Where to go in late March or early April? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Camping | Places, Gear and Planning > Trips and Travel Planning
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2020, 11:27 AM   #1

Trailer: A lovely 2017 Escape 21C
Where to go in late March or early April?

We normally do a cruise in January to settle our itch to be somewhere else in winter and we cancelled it this year due to the Coronavirus. Instead we got to talking and the light bulb went off, we have the trailer. We aren't interested in pulling the trailer in bad weather ans so are looking to do something in late March or early April after Easter.

That was a long way to go for a simple question. where would you go to get warmer and see some sights? Any ideas are appreciated.
Old 10-03-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm usually curising across Arizona, Texas & the south at that time on my way back to NY from wintering at Quartzsite. You can check the time periods using the indexes to the recent trips for some suggestions. Trips.
Old 10-03-2020, 01:49 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Anywhere below the 35th parallel north. Memphis was fun, you could start there and then head to the Gulf Coast. Some great beaches along the FL panhandle, if you can get reservations and they haven't gotten washed away. NO is fun to see if you haven't.
Old 10-03-2020, 04:29 PM   #4

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We love Mexico. San Carlos, Sonora is beautiful, on the ocean, and a 6 hour drive from Nogales, AZ. It is part of the "free" zone where all you need is the FMM (tourist visa) about $37 and Mexican Insurance. March and April are really lovely in Sonora, winters are cool at 50°F, but that late in the spring things will be in the 70-80 range. Still not hot yet. Totonaka is an RV park in San Carlos, full hookups and across the street from the beach. We last paid $25/night 6 months ago, for a 2 night stay, cheaper by the week or month.It is a tourist town and english is widely spoken. Since it is 6 hours from the US border it is NOT a border town. We kept a sailboat there, used to take our work life vacations there, etc. Now that we are retired we head deeper into Mexico.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #5

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven M View Post
We normally do a cruise in January to settle our itch to be somewhere else in winter and we cancelled it this year due to the Coronavirus. Instead we got to talking and the light bulb went off, we have the trailer. We aren't interested in pulling the trailer in bad weather ans so are looking to do something in late March or early April after Easter.

That was a long way to go for a simple question. where would you go to get warmer and see some sights? Any ideas are appreciated.
Florida is really nice in late March and early April.

Here is some videos I watched on budget camping in Florida. His videos are also what got me looking into molded fiberglass trailers.

RV Travel: Wintering in Florida Pt 1 Osceola National Forest

RV Travel: Wintering in Florida Pt 2 Apalachicola National Forest/Panhandle

RV Travel: Wintering in Florida Pt 3 Ocala National Forest & Surrounding Area

RV Travel: Wintering in Florida Pt 4 The NW Peninsula and Central Florida

RV Travel: Wintering in Florida Pt 5 South Florida & Everglades NP
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:30 PM   #6

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Why not stay in your home state of Illinois ?
We’ve camped at Dixon Springs SP , Wayne Fitzgerrell SP and Rend Lake SP in the Spring .
The parks weren’t crowded and the weather was great
We have gone South in April but the weather was just too hot for our liking
Our second choice would be Southern Iowa
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:55 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Steven
Like Steve we’ve camped in Southern Illinois but not quite that early. I would not be afraid to go south of Carbondale on down towards Cape Giradeau. The first couple weeks in April. High water on area rivers can be a problem and I’d pay attention to campground locations. Arkansas has some nice parks too. The Shawnee National Forest has some nice areas.
There a state park south of Carbondale about 15 miles that’s real nice. Then you can run up into Carbondale and go to Buffalo Wild Wings and pretend you’re back in college.

If you go through Pana, Illinois you can stop at the Catfish Connection Sports store and buy anything you want for catfishing.

The World Shooting and Recreation Complex near Sparta is quite a specialized shooting facility. It’s near Sparta Illinois.

I’ve thought about going down there myself that time of year. I’d like to see the snake migration one time. http://eastonswildlife.com/southern-...ake-migration/ Also if you’re a bird watcher you could intercept the warblers coming north. I always figured the arrival of spring moves north approximately 28 miles per day.

I’ve camped southern Iowa ( Lacey Keosauqua) in late April. It can be shirtsleeve or light parka, it’s a crapshoot.

There’s a lot going on out there, you might want to check the average frost free date with regard to opening dates and plans to de-winterize.

When done down in Illinois, wobble north and end up at Piles Peak State Park in Northeast Iowa for the Rally the first weekend in May and don’t miss the Potosi Brewery in Potosi Wisconsin.

Iowa Dave
Old 10-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I would look at Kentucky and Tennessee, specifically the Land Between the Lakes. Natchez Trace is a nice drive but not particularly camp site friendly. Steve, you know all about COE campgrounds, look specifically for those as you wander south.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #9

Campgrounds in the southern states start filling up with reservations on weekends March and April.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:52 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
We liked Big Bend Natl Park in late march. Lots of wildflowers.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:47 PM   #11

All depends on how far south you want to go I guess. And what temps you’re comfortable. 45F no wind and full sun is pretty comfortable to me. But 38F, spitting rain and a 15 mph wind out of the NW, not so good.
However, laying on the bed in the Escape, preparing to take a nap with my fleece blanket, the furnace keeping the chill off and raindrops that sound like ping pong balls on the roof of the Escape are pretty good days too.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-03-2020, 08:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Hit the Natchez Trace

At your desired bug-out time, the flora will be in bloom along the Trace. 444 miles of driving through a park like setting. It's got my vote. And then on, head to Apalachicola, FL and environs. State Forest campgrounds nearby, maybe some hurricane damage about, but an "old Florida" experience awaits.

GO SOUTH, young man.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:05 PM   #13

Pensacola

If you go to Pensacola I think it’s well worth visiting the Naval Air Museum . If in Mobile Alabama, the Battleship Alabama is a fascinating exhibit. Lots of good food across the south.
Iowa Dave
Old 10-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
I concur

Both of Iowa Dave's suggestions are "spot on". The Naval Aviation museum is vast and stupendous, and FREE!. At least it was last time i was there. With Covid, it may be closed. I dunno.

Work and research your issue.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 05:42 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
At your desired bug-out time, the flora will be in bloom along the Trace. 444 miles of driving through a park like setting. It's got my vote. And then on, head to Apalachicola, FL and environs. State Forest campgrounds nearby, maybe some hurricane damage about, but an "old Florida" experience awaits.

GO SOUTH, young man.
There are a few free campgrounds along the Trace if you're into it.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If you go to Pensacola I think it’s well worth visiting the Naval Air Museum . If in Mobile Alabama, the Battleship Alabama is a fascinating exhibit. Lots of good food across the south.
Iowa Dave
Did you also tour the WW II submarine that was part of the exhibit? After seeing the spacious rooms on the battleship, it was a shock to see the tiny quarters in the sub.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post

GO SOUTH, young man.
These suggestions all sound great to a complete newbie.

However, I wanted to confirm what you meant by "the Trace". Is it this? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vincennes_Trace

Thanks!!
Old 10-04-2020, 08:04 AM   #18

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This was the only "Trace" I was aware of......https://www.nps.gov/natr/index.htm
Old 10-04-2020, 10:22 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Camping along the Natchez Trace.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 11:18 AM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm getting envious, and a bit sad, reading this thread. We've had a great summer exploring BC. But there's not a lot we want to do in the colder months which is why we normally head South towards the end of Jan.

It's not looking likely that's going to happen any time soon. I'm a frequent border crosser so it's been really strange not to be able to cross for so long now and it looks like well into the future.

So all you South of the 49th, enjoy.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote