Zion National Park - Tunnel - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-11-2020, 08:14 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
It broke my heart to cancel our two month trip this summer. Lots of hard to get reservations, and those were made before Covid...even harder now. I am in the process of working on making reservations for a trip to Utah in the spring...so far have had good luck getting reservations in national parks by booking six months ahead on the first day they are available to reserve, but there are places we will be looking to stay that are first come first serve and even in the spring I suspect that will be a challenge.

Hopefully things will smooth out somewhat, but certainly next summer will be at least as crazy busy as this one. Not enough to make me stay home, though, that's for sure - just means more advance planning and less flexibility adapting our itinerary on the fly.

We are heading out tomorrow for a few days at a local COE campground, Lake Georgetown - first time we will have been out since March, but just had to get the Escape out and go sit by a campfire. Planning a trip to Big Bend and west Texas in early December, I don't expect that will be a crowded time.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Hi,
We have the Escape 19 and wondering if we need to avoid/be careful of the "tunnel" at Zion National Park? From what I saw on the NP website, it looks like an Escape will fit without having to wait for the "one way" which you pay for.
Frequently Asked Questions about the Zion-Mt. Carmel Highway and Tunnel

Any vehicle that is 11 feet 4 inches high or higher and 7 feet 10 inches wide or wider needs the one-way traffic control service.

An Escape trailer isn't anywhere near those dimensions.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:28 AM   #23

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Last March we drove our 5.0 through the tunnel, into and out of Zion, without paying the fee and met cars driving from the opposite direction. The NPS measured us first and gave us a ticket for the return trip so measurement was not necessary the second time.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #24

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I had to pay. They were busy and they stopped traffic at our truck. Paid them, had to wait, drove thru.

Going to Moraine campground for a few nights. I could not talk anyone into joining me. Everyone wants to stay home. Neighbors are going up as soon as I come home. It's only a 45 minute drive.

I got in every campground we tried the "first come - first serve" approach. Just get there as early as possible.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 08:52 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Crowds

We are in a campground near Springfield Illinois this weekend. The Electric service area is near full and tightly packed at $20 per night. The tent area has long asphalt pads with room for the 21 and two vehicles at $10 per night. There’s nobody on our side of the road but us for 5 spots each way. Water nearby, clean hot shower and bathroom in the Escape, full batteries, what’s not to like. I predict a slight uptick when the Pandemic eases but not like it’s been this summer Especially on weekends.
I like to speak with an actual person and often call a park office and ask how crowded the camping has been before I go or reserve a site. They are honest and can give you tips.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
BC3AEDDA-2ABF-4C48-B2C7-368F967978C7.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2020, 09:05 AM   #26

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It is sad that we have not been out since last Halloween......just got my infusion schedule......every Friday until early December. So this year maybe over also.....
Old 10-11-2020, 09:40 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
I had to pay. They were busy and they stopped traffic at our truck. Paid them, had to wait, drove thru.
They likely saw a 5th wheel and assumed you were too large, even though you weren't.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:08 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Even though I haven't taken many trips this summer, there is a big RV park very close to where I live, and I often ride my bike through it. This was the summer of brand new rigs, often being towed by improper TV's and hitch setups, folks having trouble at the dump station, etc...I once saw someone jackknife their trailer and hit a tree at the same time. I'm hoping a lot of those folks will realize that RV'ing isn't for them, and/or it's not always exactly like the FB/Instagram posts they saw that inspired them to try it. And yes, I think the used RV market is going to be a buyer's market pretty soon...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:15 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
The last time I went through I lucked out - The one way traffic was going my way, but they waved me on without paying. That was with a 17 towed with a Tacoma...
Old 10-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #30

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Just got back from a week fishing trip to Sam Rayburn and Steinhagen lakes in east TX(both COE Lakes). Neither Twin Dikes at Sam Rayburn or Magnolia Ridge at Steinhagen were even close to full. Of 33 (I think) sites at Magnolia Ridge, only 6 of us there.
Old 10-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
The tunnel roof is rounded, not squared off, so a person wouldn't want to wander too close to the wall.
Yes, but that doesn't look like an issue for vehicles under their limit. The real problem appears to be staying out of the opposite lane in curves.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 02:56 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21NE (our third Escape)
I pulled my 19 thru it last fall. I was concerned too. I had no problem they were already controllong traffic. Watchman is the best!
Richard in Georgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #33

Trailer: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, but that doesn't look like an issue for vehicles under their limit. The real problem appears to be staying out of the opposite lane in curves.
That was the impression I got as well.
Raider47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 2023 1st Gen 23, Formerly a 2021 21NE
October in many N.P.'s is actually busier than during the summer months due to the better weather (less heat and/or humidity). Doesn't stop us from visiting, we just expect it and deal with it.
BatChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:33 PM   #35
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My back yard looks more and more appealing. I have no interest in being packed in with huge motor homes in a full service RV resort. I'm hoping that's where all these new camping enthusiasts will go.
my son, who lives in Reno NV, and frequently dual-sport motorcycles his way around the Sierras, says every fire road you could possibly squeeze a humongous RV down, there's a pile of them jammed into every possible parking place, been like that all summer this year, he's never seen anything like it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote