21' tongue weight under 500lbs - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-15-2021, 04:27 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21NE
21' tongue weight under 500lbs

I need help picking options that will keep my 21NE tongue weight under 500lbs. If anyone weighs there 21' Escape tongue and its 500lbs or less I would really like to know what options you went with. Below is some context to my decision making so far.

1350lbs payload for tow vehicle. 2006 Toyota Sequoia with 3rd row seats removed.
750lbs for Passengers. 2 adults, 2 kids in carseats and a large dog.
That leaves 600lbs for tongue weight and any cargo riding in tow vehicle.

I don't like the idea of maxing out payload. I am trying to weigh the pros and cons of the following options.

-ETI Front storage box: Increases weight by 100lbs.

-ETrailer.com front storage box: Saw this in the Rally video put out by Escape. David Hendrickson shows extensive mods for tongue weight and how these boxes weigh 37lbs instead of 100lbs like the ETI version. Not sure if lithium or 6V batteries would fit? https://youtu.be/Uc-FXuH2kZA
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Ton.../UWS01065.html

-6v golf cart batteries: Increases weight by 72lbs more than lithium batteries but wouldn't need a front storage box since you can mount these on tongue without much fear of theft.

-2x Lithium batteries: Reduces weight by 72lbs compared to 6v batteries but would need a front storage box due to fear of theft. Or I would need more info about moving them under dinette. Also concerned about ETI wiring/electrical not being able to handle lithium from what I've read on this forum. Leaning towards 6V batteries for now but don't like the extra weight.

-Front solar panel: Don't know how much this weighs. strongly leaning towards skipping front panel as they have been tearing off of 21NE's. Hoping to learn more about the recent modification ETI is making to how they mount them (lower to roof?).

-E2 fastway WDH hitch: Not sure what this does for tongue weight. These are heavy though and I can't imagine it being free extra weight.

-Trailer valet hand crank hitch jack: Another suggestion in the video by David Hendrickson. Weighs 10lbs instead of 30lbs for powered jack. Also should give clearance for the Sequoia rear hatch to open for our dog to jump in/out. Also since it can be powered by a drill it won't be too frustrating with the E2 Fastway WDH hitch.

-Powered Jack: Increases weight by 20lbs more than manual. I would probably get this if I can get confirmation that the rear hatch on Sequoia can still open.
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote