No Reason to Buy Used? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2019, 06:02 PM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I replaced three rivets on the 19 belly band. They were there when we picked up the trailer in Arizona. I had a magpie make a bad decision and he made contact with the top of the windshield on the Highlander at about 65 mph. He thumped off the trailer right at the belly band and left a few feathers behind. Popped those heads right off. I drilled them out and put in new ones. No leaks ever. In Tennessee, some cretin inspecting trailers, pulled a couple of feet of belly band out on our 21 in two places and left it. I did not see him do it, but know he did because another camper saw him pulling on belly band on his 21. Probably a good thing I did not catch him as I hear those Tennessee jails aren’t fun.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-14-2019, 06:13 PM   #62

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Belly band will not help. We had a leak from a hole. Trust me. Are you going to Niagara?
Not this year, Algonac and Mississippi Rallies are our 2 for September. But I guess the water can get behind the band and enter the hole. I'll check mine tomorrow as well as the battery water levels.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:16 PM   #63

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
New or used? The choice is easy--its the one you make for yourself and choose to live with. There is no absolutely correct answer.

For us, we were waiting for Marant's seller to get home because he lives just a few miles up the road from us, but Marant bought it before we could see the trailer. Turned out that there was another 17B for sale in the same town that we did get a look at, but it had no AC and had no wiring for retrofit, thus we passed on that one. My wife also wanted a larger dinette, so we concluded we needed to be looking for a 19. Luckily, we found one of those just as it came on the market, and bought it as soon as we had the opportunity to inspect it.

Its 1st gen model, lightly used and well cared for. We do expect to encounter some problems, but after 14 years of enjoying (and repairing) our A-Liner, I'm not too worried about keeping this one running.

I told my baby brother about Escape trailers soon after discovering them because he had been looking at A-Liners and Casitas, but he surprised me when I called to tell him we had bought a used Escape by telling me he had just ordered a new Escape 21 from the factory for delivery at the end of September. It will be interesting to compare notes as time goes by. We are both convinced we each made the right decision, and I think we are both correct! You will be too.

George
George Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:28 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Buying used over new? Yeah I can see why. If you're working you have limited vacation time and OH LOOK long holiday weekends... about five a YEAR during good weather. You want your kids to experience building a campfire, eating smores, maybe learning to fish. Yep it's in your budget NOW. And Yes, you can wait a couple more years until you have ALL the money for YOUR OWN build. In the meantime, life is passing by.... You can always, always make more money. But you can never, ever earn more time....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #65

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Here's what you do. Remove a section of the belly band by pulling it out of the track. You will be able to push its back in easily when finished. Look to see if a rivet is missing or if the center of the rivet is missing. Then take a straightened out paper clip and gently slide it in the rivet hole and feel for a light tap of it hitting metal. If the rivet is missing or if the center is missing or if you can feel the paper clip not hit metal water can enter there. If you need to plug the hole push some silicone into it and then cover the whole hole area. Let dry and replace belly band. Hope this helps. Our 2017 19 had 3 defective rivets/holes. Once sealed it has been perfect. Hope this helps.
Or just dab sealant on all of them - just in case. That is standard practice on a Casita as the hole in the middle isn't the only place water can get in.

For owners that upgraded from a Casita to an Escape, rivets are nothing to worry about. We have replaced a number of them on the Casita but only one on the Escape and that was when it was new. Haven't replaced one since.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I have bought both new and used and have ended up with good products in both cases (however, they were both manufactured during the same year, LOL). Since 2013, I have been to the factory at least 6 times (the last a few weeks ago). I always enjoy crawling around in the new (display) models to see how the new trailers compare to my existing. From my own observations (and from being active on this forum for the past 7 yrs, I have not seen any degradation in quality of the new Escapes. That being said, I have not always agreed that changes made to the new Escapes were to my tastes (such as thermal frameless windows, power awning, and deletion of backsplash), but I do not believe that the quality of the new builds has suffered.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #67

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Johnson View Post
New or used? The choice is easy--its the one you make for yourself and choose to live with. There is no absolutely correct answer.

For us, we were waiting for Marant's seller to get home because he lives just a few miles up the road from us, but Marant bought it before we could see the trailer. Turned out that there was another 17B for sale in the same town that we did get a look at, but it had no AC and had no wiring for retrofit, thus we passed on that one. My wife also wanted a larger dinette, so we concluded we needed to be looking for a 19. Luckily, we found one of those just as it came on the market, and bought it as soon as we had the opportunity to inspect it

Its 1st gen model, lightly used and well cared for. We do expect to encounter some problems, but after 14 years of enjoying (and repairing) our A-Liner, I'm not too worried about keeping this one running.

I told my baby brother about Escape trailers soon after discovering them because he had been looking at A-Liners and Casitas, but he surprised me when I called to tell him we had bought a used Escape by telling me he had just ordered a new Escape 21 from the factory for delivery at the end of September. It will be interesting to compare notes as time goes by. We are both convinced we each made the right decision, and I think we are both correct! You will be too.

George

Sorry, George. Glad it worked out better for you after all. So far I have replaced the awning fabric, flooring, stove hood and painted some of the walls. Now shining it up.
Just what we wanted.

