No License Required to Fish in State Park? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2023, 09:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
No License Required to Fish in State Park?

In Texas if you have paid to enter a state park, either day use or overnight, you do not have to get a fishing license, whether a resident or non-resident. You only must be standing on dry state park land (or fishing pier). Many parks even have 'loaner gear'.

Are there any other states that have a similar policy? Planning a trip to Colorado and New Mexico. it would sure be nice not to have to purchase a non-resident license just to fish a few times.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:31 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Not to my knowledge
As a nonresident I have purchased licenses in Colorado, Missouri, Montana, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, South Dakota, Minnesota, Illinois, and Arkansas, and Oregon. I’ve not fished in other states.

Here in Iowa where live, I have lifetime fishing, lifetime hunting, lifetime trout, and lifetime fur harvester.

The predominant governmental hierarchy is every department other than the DNR ahead and the DNR last. So to survive DNR’s often live on the infusion of license revenue whether it’s resident or not resident.
I paid like $21 for a three day Illinois license one year. Didn’t hardly use it. My next plan is a $21 expenditure at a fish market along the river. It’s a sure thing.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-14-2023, 01:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I paid like $21 for a three day Illinois license one year. Didn’t hardly use it. My next plan is a $21 expenditure at a fish market along the river. It’s a sure thing.
Iowa Dave
Sounds like a plan! But take your fishing gear along anyway. Put a sinker on the end of the line, a bobber farther up, and cast it out there like usual. Now relax in the chair with a beer and watch the waves lap against the shore. Aaahhhhhh. If the conservation officer comes along, you can have some fun with him when you reveal the unbaited line.
Old 05-14-2023, 02:19 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve had my share of experiences with conservation officers. Some do not have a sense of humor at all others are pretty good. We worked with them frequently in the parks where we would get illegal hunting at times. Our county had two pretty good guys but a couple counties south of us, not so good. I also have a third line license so I fish three poles when I’m sleeping/ catfishing during the day. I’ve been buying licenses for over 60 years.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-14-2023, 02:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
As a registered boat inspector in Colorado - I can verify you must have a license to fish all waters in the state, including National Parks. There is one "free fishing" day in the spring (don't recall exactly). Children under 16 do not need a license if with an adult with a license.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote