Is it just me... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 05:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2024 5.0 TA on order
Is it just me...

I was kinda under the impression that when ordering a new Escape that customers were at times providing them with items they would at least consider installing for you (even if at cost) or working with a customer on some minor changes. We’ve worked through our new build order now but can’t help feeling a little miffed, as everything was strictly their way or the hwy. I get that little requests can screw up production, but on the other hand dropping 80K and no one wants to work with you is kinda disheartening. I’m okay now, no not really.
Al Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Good question for Kosta.
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:22 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Can you give some examples of specific things requested and declined?

Back in summer of 2021 ETI agreed to undertake a number of my 'not on the advertised books' customization requests, even some which elicited "Hmmm, that's a new one, gotta check with the production team about that!"; some others were politely declined while always offering a logical reason for the things they wouldn't do.

Sometimes the reason given was 'too big impact on production processes' with a brief explanation of the process affected, sometimes it was concern about trailer physical integrity with a brief explanation of the concern.

At least at that time, none of it struck me as 'knee-jerk' or frivolous, they seemed to want to help me anticipate mods I had planned, and in the end it all worked out great.

But yeah, maybe things have changed in the interest of optimal production efficiency on their end.

Still, methinks ETI offers more opportunity for customization via advertised options than many if not most of their competitors.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:24 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Y View Post

as everything was strictly their way or the hwy. I get that little requests can screw up production,
their way now includes an unbelievable number of options that 10 years ago couldn't even be imagined. Count yourself lucky that you're ordering now and not 10 years ago.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:28 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
I was kinda under the impression that when ordering a new Escape that customers were at times providing them with items they would at least consider installing for you (even if at cost) or working with a customer on some minor changes. We’ve worked through our new build order now but can’t help feeling a little miffed, as everything was strictly their way or the hwy. I get that little requests can screw up production, but on the other hand dropping 80K and no one wants to work with you is kinda disheartening. I’m okay now, no not really.
On items of decor, where there are already options, customers can bring their own for Escape to install: upholstery, countertops, etc. And there are a lot of choices for electrical outlets, reading lights, etc. Quite a few here have actually complained that they are a bit overwhelmed by the choices that ETI offers.

So what kind of changes are you considering? I can imagine one: there have been a lot of complaints about the hitch couplers that Escape installs; some have gone to the trouble of having the originals cut off and more user-friendly couplers welded on. It would be nice to have options.
Old 02-14-2024, 06:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Can you give some examples of specific things requested and denied?
Asked them to lay an RCA cable (at my cost) in between where the TV and stereo would go. Was told no, it would have to be done aftermarket. May not be a big job for me later but being that I’m not familiar with what panels, etc are between the two areas, I thought it was a reasonable ask.

Wanted to do a different stereo, but they basically said theirs or nothing. They would do the wire drops but wouldn’t install the antenna (which I offered to pay for of course), which would make doing it after, in my mind, pretty difficult since then you would have the cabinets in place etc. Drilling the proper placement through the wall / fiberglass would be best done early in the process.

Anyway our order is complete now, but can’t help feeling off about the whole thing...
Old 02-14-2024, 08:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2023 5.0 TA
I ordered ours with things I certainly could have done myself but didn't want to do so I understand. Just to set your mind at ease, the RCA cable is going to be easy, PM me if you want pictures ahead of time. I hear you on the antenna, but again I believe I can see it in the upper cabinet so yes it would be nice to let them do it but I don't think it's going to be very difficult to do. If it helps, I didn't want to deal with the batteries, I ordered 4, I ordered the extra side hatch, but when they installed the batteries they installed them mostly over the inside of the hatch I paid extra for making the hatch unusable, so I had to remove all the batteries and move the boxes. It's in my skill set, just didn't want to do it. In the end I was and still am happy to have the camper. You will soon forget all about the cabling and antenna just like my having to move the batteries.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Kessenich View Post
I ordered ours with things I certainly could have done myself but didn't want to do so I understand. Just to set your mind at ease, the RCA cable is going to be easy, PM me if you want pictures ahead of time. I hear you on the antenna, but again I believe I can see it in the upper cabinet so yes it would be nice to let them do it but I don't think it's going to be very difficult to do. If it helps, I didn't want to deal with the batteries, I ordered 4, I ordered the extra side hatch, but when they installed the batteries they installed them mostly over the inside of the hatch I paid extra for making the hatch unusable, so I had to remove all the batteries and move the boxes. It's in my skill set, just didn't want to do it. In the end I was and still am happy to have the camper. You will soon forget all about the cabling and antenna just like my having to move the batteries.
Thanks for that. I still can’t figure out why my requests were blown off like that. Makes me worry that any possible future issues will be handled in the same myopic fashion. Doesn’t make a person feel like ‘a valued customer,’ that’s for sure.
Old 02-14-2024, 09:32 PM   #9

Trailer: NA
If you really aren't okay, what stage of the process are you in? Perhaps you'd be better off finding an RV that provides what you want as standard? Nobody likes to feel disappointed in any purchase, especially a huge one like this. Can you cancel the order and move on or are you past that point?

My experience so far with special requests has been excellent. i've had virtual meetings to review requests and options and all have been thoughtfully considered and responded to. However, none of mine have been "technical" more just the "fluffy stuff" - décor, tables, etc.

I hope you make the choice that's right for you and end up with the trailer of your dreams!
TheNiceFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:58 AM   #10

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
As someone who has spent a 40+ career in the manufacturing business I can understand your concerns.

The difficulty with a "production" facility and offering "easy to do custom things" is a constant running issue that I deal with nearly on a daily basis. A request as simple as " Can you put a 3/4" diameter hole in the face of the cabinet?" sounds like a simple request until you try to figure out how to accomplish that simple request at the point of execution on the production floor.

What mechanism is there to point out that request? Who notifies purchasing? How does the floor supervisor know to check that request? How does the supervisor get notified? What impact does that have on scheduling? Etc... Etc...

This week I had a very good customer scream at me because they just could not understand why we would not make this simple part because "You are a sheet metal shop right!!!!!!??". Like I said, I deal with nearly on a daily basis. It gets asked so often that my general statement now is: "We just don't do that".

Custom-Made To Order is a much different animal than Production-Made with Configured Options.

Good Luck!

FWIW, we do love our 2022 21C!
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:17 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: Al Y... That was then... this is now!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 02:33 PM   #12

Anyway, Jodi from Escape called me today saying she knew I was frustrated by the lack of agreement with my concerns. She was able to articulate their position and I must say her empathy and interest has left me extremely impressed. Just wanted to set the record straight here and accept some of the responsibility. Onwards and upwards.
Old 02-15-2024, 02:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Anyway, Jodi from Escape called me today .....
Thank you for sharing that update.

Wishing you the best with your impending new Escape !
Old 02-15-2024, 04:39 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
Anyway, Jodi from Escape called me today saying she knew I was frustrated by the lack of agreement with my concerns. She was able to articulate their position and I must say her empathy and interest has left me extremely impressed. Just wanted to set the record straight here and accept some of the responsibility. Onwards and upwards.
Hi, Al Y. Were you expecting a call from ETI, or did Jodi contact you unprompted? I was wondering if maybe Kosta was monitoring new posts on this forum and saw the frustration you vented then let somebody at the company know. Just curious.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakRV View Post
Hi, Al Y. Were you expecting a call from ETI, or did Jodi contact you unprompted? I was wondering if maybe Kosta was monitoring new posts on this forum and saw the frustration you vented then let somebody at the company know. Just curious.
She called unprompted cause I genuinely believe she wanted to make sure we were happy campers.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
Quote:
She called unprompted cause I genuinely believe she wanted to make sure we were happy campers.
Ah, good to hear. Perhaps our friendly visitor from ETI (Kosta) planted a bug in someone’s ear there to help you out. If so, this type of interaction between our forum and ETI would be beneficial to everyone.

Regardless, we’re glad Escape addressed your concerns and have you feeling confident in your purchase again. Good luck completing your build sheet, and we hope you don’t have a long wait to get out there with your very own Escape trailer built for you!
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote