Escape 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2013, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Smile Escape 21

I will be receiving trailer #3 in the production line on October 14th. Of the 27 Escape 21s sold to date, 6 are in our state of Washington. I'd like to hear from other Escape 21 soon to be owners. What are your options, ideas, and first outing plans? Modification plans sound funny at this early stage, but we plan on modifying the closet, bathroom, space between the bathroom door and the exit door, plus others we haven't worked out the details yet. One of the great things, other than the trailers themselves, are the people who own and love them. The comradeship build around these unique trailers, our experiences with them, in them, and with each other are cherished. Hope to hear from you, Tom
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:23 AM   #2

We're planning the following modifications: Bathroom; mounting a Marine T/P holder to keep things dry, two towel bars on the inside of the door, and a combination Toothbrush/Toothpaste holder with Paper cup dispenser, and a long mirror on the outside of he door. Closet: Reducing the hanging space to about 8" and installing two shelves about 13" wide. Space between bathroom and exit door; Design, build, and install a cabinet that will hold bathroom toiletries.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #3

Trailer: 2012 17B
I was up to Chilliwack Wednesday so probably saw your 21 building. Mine (CA) will be hatched Nov. 6 and I'll be picking it up shortly after (good lord willin and the snows don't fall over the Siskyous). I ordered almost every listed extra except the TV and stereo stuff. Will also be having shelves in the wardrobe and adding a wardrobe above the bedside drawers instead of the counter. Reace talked to me about your idea for the side of the door. It's a great idea! But I don't want shelves to the floor as -at last- there is a set up where one can put a trash can without tripping over it. I was thinking of a medicine cabinet type thing with a towel rack on it? But will take whatever he decides.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:33 AM   #4

Sally, nice to hear from you, and so soon after this post. I hadn't thought of adding another wardrobe above the bedside drawers, great idea! I'll run that by my wife. When I recommended the cabinet next to the exit door, Reece got all excited. It was great to see a manufacturer getting excited over a customers suggestion. He suggested making it out of thermoplastic which I think is a great idea. I don't think it will be available in time for our delivery so I'm going to make my own. The vision right now, prior to delivery and proper measurements, is a cabinet that's half wall height that can hold toiletries etc. The top will have a small rail to keep things in-tact, and there should be room for a trash can at the bottom. We want the upper area on that wall to have the hooks for hanging hats and jackets.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:36 AM   #5

Sally, I forgot to add, I'll be re-configuring our wardrobe closet. I'll be maintaining about 8" of hanging space on one side while the other will have two shelves about 13" in width. I did this in our Casita and it really helped out.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
The 21 seems to have more overhead storage than our 19, so you might not need as much shelving in the wardrobe. In our 19 we are easily able to store our clothes in the bins, and hang shirts and jackets in the wardrobe. We do have a layer of 'stuff' on the bottom of the wardrobe though.

Though, a reason to make my wife bring less than 8 different sweaters/jackets might be a good thing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2012 17B
Plenty of storage space for me in the 21. I could live in a 15. But there are these dogs, you see. And they need food, and dishes, and grooming equipment, and beds, and, and, and.
Sally P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #8

Jim, good reply, it got a laugh out of my wife. I don't think she'll give up on having choices though. We found that in our Casita we needed less hanging space then was provided for in the standard closet, but we needed more storage space, so the closet conversion. The 21 has a great deal more storage in it, but the converted Casita closet worked so well, we plan on doing it again. We'll do it ourselves because we haven't decided on the dimensions yet.
Tom
Old 08-30-2013, 12:27 PM   #9

Trailer: 17
Wow sure sounds nice, congrats. If you are able to post any photos when it arrives we'd sure love to see them or maybe is should say drool over them
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 12:38 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
go to post #35 of this thread where I list my Escape 21 options http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...ck-2536-4.html
I had an Escape 19 which I sold in anticipation of the 21' and I'm familiar with Reace's miracles. He said he was working on some sort of storage for the area between bath and door. I'm #12
Old 08-30-2013, 01:07 PM   #11

I can also say that when I converted my closet in the 19' to shelves, I had no space for jackets. That said you have 4 drawers in the 21' and a closet and a lot more o/h space than your Casita.
I have some tentative plans on cutting the closet in half vertically so I can hang 2-3 winter coats and then a hanging closet organizer like this Amazon.com: Whitmor 6351-1234-JAVA Fashion Color Organizer Collection Hanging Accessory Shelves, Java: Home & Kitchen
Do you have the dimensions of the closet yet?
Old 08-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #12

