RVs you had before your Escape - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-26-2017, 02:52 PM   #121

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We had a 2011 Class B Chinook. Took just one trip creeping down Little Cottonwood Canyon into Salt Lake City, brakes smoking, trailing drivers smoking, for us to say enough of that and move to a trailer we keep at the bottom of canyon drives like that. Our 17 B is also going by the wayside as we move towards an Oliver trailer. Absurd amount of money but it is the winter worthy trailer we seek.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 PM   #122

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We had a 2011 Class B Chinook. Took just one trip creeping down Little Cottonwood Canyon into Salt Lake City, brakes smoking, trailing drivers smoking, for us to say enough of that and move to a trailer we keep at the bottom of canyon drives like that. Our 17 B is also going by the wayside as we move towards an Oliver trailer. Absurd amount of money but it is the winter worthy trailer we seek.
Great choice for a well made trailer and 4 season to boot . Good for you . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #123

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
We had a 24' Layton which we kept up at Sunnyside Campground, Cultus Lake BC for 6 months during the summer and then stored over the winter. We had a large tarp built to extend our outside living area. We were up at Sunnyside for 12 seasons. Lots of great family memories. The Layton leaked and we moved into the world of Escape fiberglass trailers.

It was nice having a vacation spot within an hour of the city for weekends and summer vacation. But my oh, my do we ever enjoy traveling in our Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
CIMG2183.jpg   CIMG0350.jpg   CIMG0261.jpg  
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 09:49 PM   #124

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B, 2011 Ranger FX4
1) '72 Westfalia from '76-'82 (never made it outside of BC)
2) car camping out of an Audi Fox station wagon up & down the Pacific coast from Vancouver to San Diego four long trips 1-4 months each in winter & countless shorter trips '79-'85
3) '72 Terry 23 stickie '78-'83 -- this was my home away from home while working on civil construction jobs all over BC, but my family (4 of us) lived in it summers & many weekends
4) Cannondale T1000 touring bike '86-'99
5) '83 Westfalia from '86-'03
6) Marinoni Turismo touring bike '99-present. Retrofitted with BionX electric '16
7) Cannondale T700 touring bike (warranty replacement for broken T1000!!) '99-present
8) '79 Boler from '05-'15
9) '12 Escape 17B '15-forever!
10) Surly Pugsley fatbike -- next week if all goes as planned!

Keep on campin'!
Old 01-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #125

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Katrina and I started camping together in this tent. For our honeymoon we camped off of my old motorcycle, a '95 Harley Dynaglide. I know it doesn't have wheels, but I couldn't resist posting this picture of it with two of the best camping buddies a person could ever ask for (R.I.P. Emma and Wendy).

Click image for larger version

Name:	emma&wendy.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	21540

We continued to tent camp off my 2003 Electraglide until I admitted that my back couldn't take sleeping on the ground and riding all day. So we bought a Bunkhouse LX motorcycle camper. They were made in Chicago at the time. It was snowing in Illinois so we brought it home in the back of my truck.

Name:	camper in truck.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	21534

We've put at least 30k mikes on it with the bike and several thousand more with the car/truck. I had to mount one of those orange bicycle flags on it when pulling with my truck or the Jeep. Otherwise I couldn't tell if it was still there. It was so small that I couldn't feel it or even see it in the mirrors.

Name:	jeep.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	21535

I learned a lot about weight distribution pulling it. When you're pulling a 400lbs (loaded) trailer even adding or subtracting a few beers in the tongue mounted cooler has a big effect. Let me tell you, you REALLY don't want sway or porpoising when pulling with a bike. Pulls straight as an arrow when you've got it loaded right. If it's not loaded right you either stop right away and fix it or you'll stop very abruptly, and painfully.

Name:	ghostshouse.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	21536

It's kind of hard to see but there is a handy zipper on the tent so that you can reach the cooler from the bed.

Name:	cooler.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	261.1 KB
ID:	21541

Kinda funny we'll actually be going from a king sized bed to a queen in our 19. Im sure the real mattress and a bathroom will more than make up for it.

Name:	campsite.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	21537
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 09:59 AM   #126

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Jim and Katrina, seeing it at last year's Mississippi Rally, I was amazed that all of that could fit into the compact little trailer. Do you have your orientation/pickup day for the 19 all setup?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #127

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Tom, you and myself maybe the only repeat 19' owners here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Nope, Jenny and Ian Eddy too.
Me too! ...though not by choice, but some sort of FG providence. Really like the new features. I was tempted to look at the 5.0 TA last year but wanted flexibility in tow vehicles.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:39 PM   #128

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Jim and Katrina, seeing it at last year's Mississippi Rally, I was amazed that all of that could fit into the compact little trailer. Do you have your orientation/pickup day for the 19 all setup?
Yeah Eric, It still feels like we haul a ton of stuff in that little trailer. I'm sure it will seem like a lot less when we move into our 19. We're planning to camp with what we already have and see how we really use the 19 before we upgrade or buy anything new.

