Osoyoos in 2021..... - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 12:59 PM   #81

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If we are going to malign or ridicule or chastise ,certain geographic regions / states of the US as a mental exercise , we should at least avoid the easy targets / low hanging fruit .
We have visited 34 of the 50 states and 5 of the Canadian Provinces , Many were memorable and we hope someday to return , many we will never visit again, by choice

No matter where you go somebody call’s it home.
Precisely, although I’m not sure what is implied by “easy targets or low hanging fruit.”
I have visited all of the lower 48 states and spent at least a week in each. I have visited 7 Canadian provinces and also spent at least a week in each. Each stop been worthwhile but in some cases “once is enough” applies. When I first relocated to Florida, many people told me that “I had to go to the Florida Keys.” So I went, but to me, the Keys were nothing special and I have no desire to rush back.

The point I would make is that when anyone states a preference for one region over another or one state over another (as a destination), it does not constitute maligning or ridicule of the region or state less preferred by that individual. If someone posts a personal dislike of calimari, pickled beets, or poutine that does not necessarily mean they are disparagIng those foods. I do, however, recall some posts on this forum that truly maligned certain states or regions.
Old 06-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #82

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Interesting thread.

Because we've traveled the world extensively we're often asked, "what's your favorite place?" Some folks seem puzzled that we don't have one. But so many places have so much to offer and they're all different in their own way. I don't know the answer. Maybe feeling like I'm glad to get home and love the greenery etc. is sending me an answer that I'm ignoring.

As for my least favorite places, don't get me started.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #83

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I was born , grew up and spent the first 68 years of my life living in Minnesota
Minnesota is cold in the winter , hot & humid in the summer , the roads are full of potholes , we drive like idiots , the taxes are high , the bugs are terrible, half the state is flat as a pancake , half the state is underwater, we eat strange foods like lutefisk , summer only lasts one day , all the men are ugly and have scraggly beards , and the only good thing is the beautiful view we have looking south at Iowa

Feel free to pile on , I’m not that sensitive!!
We never have spent much time in MN, and may not now. Sounds very unappealing.

Just kidding, but fun to pile on. Right now if you come to AZ, you’ll have a very good chance to get sick 😷
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:18 PM   #84

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Precisely, although I’m not sure what is implied by “easy targets or low hanging fruit.”
I have visited all of the lower 48 states and spent at least a week in each. I have visited 7 Canadian provinces and also spent at least a week in each. Each stop been worthwhile but in some cases “once is enough” applies. When I first relocated to Florida, many people told me that “I had to go to the Florida Keys.” So I went, but to me, the Keys were nothing special and I have no desire to rush back.

The point I would make is that when anyone states a preference for one region over another or one state over another (as a destination), it does not constitute maligning or ridicule of the region or state less preferred by that individual. If someone posts a personal dislike of calimari, pickled beets, or poutine that does not necessarily mean they are disparagIng those foods. I do, however, recall some posts on this forum that truly maligned certain states or regions.
My wife and I like Michigan . We really enjoy the UP and Western Michigan especially along the shores of Lake Michigan
We also enjoy and have spent many enjoyable days camping in Illinois
That being said we have no pressing desire to revisit Detroit or Chicago , which lately seem to be an easy target for the press and politicians with an agenda ( Low hanging fruit)
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #85

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Despite what Steve has to say about MN, it's really not all that bad once you get away from the twin cities. We see a "flat" part of the state every time we go across town since the road parallels the border. I'm surprised that Ronn has not chimed in here as yet. Funny how this thread started out as a question about attending the Escape rally and has turned into a discussion of the merits of various US states. Not surprising though we like to go off topic a lot. Poutine anyone, or maybe Spam.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:18 PM   #86

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I’m from New Jersey, the gas station state. We all know about people there.
Myron you mean the Jersey boys like me that froze and shipped you a 3# pork roll across the country or Jake who drove one across the country and gave it to you at Quartzsite?

NJ is certainly the butt of a few jokes but it has some high points. On Thursday I took the family through the largely undeveloped Pine Barrens National Reserve which covers 1.1 million acres (22% of the state) of which 570,000 acres are protected. This is the largest undeveloped area on the mid-Atlantic seaboard between Richmond and Boston. Underlying much of the Pinelands is the Cohansey Aquifer. This formation of unconsolidated sand and gravel functions as a vast reservoir estimated to contain over 17 trillion gallons of some of the purest water in the country. Our destination: Island Beach State Park which is one of the last remaining undeveloped barrier beaches on the north-Atlantic coast. It is a 10 mile stretch of beauty sandwiched between the Atlantic Ocean and Barnegat Bay.
Attached Thumbnails
00597A76-2E82-4A7E-8CE2-9EDFD5E820D0.jpeg  
Old 06-27-2020, 10:08 PM   #87

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Sunset

I’ve camped in a lot of the lower 48 at one time or another. Often after a
Long day on the road when the wind goes down and it starts to cool off I take in the landscape, the night sounds and the smell. And I often say to Rita, “I can see why people say this is a beautiful state.” Sometimes I don’t care for the roads, the camping rates or the weather of the day but as a late afternoon and evening respite and an upcoming night of comfortable sleep in the Escape all is right at the minute and I’m making a good memory.
Like all the young ladies in my eight grade English class, there’s beauty in everywhere you go if you look closely. I wrote that in an essay once, got me a lot of dances.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-27-2020, 10:22 PM   #88

Trailer: NA
I nod in agreement with pretty much all that's been said on location, location, location. Even C&G in FL. I traveled extensively for over 20 years as a consultant. I flew to a new place every week and must say I enjoyed every 'location' that I spent a few days at. Now, when it comes to staying for a long time, er, more than a week or two I'm ok with anyplace that is mid-west to most places west. New England and the eastern seaboard is too crowded for me but the food can be real good. My dream plan is to winter in Arizona and summer at any cooler higher elevation.
TX_Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:17 AM   #89

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I agree! You find what you want and make of an experience what you will. The Pine Barrens are a special place. For sure. I love Long Beach Island and Surf City! Minnesota made me fall in love with it when I caught my first northern pike in a small row boat. The entire Great lakes region is special. Really one of a kind. Everyone is so friendly.

In the Winter, Florida is my first thought for getting away. I took the families to the Florida Keys this Christmas and now they are asking if we can go back. Hell yes we can go back.

It's all good. Even Poutine and grits which I like to tease about, because they are so foreign to me. Each one is a chance to learn about people and the food they eat. Which I love.

I don't come here because we have the same trailers, I come here because of the common thoughts we share. The same love of life. This is a great place to learn about new people. I'm glad I'm here!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:52 AM   #90

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I don't come here because we have the same trailers, I come here because of the common thoughts we share. The same love of life. This is a great place to learn about new people. I'm glad I'm here!

Well said Tim, and perhaps we need to change Iowa Dave nick name to "that silvery tongue ladies man devil" or TSTLMD........
Old 06-28-2020, 09:47 AM   #91

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We received another camping cancellation E-Mail yesterday , I believe that makes #6
Last night my wife and I were discussing making a short instate camping trip , possibly to visit my sister . After spending several hours yesterday evening trying to find a campgrounds that has sites available and have facilities that are open ( Bathrooms / showers , dump station , potable water , dog areas etc I got disillusioned . It appears reality has returned and we are back on the path to closing things up !