Jim, thanks for the build sheet. I saw it before but couldn't find it again. Our closet will be divided vertically like you suggested, but with stationary shelving. We have a need for hanging space, but not as much as provided in the standard closet. We do however need shelving space. I'll try to attach a picture of our Casita closet for reference. Our build sheet includes most of what you have here, but I do have a few questions: Aren't the standard axles EX lube axles? Is the front exterior light an option? What is a tire levee?
I like your idea of setting up two locations to mount the TV and will be adding that to our list. We are adding an extra access under the bed on the angle along with the standard access. I'm also asking for a pressurized shock to hold up the access cover under the mattress. We're also getting the oven option with a black hood and cover. We're asking Reace to save the drawers by moving them to the left. We're getting the spray foam insulation, but I didn't think about color. Is it normally in white? We're also getting the bed/bath wall and door re-enforced. We've asked for a switch to turn the interior overhead lights at the entrance door with the standard switch controlling the exterior lights. We're moving the thermostat mounting spot up out of the way of the TV. We'r moving the hot water heater switch next to the tank level indicators to keep it out of grandchildren reach. We're moving the AC outlet on the night stand up where the hot water switch was for convenience and moving the one in the bedroom next to the bathroom wal, along with another DC port. We're also adding an AC outlet on the closet wall just under the upper side cabinet (with a coax port) for the TV.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:44 PM   #13

I went with dc led tv/dvd so additional 120v outlets were not needed for tv, just dc outlets.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #14

Good call. The TV/DVD units, do they play Blu-Ray? If so, can you give me a make and model number? I just purchased a TV, but it's not opened yet.
Old 08-31-2013, 07:25 AM   #15

No, Blu-ray is another type of player, I got this one on Amazon, standard dvd player, I do not nor am I familiar with blu-ray players. Amazon.com: NAXA NTD-1552 15.6-Inch Widescreen HD LED TV with Built-in Digital TV Tuner and USB/SD Inputs and DVD Player: Electronics
Old 08-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #16

Aren't the standard axles EX lube axles? Is the front exterior light an option? What is a tire levee?
The tire levee is standard for export vehicles, exterior front light is an option, EZ lube axles is an option also.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #17

Escape 21 build

I think the forward light will come in handy for the storage box, and the EZ-Lube axles on my Casita made it easy to keep the bearings lubed, so I'm adding both of these options to our build. I don't think we'll need the extra current capacity of the double 6V batteries, but another 12V battery for $50 is a pretty good deal, so we're adding one of those too. I'm thinking seriously of having an HDMI cable strung between the Dinette upper cabinet next to the fridge and the cabinet above the End Table (where the TV is set to reside). We're having most all the walls re-enforced, Dinette/Fridge, Dinette/Kitchen, Bedroom/Bathroom, Closet, and Bathroom Door. This gives us options for personalizing it as we learn about the trailer and how we're going to use it.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #18

It is not another 12v battery, it is an upgrade from the stock group 27 battery to the group 29 which has 128 a/h reserve versus the stock battery is somewhere around 90 a/h. It is like getting another 40% increase in capacity.
You have not mentioned your tow vehicle.
Old 09-01-2013, 04:45 PM   #19

Tow vehicle

Thanks for letting me know about the battery, that explains the price. I'm towing with a Honda Ridgeline. It was great with our Casita 17'. We averaged 16mpg on our last 3000 mile vacation. Hope it works out OK with the Escape 21? I also tow with my 74 Bronco when I play in the sand, but I think the 21 will be too much to control. On another subject; My wife and I believe we saw a two tone graphic applied to a trailer in production. When we asked for the same we were told that they never do that. Were we seeing things, or are two tone graphics an option?
Old 09-01-2013, 06:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I think the forward light will come in handy for the storage box, and the EZ-Lube axles on my Casita made it easy to keep the bearings lubed, so I'm adding both of these options to our build. I don't think we'll need the extra current capacity of the double 6V batteries, but another 12V battery for $50 is a pretty good deal, so we're adding one of those too. I'm thinking seriously of having an HDMI cable strung between the Dinette upper cabinet next to the fridge and the cabinet above the End Table (where the TV is set to reside). We're having most all the walls re-enforced, Dinette/Fridge, Dinette/Kitchen, Bedroom/Bathroom, Closet, and Bathroom Door. This gives us options for personalizing it as we learn about the trailer and how we're going to use it.
Just a suggestion - I had Reace add an amplified cell phone antenna to my 17B, the antenna at the rear of the trailer and the amplifier in the front, driver's side overhead cabinet. Everything was fine until I damaged and had to replace the antenna. Since the cable was permanently attached to the antenna, I had to redo the entire run.

While I managed, it was a lot of work, including using an inspection camera to find a path behind the shower.

If you are going to make any kind of cable run from the front to back, my suggestion is to have them run a piece of 3/4" or even 1" plastic conduit rather than just the wire. If you ever need to replace the cable or run a new one, it is far easier to make a pull through conduit rather than a new run.