Mike
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 03:18 PM   #68

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I don't expect any change in quality with the new owner but who knows? to say the quality is going to go down hill seems pretty premature. There are occasional quality issues with the trailers and there have been a few people on the forum with valid complaints for as long as I've been here. Most are happy and even the ones with complaints are usually satisfied with the fix/repair.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:05 PM   #69

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i bought used first then new. i loved buying new because i enjoyed the process decorating, picking out the options, buying stuff for the trailer, i really had fun!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #70

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Marant, it's been great fun following your revamping of your 17B. We've learned a lot following along, and I'm certain we are not the only ones to feel this way. I'm sure your "sorry" comment was written with a wry grin, as it should have been!

Perhaps we will meet on the road some day.

George
George Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:00 AM   #71

Trailer: Purchased Escape 5.0 TA Feb 13 2020
My observation over the last few years is that the used Escapes tend to sell almost immediately after posting! I have been in the mkt for over a year and have never been able to get in line quick enough! They are such great rv’s anyone that knows about them wants one. Prices usually are near or at the orig purchase price. I finally gave up and ordered a new one 5 mos ago, it starts thee build in Oct; finished and Dec _ thats my story))
GeorgeDoesIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #72

Trailer: 2017 19' Escape "Cattyshack"
Good idea, you can enjoy it sooner instead of looking for a used one.
NCopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:39 PM   #73

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
As far as buying used....

Well we waited for 2 years for a reasonably priced 19 to come available. We sold our Escape 17B in the spring not expecting to go without all summer. Only maybe 10 have changed hands in the last 6 months. Most used units were priced near or above replacements. Many justified the price because of extras, stuff I didn’t want, or wouldn’t order. Frustrated we started looking at other manufacturers. We narrowed it down to a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser, aerodynamic, fibreglass sheet warped from the front all the way to the back bumper like an R Pod, fairly light. But after viewing a few and looking at the depreciation, 35k to 12k in 5 years, we new there was only one option. BUY NEW. We pick up a new unit next spring, AC really was the only option I needed. New 34k.

I figure we can use it for 5 years and sell it for 40k, seems to be the trend.

Oh, Escape builds the best trail, keep your Airstream
Old 09-26-2019, 02:22 PM   #74

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
As far as buying used....

Well we waited for 2 years for a reasonably priced 19 to come available. We sold our Escape 17B in the spring not expecting to go without all summer. Only maybe 10 have changed hands in the last 6 months. Most used units were priced near or above replacements. Many justified the price because of extras, stuff I didn’t want, or wouldn’t order. Frustrated we started looking at other manufacturers. We narrowed it down to a Gulfstream Vista Cruiser, aerodynamic, fibreglass sheet warped from the front all the way to the back bumper like an R Pod, fairly light. But after viewing a few and looking at the depreciation, 35k to 12k in 5 years, we new there was only one option. BUY NEW. We pick up a new unit next spring, AC really was the only option I needed. New 34k.

I figure we can use it for 5 years and sell it for 40k, seems to be the trend.

Oh, Escape builds the best trail, keep your Airstream
Just wondering ? You didn’t feel sellers prices were fair but you feel you can sell your 5 year old for more ? If we ever sell we will take into consideration our trailer reflecting that price with what we have in it . And the fact it is one of a kind . The buyer can always go new like you did . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:20 PM   #75

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
... Most used units were priced near or above replacements. Many justified the price because of extras, stuff I didn’t want, or wouldn’t order.
I think this is a good point: options and customizations increase the cost of a trailer, the value to the buyer who wants them, and logically the reselling price. That's fine if you would have ordered them, but not if they're not your personal preferences. Buying new lets the buyer choose the options and customizations that are right for them, not for someone else. Anyone buying with an intent to later sell should consider what the next owner might want, and be willing to pay for.

This is the same with motor vehicles, of course. If you want the trim level, colour, etc. of the used vehicles available for purchase you're in luck; if everyone else thinks that leather seats are valuable and they are of no value to you (or you actually dislike them), used cars with leather seats won't be a good deal to you... but there's nothing wrong with them having a higher resale price.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:30 PM   #76

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Just wondering ? You didn’t feel sellers prices were fair but you feel you can sell your 5 year old for more ?
Think that was kind of tongue in cheek, at least that's the way I took it
Old 09-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #77

No reason to buy used

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregandTeresa View Post
Think that was kind of tongue in cheek, at least that's the way I took it
Pat
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Probably won't be selling our 19 until it's offered in the Estate Sale.
Could be many years from now, could be next week. Keep checking back.
I most likely will not be involved in the pricing...
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:57 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Probably won't be selling our 19 until it's offered in the Estate Sale.
Could be many years from now, could be next week. Keep checking back.
I most likely will not be involved in the pricing...
Your funny Greg ! Pat
Old 09-26-2019, 05:07 PM   #80

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think this is a good point: options and customizations increase the cost of a trailer, the value to the buyer who wants them, and logically the reselling price. That's fine if you would have ordered them, but not if they're not your personal preferences. Buying new lets the buyer choose the options and customizations that are right for them, not for someone else. Anyone buying with an intent to later sell should consider what the next owner might want, and be willing to pay for.

This is the same with motor vehicles, of course. If you want the trim level, colour, etc. of the used vehicles available for purchase you're in luck; if everyone else thinks that leather seats are valuable and they are of no value to you (or you actually dislike them), used cars with leather seats won't be a good deal to you... but there's nothing wrong with them having a higher resale price.
This is my point. I was in the dealership recently and a customer was very upset that his lifted truck with big wheels and the supercharger was worth about the same as what his buddy just got for his stock original truck. Just because you throw money at it doesn't mean you'll get it all back.