Glad I don't have one - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2022, 04:56 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
But Jim did you go looking for pricey gas in Osoyoos, that's where I paid 2.07? In fact it was at the Petrocan on the Monday after the rally.
Not sure how to answer, but the picture location said it was there and I normally do not shop for gas, If I need it, I stop and get it, regardless of price. I worry about payment when I get the credit card bill. Which btw was close to $800 which covers only about 50%. the rest will be here anyday.....
Old 06-29-2022, 05:33 PM   #22

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I heard an expert explain that using premium fuel in a vehicle that calls for regular is a waste of money, because the computerized fuel controls are set to optimize for regular.

There is always the placebo effect.
I do remember that being said.
But I will say the word -expert- sure has been watered down.

Anyone thinking they are doing better than those with the larger engines, I’m happy for them they are feeling that way. It seems more of a trade off to me, get what you want…

Wasn’t long ago I was paying $1.50, and less a gallon, at this point factoring gas mileage seems a waste of energy.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 07:25 AM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post
I have a feeling that there will be many big rigs for sale after this season of camping is over.
I haven't seen any figures but I think it would be a buyer's market for used RVs about now or later this year. One reason is the current price of gas. But another is that when the pandemic started a lot of people bought RVs for travel, thinking it would be a safe way to take a vacation. A good portion of those people have probably decided by now that the RV lifestyle isn't for them, and they want to get rid of their RVs.

This doesn't apply to Escapes, which appear to hold their resale value.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 09:40 AM   #24

Guess I'm wrong-- I just heard a news report that although Winnebago sales are down 15% this year from last year, they are still higher than pre-pandemic levels.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:03 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Not sure how to answer, but the picture location said it was there and I normally do not shop for gas, If I need it, I stop and get it, regardless of price. I worry about payment when I get the credit card bill. Which btw was close to $800 which covers only about 50%. the rest will be here anyday.....
858.323 gallons of gas for a total cost of $3,102.64 for my 9,832 2021-2022 winter trip. Average $ for gas was $3.64. Can't wait to see what it will be when heading to Arizona in October!
Old 06-30-2022, 03:18 PM   #26

I made a short five-week trip to the Midwest last summer. If I were to make the same trip now it would cost me $1,500 more for gas.
Old 07-15-2022, 12:52 PM   #27

Trailer: Reflection 303rls
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
I’m with you on the big rig thing!! Even though I’m burning diesel at nearly 6 bucks a gallon, I’m very happy with my combination and extremely comfortable in my 19. Getting 18.6 mpg on my trip so far. I can’t imagine what those big duallys hauling gigantic fifth wheels are getting, but it ain’t that!! Love my Escape.
That’s pretty impressive. With my F350 SRW towing a 32’ fifth wheel this summer I am averaging 11-12 mpg trip. Last year out west in mountain passes 10 but I don’t pay full retail at truck stops. The most I have paid to fuel since we left Florida has been $5 we have a TCS fuel card through FMCA.

Wondering what mpg towing an Escape with a full-size truck is. We are eventually going with either an a escape or casita in the future.
Beachcamper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Gasoline with 10% ethanol 87 octane is available in my home town of Cedar Rapids iowa at $4.05.9 as of 5 pm yesterday. I saw one convenience store in the neighbor hood where we used to have a Recreation Center at $3.99. I saw some places with no customers at $4.46.9.
The only straight unleaded regular that’s available is called “recreational gasoline” and it’s 91 octane. It’s around fifty cents a gallon more than the ethanol gas. “YMMV no reason to lie about it, good or bad”. That’s what my dad used to say.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Gasoline with 10% ethanol 87 octane is available in my home town of Cedar Rapids iowa at $4.05.9 as of 5 pm yesterday. I saw one convenience store in the neighbor hood where we used to have a Recreation Center at $3.99. I saw some places with no customers at $4.46.9.
The only straight unleaded regular that’s available is called “recreational gasoline” and it’s 91 octane. It’s around fifty cents a gallon more than the ethanol gas. “YMMV no reason to lie about it, good or bad”. That’s what my dad used to say.
Iowa Dave
They built several QT gas stations here recently Dave, in the Texas Hill Country. They sell ethanol free gas for about 60 cents more per gallon.

It's the only fuel I run in all my power equipment. No fuel stabilizer needed, and things start on the first pull, even after being stored for months without use. Until I went with the ethanol free for things like trimmers, chainsaws, pressure washers, etc, I was constantly dealing with starting problems and repairs.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My Chevy 2500 does enough better for mpg if ethanol free is 50 cents or less more it’s cheaper. Don’t know about the Ranger yet. The Corolla doesn’t care.
Old 07-15-2022, 06:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Driving

Engine performance, gas milage, variation in driving habits and road speed are all interesting to me but not an obsession. I’m thankful that economically I can travel when and where I want, like many we have numerous commitments and certain things we really like to do. Yesterday, we needed to make a Lahore trip to one of our kids home. That tired into a campground inspection at three parks that we have camped in several times. Occupancy varied from county park 25%, Corps of engineers about 50% and state park primitive area 10 %. Three out of state airstreams but no fiberglass to be seen. The “detours” didn’t add very much to our total milage and we did see some wildlife and wild flowers.
And so it goes.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
4071A2F6-7F6A-44F5-974F-249081836C49a.jpg  
Old 07-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #32