Reading the optimism on this thread and people’s ability to look to the future has been a great help.and very uplifting .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:53 AM   #92

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Dave, you wily guy! What a great technique (8th grade) .
Old 06-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #93

Timeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Dave, you wily guy! What a great technique (8th grade) .
Compliments are always nice. It would probably still work but my wife of 50 years wouldn’t much appreciate my roving eyes. She grew up two blocks from me. She still remembers stopping by the house on Halloween and when I opened the door I gave her a compliment and two, not one but two, pieces of candy. However, that was a rare time that I saw her because her mom told her not to go up 9th street where the Smith boys lived. Some days I’m sure she wishes she would have taken that advice.
I better get outside, she’s been weeding the garden for an hour now.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-28-2020, 12:12 PM   #94

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Clint View Post
My dream plan is to winter in Arizona and summer at any cooler higher elevation.
Clint, we really do agree, although I will not narrow it down to Arizona. I will say a place with a moderate Winter climate, no snow, and low temperatures preferably 50° or higher. That could include almost any State along the southern US, but family obligations keeps me in Florida. But come summer, I want to get as far away and and as cool as possible.
Old 06-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #95

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I’ve camped in a lot of the lower 48 at one time or another. Often after a
Long day on the road when the wind goes down and it starts to cool off I take in the landscape, the night sounds and the smell. And I often say to Rita, “I can see why people say this is a beautiful state.” Sometimes I don’t care for the roads, the camping rates or the weather of the day but as a late afternoon and evening respite and an upcoming night of comfortable sleep in the Escape all is right at the minute and I’m making a good memory.
Like all the young ladies in my eight grade English class, there’s beauty in everywhere you go if you look closely. I wrote that in an essay once, got me a lot of dances.
Iowa Dave
Dave, Well we love NE Ohio even if we live 30 minutes south of what use to be known back in the day as the "Mistake on the Lake ." Yes the river did catch fire way back when but things are pretty darn close to perfect now. We do need to get out camping to alleviate the cabin fever. We have a short local trip planned for mid July. Yahoo.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:11 PM   #96

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Dave, Well we love NE Ohio even if we live 30 minutes south of what use to be known back in the day as the "Mistake on the Lake ." Yes the river did catch fire way back when but things are pretty darn close to perfect now.

And for those of us that may not be aware, there is a national park nestled in there. Cuyahoga Valley National Park is a little jewel on the very same river, the Cuyahoga river, that burned just so Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders could write a song about it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
And for those of us that may not be aware, there is a national park nestled in there. Cuyahoga Valley National Park is a little jewel on the very same river, the Cuyahoga river, that burned just so Chrissie Hynde and the Pretenders could write a song about it.
Yep, and they have a scenic train that runs through the park. I volunteer on the train as a trainman answering questions, punching tickets etc. Unfortunately the train is currently not running due to Covid-19.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:39 PM   #98

NE Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Dave, Well we love NE Ohio even if we live 30 minutes south of what use to be known back in the day as the "Mistake on the Lake ." Yes the river did catch fire way back when but things are pretty darn close to perfect now. We do need to get out camping to alleviate the cabin fever. We have a short local trip planned for mid July. Yahoo.
Hi Ralph
Did I ever tell you I lived in Painesville at one time? I worked in Mentor. Didn’t stay long, bur the country over around Conneaut and south where they do the maple syruping is nice. Lots of snow. When we come back from Niagara we usually go through Cleveland. It’s a lot different than it was 40 years ago. I worked with a fellow in Idaho who went to Kent State and had been presentat the protest shootings the month before I met him. He was having a hard time that summer. But a real nice guy. I bought Street trees for my municipal nursery from Ed Scanlon in North Olmstead in the early 70’s. He was a giant in the field of Municipal Arboriculture.
Hope you get good weather when you finally get out.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-29-2020, 12:53 AM   #99

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
If this is wishful thinking, then count us in. We will even volunteer to host the swap meet once again!!!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:27 AM   #100

Trailer: Getting a 21NE early next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Frank, I would strongly recommend a tow vehicle for your new trailer, then you are capable of travelling all of North America. In time, we certainly will be. This being young with lots happening in life needs to stop!
Jim, I have a tow vehicle now, a 2013 F150 with the big six and twin turbos. Can tow like 9500#s. Just need to finish my hot rod and sell it. Then we'll have cash for the 21NE we want.

Enjoy your day.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote