Government Shutdown - Camping Outlook - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-19-2018, 08:08 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I was on a photography trip in New Mexico with friends of mine in the fall of 2013 when the government shut down. Bandelier National Monument closed, as did some BLM land in the area. While driving home I passed by Valley of Fires National Recreation Area. It was closed as well.
Attached Thumbnails
govt_shutdown_sign.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #22

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
Trailer importation a concern?

We are planning to go to orientation and receive our trailer in Sumas on Jan 14th. During the last US government shutdown, does anyone know if the US border crossing stations and customs remained open as a part of essential services?
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:01 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I recall, during my tenure with the government, critical and essential personnel included law enforcement, to which DHS is now part of. On edit, just received this email publication with the following excerpt If a lapse happens, under long-standing policies, employees of those agencies would fall into one of three categories: “exempt” because operating money is available from other sources; “excepted” because even though a needed appropriation has lapsed they are kept at work for security, law enforcement, health or other reasons; and “non-excepted,” who are put on unpaid furloughs.
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
There's always plenty of free space on BLM land. Mike, I therefor recommend it as a proper base headquarters for anyone's trailer space command.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:08 PM   #25

Trailer: none
An updated article:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-en...-without-staff
Old 12-22-2018, 12:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
For those interested, the Long Term Visitor Areas at Quartzsite have closed the entrance stations (the entrances themselves are open), and as of this morning (Saturday) the vault toilets are open, as are the dump station & water fill stations at La Posa South. I guess camping is free until things are back to normal
Old 12-22-2018, 12:48 PM   #27

Trailer: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For those interested, the Long Term Visitor Areas at Quartzsite have closed the entrance stations (the entrances themselves are open), and as of this morning (Saturday) the vault toilets are open, as are the dump station & water fill stations at La Posa*South. *I guess camping is free until things are back to normal

As long as staffing or money are not required, the facility will stay opened. The dumpsters will not be emptied nor the vault toilets cleaned.

Per the Washington Post.

“What happens to national parks and monuments?

They would stay open, but don’t expect to find visitor centers actually welcoming visitors. Historic homes and national monuments that shut down at night would be closed. If a bunch of snow falls on a park with an area that needs plowing, the snow would stay put, the plows would stay parked and those spots would be inaccessible.”
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:56 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
New Career

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
For those interested, the Long Term Visitor Areas at Quartzsite have closed the entrance stations (the entrances themselves are open), and as of this morning (Saturday) the vault toilets are open, as are the dump station & water fill stations at La Posa South. I guess camping is free until things are back to normal
Jon Vermilye: Our Man On The Ground. Great to hear from you Jon and get a report directly from a man on site. I’ll bet money that any report from Jon doesn’t have any fake news or lies in it.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #29

And bring your own TP, Jon, because the toilets will not be restocked.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:26 PM   #30

hmm, an enterprising person could make a quick tidy profit selling t/p are exorbitant prices. I remember when CHP closed I40 in the Sierra Nevadas and only allowed those with chains through, being from Maryland we carried chains. But an enterprising individual was selling some out of his trunk for $200/pair....location , location and timing.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:30 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Must be thinking I-80 perhaps; I-40 dead-ends at Barstow and doesn't go through the Sierra Nevada.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:38 PM   #32

No, it was I40 heading towards Flagstaff, in fact we got snowbound, even with chains about 3 miles before Flagstaff and had to be towed down the mountain to Flagstaff. AAA would not come but someone with a old Ford pickup and a rope pulled me down, that was an experience...
Old 12-22-2018, 01:44 PM   #33

I normally drive slow with chains and had my 66 Mustang with snow tires. But driving 20 mph the vibration was pretty bad plus the trucks would fly by me. So I sped up to about 40 mph and it smoothed out on the snow. But the vibrations were still there, just not felt. Going up a hill I started to slip and looking at my tach I realized the motor was fine but the wheels were not. The vibration over 3-4 hours caused me to blow out my seals in the transmission. The service station offered me plane fare for my car, but I bought a case of fluid and put some bleach in my transmission. The bleach swelled the seals and I made it o Oklahoma City where they blew out again. A transmission place there replaced the seals for $40 and I drove home.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:07 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I normally drive slow with chains and had my 66 Mustang with snow tires. But driving 20 mph the vibration was pretty bad plus the trucks would fly by me. So I sped up to about 40 mph and it smoothed out on the snow. But the vibrations were still there, just not felt. Going up a hill I started to slip and looking at my tach I realized the motor was fine but the wheels were not. The vibration over 3-4 hours caused me to blow out my seals in the transmission. The service station offered me plane fare for my car, but I bought a case of fluid and put some bleach in my transmission. The bleach swelled the seals and I made it o Oklahoma City where they blew out again. A transmission place there replaced the seals for $40 and I drove home.
Loved that story It was like a who dunnit, never saw the ending coming! BLEACH, never heard of that one.
Old 12-22-2018, 02:56 PM   #35

Yes, it is a one shot chance as afterwards the seals are no longer pliable.
the gas station was trying to take advantage since I was in uniform and had to get east in 5 days, that said the OKC garage said the seals were lifetime warranted and if I got back East and they failed, he would refund my $40. Two extremes from the same situation.
Old 12-22-2018, 07:43 PM   #36
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
hmm, an enterprising person could make a quick tidy profit selling t/p are exorbitant prices. I remember when CHP closed I40 in the Sierra Nevadas and only allowed those with chains through, being from Maryland we carried chains. But an enterprising individual was selling some out of his trunk for $200/pair....location , location and timing.
side of the road chain sales are supposed to be illegal. but as long as you were discreet, I'm sure you could get away with it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #37

Thumbs up

From a news item I just read.

“Arizona and Utah officials implemented funding plans to keep open Grand Canyon, Arches, Bryce Canyon and Zion national parks.

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert said travelers planned their visits months in advance and his state wants them "to return home with memories of magnificent vistas and welcoming people, not locked doors”
Old 12-22-2018, 11:01 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Sounds like those two Governors appreciate a party
Old 12-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sounds like those two Governors appreciate a party
No pun intended.....
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I heard they were cutting down oak trees and planting maple.
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote