Cascade highway in mid October? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Cascade highway in mid October?

Still debating if we are going to pick up our Escape 19 in mid-October, or have it delivered somewhere between Sumas and GA.

We are thinking that if we pick it up in Sumas, we would like to start home via WA-20 "Cascades highway", since we have never been in that part of WA.
Does anyone have experience with road conditions on that route in late October? Any recommendations for campgrounds along that route?
Old 07-30-2020, 02:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
WA 20 closes across the Cascades almost every year because of the amount of snow it receives. The median closure date is November 26. It very rarely closes in October, but there is a reasonable chance that you will get snow. I have gotten snowed on in September. If Hwy 20 conditions are unsatisfactory, US 2 and I-90 are viable alternatives. US 2 is not too far behind WA 20 in scenic value.

I have camped at Rasar State Park, on the western side of the pass, and it is very nice. It is open all year. I have also been to Pearrygin Lake State Park, on the eastern side of the pass. It is also pretty nice, but it closes October 25th. There are several campgrounds in North Cascades National Park - all on the western side - that are open year around, or as long as the road to them is open. The last time I camped in any of them was over 40 years ago, so I won't claim to know about them.

As you go further east, you get into mostly Forest Service campgrounds, which often close after Labor Day. I have not camped in any private campgrounds in that area.

Be aware that October 31 is the beginning of elk hunting season in Eastern Washington, and so there will be competition for camp sites from hundreds of elk hunters starting a few days before.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
WA 20 closes across the Cascades almost every year because of the amount of snow it receives. The median closure date is November 26. It very rarely closes in October, but there is a reasonable chance that you will get snow. I have gotten snowed on in September. If Hwy 20 conditions are unsatisfactory, US 2 and I-90 are viable alternatives. US 2 is not too far behind WA 20 in scenic value.

I have camped at Rasar State Park, on the western side of the pass, and it is very nice. It is open all year. I have also been to Pearrygin Lake State Park, on the eastern side of the pass. It is also pretty nice, but it closes October 25th. There are several campgrounds in North Cascades National Park - all on the western side - that are open year around, or as long as the road to them is open. The last time I camped in any of them was over 40 years ago, so I won't claim to know about them.

As you go further east, you get into mostly Forest Service campgrounds, which often close after Labor Day. I have not camped in any private campgrounds in that area.

Be aware that late October 31 is the beginning of elk hunting season in Eastern Washington, and so there will be competition for camp sites from hundreds of elk hunters starting a few days before.
Thanks you, that's the kind of information I need. :-)
Old 07-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've given up trying to predict winter weather based on past years. The entire year of 2020 has turned into.... hold my beer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
You should be good as far as road conditions. Winthrop & Twisp has RV parks on the east side of the Cascades if you choose that type of stay over. Beautiful scenery over highway 20 & easy haul from Sumas to Winthrop for a day’s drive. You’ll want to check out Central Washington sights as well if you have time. Grand Coulee dam & Dry Falls / Sun Lakes area is pretty interesting geology. RV parks by Banks lake, also State Parks if open for camping at SteamboatRock & Sun Lakes.Easy drive to I 90 from that area to head east towards Montana, alternately head further south thru Washington state to Richland \ Pasco area grab I82 to Hermiston & next you’ll know your on another beautiful drive along I 84 thru northeast Oregon & central Idaho. Good luck !
Gasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 03:46 PM   #6

We did manage to tour part of WA when we headed to the Bandon rally a couple years ago. I can foresee a few more trips up that way, but hoping the virus situation settles enough to let us pick up our Escape in Sumas.
We have a gathering in NY in Sept that might not be doable unless NY lets us Georgians in without the current 14 day quarantine.
Attached Thumbnails
WA state.JPG  
Old 07-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
The good thing is you have choices. North Cascades is the best choice, but if weather is not cooperating, head to Stevens Pass. In the rare situation it is not acceptable, then Snoqualmie. Each subsequent pass is lower elevation than the previous, so weather will be different on all three.

Lived out there for 13 years. By October, the "rain festival" in western WA is on full tilt, but cross the mountains and you should see much dryer weather.
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:31 AM   #8

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
When we picked up our 21 in May of 2019 Rt20 opened early that year. I used this website from Washington State road dept to keep track of the route.
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/travel/high...s-highway/home
The route did not disappoint! We ended up spending 4 days exploring the area before heading towards Glacier NP.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 10:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 21NE
If all else fails you could cross the country to the south and head up I-5, just the 4,000' Siskyou summit at the CA/OR border to worry about. What's another 1,000 miles or so?
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 07:40 PM   #10

I think we might just take advantage of the low delivery rate to Missoula MT. We planned on visiting a friend in Whitefish before continuing to Sumas, and going to see Mt Baker from the campground nearby Sumas, but based on fewer sites available along the route, competition from hunters, and chance of low visibility from rain/clouds we will probably head directly South from Montana and get back to GA in time to avoid the tax penalty for not registering within 30 days. Add to that the smoke may still be an issue. :-(
Thanks for the responses, we will definitely head back that way during a better time of year, perhaps on our way to another Oregon or Escape rally. :-)
Old 10-05-2020, 07:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
Should be cake.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote