My Escape 5.0 Build - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #41

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
@NCBill - We did not come across this option on 5.0. The feedback on the bed in 5.0 seems to be positive and changing it isn't on our radar...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:35 AM   #42

Trailer: Considering a Fiberglass Egg
For those who asked about the 250 batteries, any news back?
MZL1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 07:50 AM   #43

Sorry, no clear answer. On the 250 Ah battery suggestion, I heard back that they cannot do it due to “QAI venting requirements”. I don’t know what that is but did not pursue it further. I understand that they are still investigating the possibilities and some solution might be possible. Hoping that will provide relief.

If there are other smaller dimension batteries with higher Ah, please let me know. The size of the 250 Ah battery was a bit more than 2 of 100 Ah batteries in volume. I believe there is a possibility that they allow customer provided Lithium battery option with higher Ah but equal or smaller size since their options are falling short. But, the time window for that is small and dwindling.
Old 01-30-2021, 03:17 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
Sorry, no clear answer. On the 250 Ah battery suggestion, I heard back that they cannot do it due to “QAI venting requirements”. I don’t know what that is but did not pursue it further. I understand that they are still investigating the possibilities and some solution might be possible. Hoping that will provide relief.
QAI is an RV certification program:
https://qai.org/z240rv/

It probably defines battery venting requirements based around lead-acid but it may not be current enough to reflect lithium installations that shouldn’t need venting.
Old 01-30-2021, 09:05 PM   #45

Thank you, rubicon327! This explains what they said to me...
Old 01-30-2021, 09:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post

If there are other smaller dimension batteries with higher Ah, please let me know. The size of the 250 Ah battery was a bit more than 2 of 100 Ah batteries in volume. I believe there is a possibility that they allow customer provided Lithium battery option with higher Ah but equal or smaller size since their options are falling short. But, the time window for that is small and dwindling.

The problem with the go power 250AH battery is it still can only produce a 100 amp continuous load . This is not enough for the 1500 watt inverter. two of the 100Ah would produce 100 each and combined a 200amp continuous load. this would work with the inverter.

https://gpelectric.com/products/250a...solar-battery/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 09:26 PM   #47

Thank you very much for explaining that. I did not understand that when I made the suggestion. ETI did not go for it anyway, so it is moot.
Old 02-02-2021, 04:39 PM   #48

I understand that the problem with offering more than 2 100 Ah batteries have to with the Canadian standards (CSA Z240) that have not been revised to reflect the low/no venting requirements of the lithium batteries. [Brian B-P had suggested that possibility.] And, the underlying ANSI electrical code LV 2020 was also not revised to allow unvented lithium batteries.

The US body (RVIA) has allowed it - but via new bulletin. In any case, ETI are bound by the Canadian code...

ETI is working on this. It is likely that there will be a resolution, but it is likely months away. So, folks who’s campers are being built in the near term (our delivery date is May 19th) might be out of luck...
Old 02-02-2021, 06:19 PM   #49

Trailer: 2021 5.0
I see you are getting the foam with heat pads on your options list, I am unclear as far as the heat pads usefulness if from what I’ve been reading they won’t prevent freezing of the pipes.
I am planning on leaving the winter behind in my 5.0, but periodically I will need to head back for short stays on business into the cold.
I do understand RV antifreeze is also a good remedy, but where do the heating pads work into any scenario.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:05 PM   #50

We are getting the heat pads and foam. We realize it will not prevent the pipes from freezing. But, I suppose there is some protection from insulation for both pipes and people, and ought to elongate the time to freeze the pipes...

There are long discussions with pros and cons on the forum. I have tried to read as much as possible but decided to include them.
Old 02-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #51

Thanks for the info, I’m new to the RV world but quite good with regular home maintenance.
For me what makes the lack of clarity on this matter even more confusing is that the company is based in Canada, one would think...
Communicating such matters to the sales department has been a waste of time, maybe there’s a tech support email I’m not aware of.
I have learned in the 30 years of maintaining my properties to not know the operational limits and requirements of equipment never turns out well.
Many times I’ve been in the hardware store picking up supplies and have heard the person working there give false information to a regular home owner-mainly plumbing and electrical-and I know what level of hell that customer was just sent on.
I’ve tried to help them out at times, but it happens so frequently that mostly I just TCB.
Old 02-02-2021, 09:59 PM   #52

Ooshkaboo - I have a very positive view of the sales person I am dealing with at ETI (Joldie). She has simply been outstanding - knowledgeable and sensible advisor and a good advocate for us.

I would encourage you to partner with your sales advisor. There is tremendously helpful advice and experience to be had on the forum - and that's been of incredible value. But, the ETI sales advice has been a good perspective to inform our decisions.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #53

That’s exactly my point...you were not given information that will help you below freezing, but if that works for you-ok.
I will let you know if I’m able to get any helpful information, bursting pipes can get expensive and I’m guessing not covered under the warranty.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:50 AM   #54

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
That’s exactly my point...you were not given information that will help you below freezing, but if that works for you-ok.
I will let you know if I’m able to get any helpful information, bursting pipes can get expensive and I’m guessing not covered under the warranty.
Escapes are 3 season trailers and I’m sure they will tell you that. The tank pads and foam are not a silver bullet. Other efforts must be employed to protect the trailer plumbing systems. Several of us have tried to explain this on the other threads you have also asked this. If you want a true 4 season trailer look at a Bigfoot or maybe Oliver.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:02 AM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think the 13,500 a/c will freeze you before it can cool you down, I'd opt for the smaller unit.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:13 AM   #56

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Jim I agree the 13,500 could be over kill, but we are also choosing it because it is quieter. I think we will have to run it on low to keep it from short cycling; therefore it should be even quieter. That’s my hope anyway. The noise of the Dometic is very annoying for me.
Old 02-03-2021, 10:37 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think the 13,500 a/c will freeze you before it can cool you down, I'd opt for the smaller unit.
Hi Jim, Wonderful to see you back!

Like brroberts says, the only reason for the Coleman unit is that is is believed to be quieter. My wife prefers quiet so much that we have to go for the quietest appliances. I was almost ready to do with out the AC as no AC is noiseless but she wanted us to have one in case we need it. That's how we ended up the Coleman AC.

Wishing you best of health!
Old 02-03-2021, 03:26 PM   #58

Not sure if the escape competitors-other than scamp-offer a 5th wheel, only thing I’d be pulling myself...I’ve had quit a bit of success by listening to those that know of what they are speaking of and ignoring those not willing to say the words- I don’t know- most just know to keep quiet when they don’t know.

————————————————————————————————————————————— —

Assumptions are the foundation of failure (Ooshkaboo)
Old 02-03-2021, 04:28 PM   #59

@Ooshkaboo - I regret to point out this is not the topic for this thread. I have been hoping to get advice on the very specific build decisions that I am to finalize in 2 weeks.

I encourage you to raise your queries in a thread of their own. You will get the best and most relevant response there.
Old 02-03-2021, 06:19 PM   #60

-KAVM-
As you pointed out in your opening of your thread, you are looking for feedback, especially due to you lacking of abilities to do things yourself...we all have our strengths and weaknesses, very good you recognize yours as that can be very helpful in this mechanical maze.
Since your times up soon, you may want to reconsider the spray foam from what feedback I’ve been getting elsewhere.