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our recent trip to the Osoyoos rally was an adventure in spending money. Our diesel jeep grand cherokee gets around 18 mpg, 16 with headwinds and towing up mountains. We like to drive less than 300 miles per day. We were spending $100 US per day filling up, so going to Osoyoos was $600 from central AZ. A neighbor, recently widowed, bought a small travel trailer last year. She is not traveling anywhere this year because fuel is $100/day. Personally, I think fuel costs are leading to more RVs for sale not just Escapes.
Old 07-16-2022, 03:18 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We had several $100+ fill ups on our recent trip to Chilliwack/Osoyoos, but the scenery and the rally and the new Escape makes it all worth it!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0288.jpg   IMG_0305.jpg   IMG_0275.jpg   IMG_0269.jpg  
Old 07-16-2022, 04:56 PM   #34

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our recent trip to the Osoyoos rally was an adventure in spending money. Our diesel jeep grand cherokee gets around 18 mpg, 16 with headwinds and towing up mountains. We like to drive less than 300 miles per day. We were spending $100 US per day filling up, so goimg to Osoyoos was $600 from central AZ. A neighbor, recently widowed, bought a small travel trailer last year. She is not traveling anywhere this year because fuel is $100/day. Personally, I think fuel costs are leading to more RVs for sale not just Escapes.
I agree... the preowned trailers available on the ETI site seems to be growing.. It certainly is not just an Escape scenario. Inflation, interest rates, stock market losses and general fear of the economy all add up to some people selling. Life changes
Old 07-16-2022, 05:28 PM   #35

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
Our recent trip to the Osoyoos rally was an adventure in spending money. Our diesel jeep grand cherokee gets around 18 mpg, 16 with headwinds and towing up mountains. We like to drive less than 300 miles per day. We were spending $100 US per day filling up, so goimg to Osoyoos was $600 from central AZ. A neighbor, recently widowed, bought a small travel trailer last year. She is not traveling anywhere this year because fuel is $100/day. Personally, I think fuel costs are leading to more RVs for sale not just Escapes.

I think you right . last time gas was this High (2008) most plants Elkhart shut down, some never reopened. It seems the local Rv lots are over flowing. Locally if they Dont sell the 2022 models by Aug they likely will not sell to spring. the good news if you only drive 1/2 distance in a day you spend 1/2 gas.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 05:32 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I think you right . last time gas was this High (2008) most plants Elkhart shut down, some never reopened. It seems the local Rv lots are over flowing. Locally if they Dont sell the 2022 models by Aug they likely will not sell to spring. the good news if you only drive 1/2 distance in a day you spend 1/2 gas.
What happened in 2008-2009 was far more than just high fuel prices though. Our entire economy tanked and thousands of people were losing their jobs every single day. I know I would have been better off throwing my money under the mattress rather than into a 401(k), but I had no choice.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2022, 06:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
What happened in 2008-2009 was far more than just high fuel prices though. Our entire economy tanked and thousands of people were losing their jobs every single day. I know I would have been better off throwing my money under the mattress rather than into a 401(k), but I had no choice.

That is certainly very possible in the near future . my 401k has lost 14% in the last 7 months.

interesting read on RV sale https://rvacrossamerica.net/rv-sales...ends-mid-2022/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:08 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
That is certainly very possible in the near future . my 401k has lost 14% in the last 7 months.
Everything I bought in 2009 is still way up.

I started investing in 1990. I've lived through a bunch of market crashes. All of them have turned out to be buying opportunities.

I think the inflation we are seeing right now is pretty straightforward. The 'echo boom' generation (Millenials) are in their peak earning years and in an absolutely smoking hot economy. So you have a lot of people with a lot of money to spend. Simple as that, plus a few other factors like global instability caused by Russian aggression.

Anyway......weird thing is how people talk like inflation, which is caused by a very hot economy, means we are about to have a recession which is the opposite of a hot economy. But anyway......maybe the Fed's higher rates will trigger a hard landing. Or maybe, as FDR said, the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Some prophecies can become self-fulfilling.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:22 AM   #39

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Everything I bought in 2009 is still way up.

I started investing in 1990. I've lived through a bunch of market crashes. All of them have turned out to be buying opportunities.

I think the inflation we are seeing right now is pretty straightforward. The 'echo boom' generation (Millenials) are in their peak earning years and in an absolutely smoking hot economy. So you have a lot of people with a lot of money to spend. Simple as that, plus a few other factors like global instability caused by Russian aggression.

Anyway......weird thing is how people talk like inflation, which is caused by a very hot economy, means we are about to have a recession which is the opposite of a hot economy. But anyway......maybe the Fed's higher rates will trigger a hard landing. Or maybe, as FDR said, the only thing we have to fear, is fear itself. Some prophecies can become self-fulfilling.
Let me help you on this one-you left out a few other media excuses, weather, covid, previous administration-and anything else they need to come up with…
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 10:40 AM   #40

Trailer: 2022 21NE
let's see: if we needlessly print off 80% of all USD ever minted in the span of a few years and hand most of that to megacorps to buy and hold as many of the remaining assets as possible with the intent to perpetually rent it to you, does that:

increase, or decrease the value of the other 20% of currency in the pool?
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote