyone’s opinion, but using this logic, I would have had my trailer delivered, stored it in my yard, and never have gotten any enjoyable or memorable use out of it. The real cost here is in personal time, fuel and lodging along the way. The trailer and tow vehicle are going to depreciate whether they are accumulating 10,000 miles or kilometers. Food expenses exist whether you eat at home or on the road. When I travel in the summer months, I set the house A/C thermostat to 86° F; it saves me a bundle on the electrical bill and I save on other home expenses also. IMO, when one decides they want to purchase an Escape or SOB, they accept the fact that there are costs involved. If one plays golf, there are greens fees. If one skis, there are lift ticket costs. And if one is into fishing, there are costs similar to the purchase and use of an RV. If we want a mid-day meal, we realize there are no such thing as a free lunch. Should we decide to have champaign and caviar for lunch, well, it’s going to cost more than a Big Mac. And memories produced doing the things you want to do are priceless.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:34 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Given the current situation it makes sense for delivery. Last year or perhaps next year, when and if things return to normalcy, then the trip is certainly enjoyable and eye opening. Same thing attending the Osoyoos Rally, beautiful country and seeing all the Escapes and forum members is memorable. So until there is a return to things as they were, with cg and rest areas reopening, delivery is the best option.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:47 AM   #23

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21/ 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7 4x4
Save your $, save your time & possibly save your life.
Have your trailer delivered to you. You only live once!
Olddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:49 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Thanks for these thoughts... still studying!

WOW! We are retired, but family wouldn't allow that many days! Good for you!
Again thanks for the responses...
Still thinking...
Keep on posting!
This may sound selfish, but I spent the first 50 years living for my family. The second 50 are mine!

Seriously, under the current conditions, I'd consider having a trailer delivered to avoid the uncertainties of camping conditions across the US & Canada, but if things calm down, it is a great excuse for a road trip.
Old 05-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Casita
Not an expert but another possible delivery option I came up with for getting a new Escape back to Virginia. I did not want to drive both ways but thought it would be great to mosey home with a new Escape. I got a quote of $1000 dollars to ship my truck to Seattle WA. One way flights to Seattle for both wife and I was $150 (unbelievable how low this is right now). Add one or two nights hotel and the total cost is around $1500 to get to either Sumas or Chilliwack. I don't count the expenses going home as it should be a fun vacation. Just my thoughts and it's only a rough estimate. If you really want to do it right forget the shipping of your TV and buy a new TV when you get to Seattle!
garrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:13 AM   #26

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The real cost here is in personal time, fuel and lodging along the way. The trailer and tow vehicle are going to depreciate whether they are accumulating 10,000 miles or kilometers. Food expenses exist whether you eat at home or on the road. When I travel in the summer months, I set the house A/C thermostat to 86° F; it saves me a bundle on the electrical bill and I save on other home expenses also. IMO, when one decides they want to purchase an Escape or SOB, they accept the fact that there are costs involved. If one plays golf, there are greens fees. If one skis, there are lift ticket costs. And if one is into fishing, there are costs similar to the purchase and use of an RV. If we want a mid-day meal, we realize there are no such thing as a free lunch. Should we decide to have champaign and caviar for lunch, well, it’s going to cost more than a Big Mac. And memories produced doing the things you want to do are priceless.
I agree Carl. Many years ago when Canada had a wonderful cross country train trip through the most scenic parts of the country - the train now follows the less scenic route, people would say how terribly expensive it was to have a berth or roomette on the rain and all the meals. I would point out that if you flew let's say from Toronto to Vancouver you'd be there in a few hours, then stay at a hotel and still eat meals and it would cost you just as much as enjoying the train.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:25 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrison View Post
Not an expert but another possible delivery option I came up with for getting a new Escape back to Virginia. I did not want to drive both ways but thought it would be great to mosey home with a new Escape. I got a quote of $1000 dollars to ship my truck to Seattle WA. One way flights to Seattle for both wife and I was $150 (unbelievable how low this is right now). Add one or two nights hotel and the total cost is around $1500 to get to either Sumas or Chilliwack. I don't count the expenses going home as it should be a fun vacation. Just my thoughts and it's only a rough estimate. If you really want to do it right forget the shipping of your TV and buy a new TV when you get to Seattle!

That brings up a good point .

If your in the market for a new TV I am sure you could Deal over internet . There some great deals now. I have a friend just bought a truck on line drove 3 hours to buffalo to pick it ,saved 12,000 off his best price before the pandemic . internet sales are way up. lots of people home with nothing to do. my last amazon order is expected to ship in 4 weeks used to be 2 days.

as far as camping i plan on boondocking my way back, just hope the blm land will be open. I have no problem social distancing . My pick up will not be to august so either things will be better or much worst .
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #28

Trailer: 17 ft casita sd
Delivery

I think if u are going to stay in motels and pay for gas better to have delivered. We r driving for ours now as I speak, but we r roughing it in our van. We brought our food and r stopping at rest areas and gas stations, pump only. It will still cost 400 in gas and we r driving 1750 miles.
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 06:02 PM   #29

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
This may sound silly, but in addition to what everyone else has already said, you may want to consider whether or not you really WANT to visit all of the places between your home and Chilliwack, because as it happened, I would have been happy to have been able to forego a good portion of my own trip.

When I left Houston, TX last October, I honestly didn't realize just how much I'd dread facing each new mountain range, as I developed a full-fledged fear of heights before I even managed to reach Colorado Springs. And by the time I returned to my daughter's home, I was thankful to finally be done with dry, barren landscapes others on this forum thoroughly enjoy. From now on, I plan to travel the lush, green hills (not mountains) and seascapes found in states east of the Mississippi, stopping often and long to enjoy everything to its fullest. (What I truly hate to have missed due to cold, rainy weather and wildfires is the extended time I'd hoped to spend in British Columbia, Oregon, Washington, and upper California. I ended up barreling through places I'd have thoroughly enjoyed in warmer weather and would have loved the week planed in Napa but for the wildfires.)

If you decide to take the trip yourself, I suggest that you plan carefully to maximize time spent in and around the places that are most likely to bring you joy - as soon as such planning becomes possible. Sad to say, COVID-19 makes such planning a bit iffy. It may be simpler and safer to take delivery and make short trips closer to home.

Best wishes!

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 04:06 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have to add my vote for delivery. At the very least, now it's home. Under the current conditions and constraints I think this is a no-brainer. The trip up and back would be so wonderful, and I've done it, but only if it is you making the choices along the way.

What is it now? 80K dead and counting. Who could have predicted that? Because of the current rush to open everything back up I also think that unless they discover a cure this summer by August there will be another explosion of cases, and it's back to square one.
Old 05-10-2020, 05:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I tend to agree Myron but I hope we are both very wrong with a second explosion
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Is this your first trailer, or are you longtime RV'ers? If you are new to RV'ing, unless the virus situation improves significantly by summer - and it could get worse instead - it could make traveling more stressful and less adventurous. That's a long way to be from home if things start to change and close down while you're out there. Another consideration is that there will no doubt be a huge pent up demand for camping this summer after months in quarantine, and both public and private campgrounds will likely be more crowded than normal.

If you have the time to take it slowly so it doesn't feel rushed, and already have some experience RV'ing and with big trips like this, then it could be a great adventure - each person will have to decide for themselves what the risk vs. reward is regarding the virus situation, and a month or two from now it will probably be more clear and make that decision easier. Of course, if you decided now to go with delivery, you could have your trailer very soon and then be in a position to camp closer to home this summer if conditions are amenable to that.

We drove from Texas to pick up ours last year and it was a very enjoyable and memorable trip....check out October in this year's Escape calendar We have a long-planned trip to Glacier NP in August, with hard to get reservations in a bunch of places, and will continue to see how things develop but with the way things are looking at this point are thinking we will likely postpone it until next year.
Old 05-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #33

Trailer: 17 ft casita sd
I have to agree here!!!
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:39 AM   #34

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Lots of really good thoughts here. Thank you!

Still weighing it out. Good news that we can hold off decision for a short while.

Love camping and feel RVing is a great way to "social distance"... so much better than motels and airplanes. We want to enjoy some beautiful views that we've had to fly to see in the past. And August is a perfect time to leave the south for the northwest! But only if 14 day quarantines are lifted and places to camp open.

I'm a little impatient... and ready to plan! Retirement is here!
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:58 AM   #35

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Is this your first trailer, or are you longtime RV'ers? If you are new to RV'ing, unless the virus situation improves significantly by summer - and it could get worse instead - it could make traveling more stressful and less adventurous.
David's mention of adventure brought to mind quotes by two well known adventurers who had contrasting views on the subject:

"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own, and no obstacle should be placed in their path; let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

"Adventure is just bad planning."
--Roald Amundsen--
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 11:08 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own, and no obstacle should be placed in their path; let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned, eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches - that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

--Roald Amundsen--

ha! I'll go the bad planning route rather than eaten by bears!

I guess bottom line for us, if we can't get some campsite reservations, then delivery it will be. I like adventure... but not on where I sleep!
Old 05-11-2020, 11:26 AM   #37

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Drive from central TN..

We are re-planning the trip to pick up the '21' next month. IF we can make some reservations in AirBNBs {we are local SuperHosts of AirBnB] for on the way out there, we will drive.
We can 'camp our way back'. Some stuff will be open, some not, esp in PRofCA I hear..so we will avoid CA and go back home thri NV and AZ..they are opening..and we plan to stop and visit relatives and friends in Scottsdale anyways.
Personally I wd not fly 'cooped up' in a in a comml plane (w shared ventilation) at this time ...for any reason. But that it just the doc in me leaking out.
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:26 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
We are re-planning the trip to pick up the '21' next month. IF we can make some reservations in AirBNBs {we are local SuperHosts of AirBnB] for on the way out there, we will drive.
We can 'camp our way back'. Some stuff will be open, some not, esp in PRofCA I hear..so we will avoid CA and go back home thri NV and AZ..they are opening..and we plan to stop and visit relatives and friends in Scottsdale anyways.
Personally I wd not fly 'cooped up' in a in a comml plane (w shared ventilation) at this time ...for any reason. But that it just the doc in me leaking out.
Great! You'll be going in June and hopefully can report back.

(Agree with you about flying.)
Old 05-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post

--Roald Amundsen--
I don't agree with guy. Planning is good but any enterprise of any consequence will always have the unexpected happen. It's what happens then that provides the adventure.

I always wonder about the folks that have every night of their trip planned if that's the way it worked out. For me that would be deadly boring but to each their own.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, I agree, that saying would say more if it had 4 more words and said " Adventure is how you deal with bad planning"