Tornado Sheltering While on the Road - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #1

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Tornado Sheltering While on the Road

Ironically I decided to take a somewhat central west-east route across the US late this month, to avoid midwestern spring snow storms, of which I've had my fill. Until recently I hadn't thought about my deciding to go through northern Oklahoma, into Arkansas, and up though Kentucky (to include the only lower-48 states I haven't been in,) as leading me right through the heart of "Tornado Alley".

I realize the odds are in my favor, that my dog and I will be fine...and I have a NOAH alerts radio...and have read re heading perpendicular to the projected path, people finding best shelter in their homes, that vehicles are the worst place to think of as shelter, and if no shelter building readily available lay in as low a place as possible, as far from your vehicle as possible..... But I'm wondering: There are long stretches in some areas where you are on the only long distance road for miles and miles, my home will be my trailer and car (unsafe as a shelter), public tornado shelters don't seem to be a thing (per poking around on the internet)....and how effective IS laying low?

On the only road....turning around may be best option, but sometimes there is not a lot of warning to get far enough away.

Have any of you experience with being in the middle of beautiful wide open spaces, and seeking tornado shelter? ..or traveling through towns, when a tornado warning had you on due alert? How would you shelter, if you cannot remove yourself from the projected path in a timely manner?

I'm kind of a worst-case scenario person - I don't worry, but like to consider potential sensible options re dealing with such scenarios, ahead of time.

Thank you for your input!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 09:19 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I always thought highway underpass locations could provide some shelter, depending on storm heading....but having a NOAA weather radio is smart to stay informed.
Old 03-07-2022, 09:54 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
In open road situations it is my understanding that under highway overpasses are not a good place to be. The “neck down” nature of the opening creates even greater wind velocities. And a debris funnel.

In cities there are reference-able lists of tornado shelter locations. For example, in the town of Marion, Iowa they needed a new park maintenance building. They used some local option tax funds to build a new combination shelter and maintenance shop building in one of their major parks. It is well “advertised” with signage in the park.
When I am in parks out in the country I look for signage with tornado information on it. , I look for very low concrete box culverts under roads, railroad tracks, or with low flow creeks running through them. I catalog these in my head.

In iowa a few years ago some Boy Scouts were killed by a tornado that went through a scout camp. This pointed up a major deficiency in summer camps. So in Eastern Iowa at the camp where our troop stayed several times a year a push for a shelter occurred. Several sections of large concrete storm sewer pipe were procured. They were buried in a trench, butted up together, end to end. Secured by a double door setup and well ventilated , this solution was widely praised and copied.

It pays to keep an eye on the weather well before problems develop. At the very least, a weather radio is a must. The one I carry camping uses rechargeable AA batteries and is also equipped with a dyno crank so the tiny rechargeable battery inside can be boosted with the crank and the NOAA station can be heard for a few minutes before it needs to be cranked again. The three main things I don’t plan on doing in a tornado are staying in my car, my camper or parking in a forest. I can slither into a pretty tight culvert under the road if I’m scared enough. I’ll share with a skunk if I have to.

I’ve seen tornadoes, worked tornado cleanups with a bucket truck, and taken numerous severe weather training classes over the years, even had the spotter training, tornadoes are to be respected. As I look at an oncoming storm and study the lowering clouds I’m always reminded of the admonition “If it don’t spin, don’t turn it it.” Watch for rotation.
Here’s a copy of the campground map for FWKent park where we have often camped. Note the severe weather logo near one of the restrooms. It’s a very sturdy building.

https://www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov/si...campground.pdf

Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Limited options

Realistically, you have few options other than finding a culvert to cower in or getting to a town with a shelter. Certainly, listening to multiple sources of information can be helpful.

Also, realistically, tornadoes are relatively small area events, unlike a hurricane, and your chances of crossing paths with one are slight, but possible. They are creepy with the randomness of their damage. One house gone, only the foundation left and next door, 30 feet away, the house untouched.

Tornado Alley is suspected to be moving further East, possibly due to climate change.

Woke up to 4"-5" of snow here today where I'm at; Saturday night we had a tornado about 25 miles South of here. Little damage from that one.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #5

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Thank you for the thoughts/recommendations!

I remember the eerie feel to the air and tint to the cloud cover when tornados were near, from the years I lived in Iowa. Luckily the tornados were more miss than hit, though always worthy of deep respect.
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 02:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Green Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumac.rhus View Post
Thank you for the thoughts/recommendations!

I remember the eerie feel to the air and tint to the cloud cover when tornados were near, from the years I lived in Iowa. Luckily the tornados were more miss than hit, though always worthy of deep respect.
After a lot of years in the upper Midwest, Mostly Iowa I forgot to mention what I guess is second nature to us. The rapidly lowering air pressure will make the bugs in the sky come down much lower and the feeding birds, especially swallows will come down with them. The sky turns an uneasy green. Then it’s time to get out of the lawn chair and put things away and head for the basement.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-07-2022, 05:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
An alternative

It's one thing to keep an eye on the bug & birds flight level, but I'd rather keep an eye on the Doppler radar for the weather.....either by a cell phone app, tablet or NOAA/commercial radio station. Being stationary, observation can be helpful. If you're driving down the lonesome highway, better get your info as best you can.

I've only seen the "green storm sky" once, as a kid. No tornado, but it was memorable.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 07:47 PM   #8

Trailer: 21
I’ve had the misfortune to be in 2 tornadoes. Both times I was outside 1st when I was 5 n was down at the fishing pond on the farm ran into a gulley n cried my tail off till our dog n my mom found me n second her where I live now just made it to the storm shelter before it went over hardly any damage but never care to be around one again makes me heart race thinking about it
Old 03-08-2022, 03:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 19’ Still Long Gone
Tornados are indeed scary. I grew up in Lubbock, TX in tornado alley. In ‘70 one came through, 26 deaths, huge destruction. My sister was at a movie theater seeing 2001: a Space Odyssey and the lights and projector went out. About 30 seconds later a voice said “Hal, turn on the lights.”

The local parks department got extra money that year so I got to work as a park counselor. One of the parks ended up partly in a cemetery and used Buddy Hollys grave for 3rd base. Or so the story goes.
Not a fan of tornados but sure do appreciate basements.
outwiththedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 05:35 PM   #10

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
After a close one while in Waukee Iowa we now KNOW what county we are always in….alerts are fast and usually by county! NOAA you need to know what channel and your emergency alert tab “on” your phone. Knowing where the closest shelter is..isn’t bad either. We’re good with earthquakes..but tornadoes and hurricanes no thanks! We will drive hundreds of miles out of our way to avoid “tornado alley”.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 06:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I grew up in Nebraska, and as a kid went through several close calls with tornados.

When camping now, I have depended on the Midland ER 310. It sounds similar to what Dave has.

It gives the NOAA weather and alerts.
It has am/fm radio.
It has a headphone jack.
It can be powered by its own tiny solar panel, or
a hand crank, or
an onboard rechargeable battery, or
6 aa batteries.
It has a usb port so it can charge other things.
It has two levels of flashlight brightness,
an SOS strobe beacon, AND
in case Dorothy drops a house on you, it has an ultrasonic "dog whistle".

I consider it pretty inexpensive insurance.