17b "delete toilet" wet-bathroom build -- Experiences? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-15-2024, 02:17 PM   #1

Trailer: Still deciding
17b "delete toilet" wet-bathroom build -- Experiences?

I'm thinking of ordering a custom 17b "delete toilet." Rather than a hard-installed toilet, I will use a sanipotty. The shower and sink will function as normal, and the grey water tank will collect. as normal.

I have confirmed with ETI that Escape will leave the sink and shower, delete the toilet, and not drill a hole into the black tank. I can either choose no black tank or leave black tank for potential future toilet installation. This is not the composting toilet option, but a "no toilet, but can install toilet later" option.

My question: does anyone here have experience with "delete toilet" and using a sanipotty instead? What were your thoughts?
karliefoxk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
I have heard of people ordering no toilet on the 21C and then installing a porcelain rv toilet. The 21C has a larger wet bath than the 19 and 5.0, I'm not sure about the 17 but it is probably also the same.
I would recommend having the black tank installed even if you aren't going to be using it. It would be extremely difficult to install after you trailer is built and you or a second owner may want to install an rv toilet someday.

I believe that cassette toilets have come a long way from the old porta potties but with a grey tank that needs to be dumped anyway I would rather also just dump the black tank at the same time. It's really no big deal, and less hands on than the dumping and cleaning a portable toilet and less often.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Try the Trelino Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliefoxk View Post
My question: does anyone here have experience with "delete toilet" and using a sanipotty instead? What were your thoughts?
We used the regular ETI installed toilet for the first 4 years. Last year, we effectively “deleted” our toilet.

We switched to the Trelino Evo-L liquid separating toilet. Most call it a “composting” toilet, but we dispose of the solids before any real composting, and pathogen destruction, occurs. See NSF/ANSI 41 for actual composting toilet requirements. Trelino requires no vent or power.

Trelino is not the ETI composting toilet option.

We empty the liquid container every 2-3 days, with two users. We have two spare liquid containers, and we dispose of the urine in any restroom. Most people think the blue urine bottle is a water bottle. Quick rinse with vinegar, and the bottle is ready to use again. Check local requirements for dry-solids bag disposal. Most places, you can dispose of the solids bag in a trash recepticle.

Recommend the Trelino over a SaniPottie. With SaniPottie, you retain sewage, which requires a dump station or carrying the bottom tank into a public restroom. We used a Thetford Porta Potti 335 marine toilet in our van for several years. Tank cleaning is a pain when in a restroom. Glad we have moved to the Trelino.

There are many Trelino reviews on YouTube. Ruth Aisling is a good one. We have the Evo-L in our E19 and the Evo-M in our Sprinter van tow vehicle. Be sure to check out the various toilet heights for proper seating.

Hope this choice works out for you.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Quote:
.... I have confirmed with ETI that Escape will leave the sink and shower, delete the toilet, and not drill a hole into the black tank. I can either choose no black tank or leave black tank for potential future toilet installation. This is not the composting toilet option, but a "no toilet, but can install toilet later" option....
That's a cool set of options for your consideration, IMO, good on ETI!

Nope, no experience to share regarding what you're exploring, but I can understand your interests.

Have fun 'configuring' !
Old 02-15-2024, 04:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Rather than a hard-installed toilet, I will use a sanipotty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post

I believe that cassette toilets have come a long way from the old porta potties
My only experience was an extended camper van trip in New Zealand. The van had a cassette toilet. First, there's a distinction between a sanipotty and a cassette toilet. The traditional portapotty has the catch tank attached to the bottom of the toilet inside the RV. A cassette toilet has a removable tank but it exits to the exterior.

A country like NZ is set-up for RVs with cassette toilets. There's places to dump everywhere. North America, not so much. I can see for some types of use it'd be a PITA here.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom; toilet; custom