Our orientation and pick up are scheduled for Friday March 24th and the wait is killing me. We'll be bringing it back during Katrina's spring break so it's going to be a whirlwind trip. The plan is for me to drive out alone the week before. Kat will fly to Seattle right after school on Thursday. I'll pick her up at the airport around midnight and we'll head to straight to Chilliwack. Hopefully we get a couple hours of sleep at the hotel before our 8am appointment. Then we have 8 days to get home before we have to go back to work.

We're really excited to be able to be part of the open house at next years Mississippi River Rally!
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 09:24 AM   #129

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Trailers I owned

1.Tent
2.Stick Camper
3.13 Ft Boler
4.21 Ft Sticky Trailer
5.21 Big Foot
6.17 Escape
7.13 Ft Boler
8.!7 Escape

Molded fiberglass has been the most reliable for me, the oldest being an 1979 Boler which I had to pay double of what I paid for my first one. It was 39 years old and still going strong. Would like to try a Escape 5th wheel, someday. All my molded trailers held their value the best as well, some where sold for more than I paid for them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0577.jpg  
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #130
SCS

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I'll play. I just sold my 2004 Trailmanor. It was very roomy. I will miss that but the ability to use the 19' for overnights while in transit and for lunches and bathroom breaks on the road without having to level and open it will make up for the room I lose.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Trailmanor.jpg  
SCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #131

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
How about RV's I wish I had before (and if so, wish I still had)? I saw one of these, I think (Revell RouteMaster?; example photo from the web) a week or so back headed South on I-85 going toward Montgomery, AL (I was going the opposite direction). Aluminum cabin with fiberglass end caps. Sweet!
Attached Thumbnails
Revell Routmaster.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:13 AM   #132

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
How about RV's I wish I had before (and if so, wish I still had)? I saw one of these, I think (Revell RouteMaster?; example photo from the web) a week or so back headed South on I-85 going toward Montgomery, AL (I was going the opposite direction). Aluminum cabin with fiberglass end caps. Sweet!
so retro cool...the spare tire nose and those headlamps ....looks like a design influenced by the Jetsons show...
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #133

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: War Eagle... Here's a "No name" but patriotic one we snapped in a Florida driveway. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1040263.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:14 AM   #134

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
My pre-Escape camping accommodations typically used these:

Hey, we still use them nearly as much as the Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
tents_NSR.JPG  

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #135

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
How about RV's I wish I had before (and if so, wish I still had)? I saw one of these, I think (Revell RouteMaster?; example photo from the web)...
That's an Ultra Van, the Corvair-powered motorhome of the 1960's. That photo is featured on the Ultra Van Motor Coach Club website. To me, this is in the same category of innovative RVs as the GMC Motorhome.

The Routemaster is a classic British double-decker bus (and Revell is a company that makes a scale model of it). That would make a cool two-storey RV
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:35 PM   #136

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's an Ultra Van, the Corvair-powered motorhome of the 1960's. That photo is featured on the Ultra Van Motor Coach Club website. To me, this is in the same category of innovative
RVs as the GMC Motorhome.

The Routemaster is a classic British double-decker bus (and Revell is a company that makes a scale model of it). That would make a cool two-storey RV
I always enjoy reading up of these past exploits. Those Corvairs had pretty small engines if I remember right. I saw one at the racetrack here in Calgary in the mid 70's that had a 327 mounted in it. I can't recall how it was cooled, if it was at all. He just used it for the 1/4 mile drag race, then shut it down immediately as it would overhead fast.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:59 PM   #137

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I watched an episode of Gas Monkey Garage yesterday where they restored an old volkswagen and replaced the 40 HP stock engine with a 200 HP Porshe engine. It was a nice touch.
Old 03-01-2017, 04:27 PM   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
... Those Corvairs had pretty small engines if I remember right.
When I was in college back in the mid '70's, I went out several times with a girl who drove a convertible Corvair. She always wanted to take her car, and I was more than happy to ride shotgun with her. Nice girl. Great car. Fun times. Hard telling where either of them are nowadays.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:03 PM   #139

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
That's an Ultra Van, the Corvair-powered motorhome of the 1960's. That photo is featured on the Ultra Van Motor Coach Club website. To me, this is in the same category of innovative RVs as the GMC Motorhome.

Ultravan, So cool!

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 10:20 PM   #140

Quote:

Thanks for the correction Brian. I didn't know what it was and was just going by a photo of it I found on the web and what it was labelled (mistakenly) as. I wish I would have had the time to turn around and follow them to wherever they were going and see If they would give me a tour. But I had other obligations, and who knows how far they were headed. A double-decker RV would be twice the fun! I can envision the infield at Talladega Superspeedway filled with them on race day!