Veterans Day - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2021, 03:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Veterans Day

My continued thanks and respect for all who served this great country on this Veterans Day and every day of the year. Rita and I both had fathers who served in the European Theatre in World War II. Like many others we grew up respecting the toughness, durability, understanding and love from dads who, only a few years before, experienced some very dark days. Thanks to all the veterans out there for their service.

He’s not a famous advertising man or a famous football player but he will not lie to you. Loyalty is to be respected
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
64F9D37C-7DE2-4F33-A9CE-658C3C42AA73a.jpg  
Old 11-11-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I was drafted 1A in Spring of 1969 after a 5 year college deferment. Then while in boot camp that summer, Nixon eliminated the draft........... The positive side was my 4 year military time was subsequently added to my years with the Treasury Dept to give me 38 years government service.
Old 11-12-2021, 12:52 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Actually the last Vietnam era draft call was in December of 1972. Mr Nixon had eliminated student deferments (among others) long before that and had made service in Vietnam 'voluntary'.

With lucky lottery number 36, and status 1A even though a full-time freshman in the University of Texas School of Architecture, I received my draft notice in May 1972 and reported to Fort Polk for basic training on August 22, 1972. I did not volunteer for Vietnam, I was sent direct from Ft Polk basic training to Hawaii where I did my stipulated 2-year active duty stint as an 81C20 cartographic draftsman in the 652nd Engr. Bn. (Topograhic). I did not receive any tech / advanced training from the Army, was assigned the MOS by virtue of a "civilian acquired skill" (I'd been trained by and made maps for the Texas Highway Department while in high school).

During my stint we produced topographic maps of four provincial capitals in Cambodia, very similar to civilian USGS 'Quad sheets' with the interesting twist that all of the text and legends were in English, French, and Cambodian. Our source aerial photography was from U2 overflights and we had field books from covert ground surveys.

Similar to your situation in federal government, when I much later joined the ranks of State of Texas employees my military time was credited to my time for state retirement eligibility and retirement benefit calculation purposes.

Obviously I didn't 'ask' for any of that, but it was a maturing experience, the GI Bill did allow me to complete my Architecture degree without interruption to earn college funds, I certainly have no regrets about that un-planned sidetrack in life.
Old 11-12-2021, 03:13 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 E19
I put on the uniform in January 1968. Trained as an 11 Bravo. Spent the second half of my time as a 00F4B (Drill Sergeant). None of this skill set was applicable to civilian life. However, the time was well spent, as I met and worked with the 'Best' and the 'Worst' that this country has to offer. Still have my hat and sabre!
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We watched the oldest Veterans Day parade in the nation and the largest west of the Mississippi yesterday in Leavenworth KS. It was nearly an hour and a half long.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Talking Another veteran

I received my draft notice about three weeks into my third semester of college. I was able to complete the semester and I enlisted for a chemical MOS June 1969. Basic at Fort Ord then on to Fort McClellan home of the chemical school three months there then assigned to the chemical school for a year. Then on to Korea for 13 months got home 14 days before the start of the semester back at college. Although I did use the G.I. Bill to finish my bachelors. I now suffer from multiple herniated discs two spinal surgeries, diabetes, diabetic neuropathy, low testosterone, high blood pressure, both shoulders scoped both knees scoped looking at a knee replacement, and anemia. Little did I know the stuff I was handling was Agent Orange, blue, white, nerve agents, blister agents, anything that can kill you. Just some of it does is a bit slower than others. Out of the 12 of us they were assigned to the chemical school and then wound up in Korea spread out all over the place only two of us are left alive. All my buddies died of cancer or heart disease. All of them before they were 70 and I'm 72.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Past time to update- canceled my 5.0 ��
While I was never in the service, both my dad (an immigrant from Ireland) and my brother served. So hats off and deep thanks to all veterans out there. Along my travels, I by complete happenstance met a wonderful man by the name of Don Long at a park in California. He saw my van, I saw his van, and we started talking. Met again a couple weeks later, again by complete happenstance, he saw my brand new fiberglass roof, thought it a real beaut, and we had another wonderful conversation. Such a gentlemen! Turns out he is a WWII vet and Pearl Harbor survivor. I found his story, also by happenstance, and linked it below. One of many things I like about full time travel is the amazing people you meet.
https://youtu.be/De3heFYFwsM
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 07:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Thank you to all our veterans! We are forever indebted to you for your service.