Alternative rear view camera - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-08-2021, 08:49 PM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernwig View Post
.... How is yours installed?
I don't have my Escape 5.0 yet, so no rear camera installed. I don't see it as an immediate necessity, didn't order it from ETI (never had one towing my casita solo since 2005). I'm blessed with very nice extendable tow mirrors on my F150 and lots of years of confidence-building practice using them.

As an aging solo traveler I do think a rear-cam could be a helpful convenience for backing into parking-space with limits / obstructions directly behind the trailer that aren't visible in the mirrors.

Having said that, I'm always gonna stop-short and get out to look at such situations closely anyway, setting a mini traffic-cone I've got as a 'backing target', just-short of such obstructions but visible in the mirror works pretty well for me; put the cone where you want the visible rear trailer corner and go-for-it, Bob's-yer-Uncle (one does learn a few useful tricks with experience)

Going down the road ... if some pinhead is following so close I can't see 'em in the mirrors I can't (don't) concern myself with 'em anyway
Old 06-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Going down the road ... if some pinhead is following so close I can't see 'em in the mirrors I can't (don't) concern myself with 'em anyway

Lowers blood pressure.
Old 06-09-2021, 12:11 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I use my rear camera the whole time I'm driving....I can see behind me and how close cars are on both sides.
Old 06-09-2021, 04:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2021 17B
Thank you all for chiming in. These helped tremendously. I am going with the ETI supplied camera option. While the DIY designs can save me some $, it is going to add to my long todo list. And it is comforting to hear that the ETI option works and can serve as security camera as well!. This helps justify it's cost some. I appreciate the need for better sideview mirrors, and will definitely get one. Sounds like having both sideview mirrors and backup camera, plus experience is the way to go. Submitted my 'final' options sheet earlier today!! Countdown to 9/10/21 begins....
EscapeVelocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 02:45 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Thank you all for chiming in. These helped tremendously. I am going with the ETI supplied camera option. While the DIY designs can save me some $, it is going to add to my long todo list. And it is comforting to hear that the ETI option works and can serve as security camera as well!. This helps justify it's cost some. I appreciate the need for better sideview mirrors, and will definitely get one. Sounds like having both sideview mirrors and backup camera, plus experience is the way to go. Submitted my 'final' options sheet earlier today!! Countdown to 9/10/21 begins....
I recently did my buildsheet and was told I cannot have both the upper brake lights and the backup camera on my 17b. I asked about suggestions for what's needed for adding a camera later and they suggested a "12v camera drop" for $40. I went with that and will figure out what to do with it later. Pickup is 6/21.
mel99203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21 NE
Quote:
Read about issues with the ETI rear view camera. Are there alternatives out there? Anyone using battery operated or rechargeable (vs. permanent mount), viewable on mobile phones? Finalizing options for 17B in a few days! TIA.
I tried a Type S brand wireless solar charged backup camera that connects to my iPhone. My 21NE is too long and the camera and phone can't stay connected because they're out of range. The camera works fine as a backup camera for my pickup truck but the added 21' is too much.
Jeff Thoelke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:22 PM   #27

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
I added my own rear wireless camera before our last trip. I still rely on my mirrors for best view, but I find the rear camera very useful for confirming what is directly behind me while driving and while reversing. (Sometimes cars follow so closely that you can't see them in your mirrors)
I had to back up at a gas station and although my mirrors would let me know if a car was behind me (as long as they were offset enough for them to be visible), the rear camera provided confirmation that there were no cars or people dirctly behind our camper. I mounted the camera to the rear solar panel frame, and I ran the power wire the same as the solar wiring, down the fridge vent of our 19', so no extra holes in the camper. I wired it so it is hot all the time, and the monitor can be turned off in the tow vehicle when not needed.
The wireless range is very good, I was able to pick up the camera image when we returned to the campground from over 100' away!
The monitor has the ability to split the screen or alternate between two cameras, and the company provides the option to get an additional camera for free.

Another option that I haven't tried, is a Garmin GPS. Some models allow adding a battery operated rear view camera that can be seen on the compatible GPS device using voice commands, although I'm not very impressed with the voice command function on my Garmin. If I say "hospital" it will ask me if I said "high school" or "home depot". Must be my South Philly accent. :-)
Attached Thumbnails
Camera.JPG  
Old 06-16-2021, 12:41 PM   #28

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
we bought the camera but have never used it. I cant get the monitor to stay up so i can see it. I tried a few other gadgets to stick it to my dash board so far no luck. but we really don't need it.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 12:53 PM   #29

Trailer: 2012 B17
The best advice I received once was to get out of your truck and look before backing in especially in unfamiliar surroundings.

Cheers
Bobccat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:49 PM   #30

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Quote:
Read about issues with the ETI rear view camera. Are there alternatives out there? Anyone using battery operated or rechargeable (vs. permanent mount), viewable on mobile phones? Finalizing options for 17B in a few days! TIA.
I don’t know what issues others may have had, but ours has worked flawlessly for many thousands of miles. I rarely use it as we have towing mirrors, but the 5.0 is so easy to tow, that my wife loves to drive using he rear view cam as her rear view while driving.
She was never comfortable towing bumper pulls, but now, I will gladly give up the wheel and enjoy the surroundings. . .Matt
Steveanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 08:02 PM   #31

Have other 17b owners been successful in getting both the upper brake lights and rear view camera installed by ETI?
Old 06-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #32

Trailer: 2019 21 foot
What issues? Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years. Really don't use it to back up. More as a rear view mirror going down the highway.
dscottsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #33

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dscottsmith View Post
What issues? Mine has worked flawlessly for 3 years. Really don't use it to back up. More as a rear view mirror going down the highway.
Ditto for me, no problems and mainly use on the highway.
Old 06-18-2021, 05:22 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel99203 View Post
Have other 17b owners been successful in getting both the upper brake lights and rear view camera installed by ETI?
That's what's on my build sheet and ETI was OK with it. But they haven't built it yet!
jediwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:06 PM   #35

I was told I couldn't have both when it went into production. Good luck!

Tags
backup camera, rear view camera