Look at em go. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2017, 10:35 AM   #41

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I was just on the Casita Facebook group. Someone is right now ordering a 17' Casita.. with "all the bells and whistles." THEN, they'll go to Little House Customs and have modifications done to the tune of several more thousand dollars. They expect to spend over $25,000 by time they're done.

Currently, a US buyer can get a well-appointed 17B Escape Trailer for less than $23,000. AND, it's a better built trailer than Casita too. Wish I could tell them, but the admins forbid discussing any other brand in that group.
Can you not just send them a personal message and point them towards an Escape trailer?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:47 AM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I could, but this is ongoing with people who buy Casitas without knowing or checking other brands. I'd spend my day PMing people. As much as I'd like to help them, I really don't want to spend my time.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Check out a sticky forum like the Jayco. Thread after thread complaining of their trailer basically falling apart. Dealers don't care, they have their money, and they didn't build it. Whenever someone has the bravery to suggest an alternative there, such as a molded fiberglass trailer that actually retains it's value, they are quickly hushed.

It's not my job to warn anyone about any RV - be it sticky or fiberglass or whatever. As Donna says, if you did that, that's all you would be doing. If asked directly, let them know. Otherwise, NMP. Besides, it's not all doom and gloom. I know several people who are quite happy with trailers I would consider junk (and I'm not talking about a Casita).
Old 09-08-2017, 11:27 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Be there for Feb and Mar.
I'm hoping to head that way in late Nov and be there until March. Tucson and Sedona mostly.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:35 AM   #45

Trailer: Looking for 15b
I think it is important to remember that one brand of trailer does not fit everyone's needs. I actually miss several things about my Casita (bigger bed, bigger bathroom, ac standard, more open interior etc) and can see that the Escape 17 would not meet everyones needs for a 17 foot trailer.
I do agree that lots of people who buy Casitas do not look at Escapes which they should for sure.
I also think that if there was an equivalent of Little House Customs near Escape they would be busy as most of the mods they do some people might quite like on their Escape
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We did look at an Escape when we were looking for a new trailer .
We ordered a Casita for several reasons that made sense to us but may not to Escape owners . Our Casita has served us well for 4 years and for close to 30,000 travel miles .Whether an Escape is a better value is a personal choice but we can certainly understand why Escape owners have come to that conclusion.

As Donna D has often said go with what you have and make some memories. Owning a Casita or Escape or a Scamp certainly allows you to accomplish that goal.
All the FG trailers offer value IMHO
For us we will love the one we're with !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:54 AM   #47

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The places we prefer to camp differ from those that buy these other units, as some just would not fit, and the smaller ones suffer more wear than a moulded fibreglass trailer would.
One of my favorite places to camp has a maximum trailer length of 22 feet.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:05 PM   #48

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
I think it is important to remember that one brand of trailer does not fit everyone's needs. I actually miss several things about my Casita (bigger bed, bigger bathroom, ac standard, more open interior etc) and can see that the Escape 17 would not meet everyones needs for a 17 foot trailer.
I do agree that lots of people who buy Casitas do not look at Escapes which they should for sure.
I also think that if there was an equivalent of Little House Customs near Escape they would be busy as most of the mods they do some people might quite like on their Escape
North Shore RV in North Vancouver, not that far from Chilliwack does do renovations and RV Modifications. I am looking to them to do some mods on the 17B that I plan to purchase soon, including changes to the kitchen cabinet, flush mount stove and replacing existing furnace with a Propex, freeing up space in the kitchen. Having a meeting with them later today in fact.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:21 PM   #49

Trailer: Looking for 15b
Keep us updated Sean, sounds interesting.
I still love that full length pantry by the door that the owner of Sarandipity 17b had done, one of my favourite mods, maybe one day
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1046.JPG  
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:28 PM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
North Shore RV in North Vancouver, not that far from Chilliwack does do renovations and RV Modifications. I am looking to them to do some mods on the 17B that I plan to purchase soon, including changes to the kitchen cabinet, flush mount stove and replacing existing furnace with a Propex, freeing up space in the kitchen. Having a meeting with them later today in fact.
If going with a Propex heater, I would recommend you have Escape install no furnace, as I have installed a Propex before, and the intake and exhaust are usually under the trailer through very small pipe. There is also a marine vent they make that can go on the side. If I was using one, I would use the model that mounts under the trailer to save even more room.

Escape install a flush mount stove/sink combo for me in my 2009 19. Have you asked them if they would still do that, it might save a bit.

What you are doing is just another example of what I always tout, and that most mods can be done afterwards. If I lived closer to Escape, I might consider doing many of them for others as I enjoy the work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:38 PM   #51

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Quote:
I still love that full length pantry by the door that the owner of Sarandipity 17b had done, one of my favourite mods, maybe one day
That is a seriously cool mod....adding it to my list.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:40 PM   #52

Quote:
If going with a Propex heater, I would recommend you have Escape install no furnace, as I have installed a Propex before, and the intake and exhaust are usually under the trailer through very small pipe. There is also a marine vent they make that can go on the side. If I was using one, I would use the model that mounts under the trailer to save even more room.

Escape install a flush mount stove/sink combo for me in my 2009 19. Have you asked them if they would still do that, it might save a bit.

What you are doing is just another example of what I always tout, and that most mods can be done afterwards. If I lived closer to Escape, I might consider doing many of them for others as I enjoy the work.
I wished you lived closer too. What you have done on your trailer is most admirable. I have been talking a lot with ETI and yes having the furnace delete is what I was planning, and in it's place I was going to have a couple of drawers installed. As for the flush mount stove, they will not install one without removing the existing two drawers, which seems odd, as the clearance is the same as what is on the 19's, and they will install a flush mount on them. They did suggest doing it after market.
As for the propex my thoughts were to have it installed under the bench seat on the passenger side of the front dinette. The bigger propex still doesn't take up that much space. I might be wrong but I think the Propex outside mounted units don't have as much capacity as the bigger Propex units. The bigger units put out just under 10,000 BTU's so just a bit under the standard heater in the 17.
Doing all these little mods just makes it more fun in my opinion
Old 09-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #53

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Be careful what you wish for, Jim. Some of us who have seen your work may just be willing to travel to Alberta!
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:44 PM   #54

Quote:
When I first saw this mod I thought it was fantastic, though on the new 17 trailers there doesn't seem to be the space to do it. The older 17's seemed to have a bit of space between the cabinet and the entrance, unless when she did the mod for the pantry she adjusted the whole cabinet.
Old 09-08-2017, 02:52 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Be careful what you wish for, Jim. Some of us who have seen your work may just be willing to travel to Alberta!
Bring whiskey!

For after the work is done, that is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 09-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #56

Quote:

Hi Jim
I did confirm the outside mounted Propex has the same BTU's as the smaller Propex
HS2000 Propex 6500 BTU (Interior mount)
HS2211 Propex outside mount 6500 BTU
HS2800 9700 BTU (Interior Mount)
The HS2800 still only measures 415mm long x 210 mm deep x 120 mm high
They say they are quieter than the standard furnace, but I guess we shall see
Old 09-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #57

Quote:
Bring whiskey!

For after the work is done, that is.
What kind do you want, I am on my way
Old 09-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #58

Quote:
Hi Jim
I did confirm the outside mounted Propex has the same BTU's as the smaller Propex
HS2000 Propex 6500 BTU (Interior mount)
HS2211 Propex outside mount 6500 BTU
HS2800 9700 BTU (Interior Mount)
The HS2800 still only measures 415mm long x 210 mm deep x 120 mm high
They say they are quieter than the standard furnace, but I guess we shall see
I installed the HS2000 in my daughter's trailer, and it certainly does not take up much room at all, and is more than big enough to heat that Trillium 1300, even with the poorly sealed single pane windows. The noise comes more from the air movement blasting through the 2" outlet than it does from the fan itself. Definitely not noisier than the stock furnace.
Quote:
What kind do you want, I am on my way
Japanese, Irish, Bourbon, whatever! My taste buds always take me to a nice peaty Scotch from Islay though.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:39 PM   #59

Quote:
I installed the HS2000 in my daughter's trailer, and it certainly does not take up much room at all, and is more than big enough to heat that Trillium 1300, even with the poorly sealed single pane windows. The noise comes more from the air movement blasting through the 2" outlet than it does from the fan itself. Definitely not noisier than the stock furnace.

Japanese, Irish, Bourbon, whatever! My taste buds always take me to a nice peaty Scotch from Islay though.
Hard to beat a peaty Scotch....pure bliss
Old 09-08-2017, 03:45 PM   #60

Quote:
Hard to beat a peaty Scotch....pure bliss
Amen, brother!