table options 21C - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2024, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Rockwood 2318G
table options 21C

Well, I've been working on my build out sheet and the biggest sticking point seems to be the dinette. I prefer a U dinette, but my wife seems to prefer the standard. :-) Our compromise had been the U dinette with the swivel mount but now that the swivel mount is gone.... . I could get my own swivel mount, but am interested in other options. Our main usage data points:
-- adequate leg room, especially since we usually put our dog's bed under the dinette, but we do allow the dog on the seats so that he can look out the windows...he's quite the nosy neighbor :-)
-- most of the time it is just the two of us, but would be nice to seat the occasional extra person or two (and setting up a folding chair isn't a problem for those rare occasions)
-- like to use the dinette as a lounging area where one can sit back, put your feet up and either gaze out the window or towards the inside of the camper. (Our existing popup has both a sofa and a dinette...hoping to "recreate" that flexible convenience with the dinette).

I've been going over the forums, but can someone provide photos showing the standard 2 pole mount and the springfield mounts with both the standard table and the U dinette? Such photos would be most helpful in deciding.

As a side note, I've also contemplated making the standard dinette into a pseudo U dinette by using some pillows and a filler board with cushion, but do like the clean looks of the factory u dinette option.

Thanks a bunch!
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
21C standard table, standard legs… the photos make it look foreshortened but the benches are long enough that each of us can sit lounging on a bench with a cushion behind our back, reading or watching the DVD player etc. We had this same question until we saw an ambassador 21C in person and tried out the benches. Like you, we were split, wife/me wanted straight booth, husband wanted u-shape, husband kindly let me choose :-). Leg room and tabletop space on the straight booth are nice. I think the u-shape looks attractive but actually there is less seating space due to the corners being hard to sit in. If it’s just the two of you it could work fine. Dogs would have more floor room in the straight booth. Most people seem to choose u-shape. this is our 2nd Escape and I wanted the same straight booth again.

Edit to add: we have never set up the table as a bed. If you anticipate doing that a lot, the Springfield leg is apparently better. Otherwise we've always been fine with the original legs, at least after hubby did a little snugging up and stabilizing of the legs and sliders.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_8031.jpg   IMG_8024.jpg   IMG_8030.jpg  
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 05:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
It seems the standard gives you the most flexibility, if you are comfortable with doing some modifications like making it a pseudo U if you prefer. We have a 21NE F2 and have a U in front and a standard in back that we turned into a pseudo U lounge, we don't use the Escape table. We went with the standard legs but asked Escape to not install them so that we didn't have any screw holes in the flooring.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
With our U-shape, I usually end up in the corner with a pillow. But there really isn't a good place to put my legs. My wife sits normally, but complains that the seat cushions aren't wide enough. Are they wider on the standard-shape?

I think if I were buying new, I might go for the standard style.

I have a feeling that the L-shaped E23 version might offer more lounging capability. . .
Old 02-15-2024, 12:25 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
We have the standard dinette.

I lounge there very comfortably without any mods.

Pillow against back wall. Pull seat cushion by stove out about 5". Sit with my back against the cushion slightly angled out with my feet extending past the bulkhead.

Works for me.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:07 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, pulled by 2018 F150 EcoBoost
We started with the standard, two pole, mounted table in our 21C and hated it for three reasons.
1. The mounting cones that are fastened to the floor interfere with your floor space and allow no room for your feet. 2. The cones stick up several inches and don't allow a level surface where any thing can be stored. 3. The cones and poles often stick together meaning you need to beat them apart in order to convert the table into a bed. (Hint: A large 1 pound hammer does the trick!)
We switched to the springfield pedestal mount shortly after we received our trailer. It solved our basic problems with the standard cone & pole mount but created new problems. Because the springfield is a permanent mount, you cannot remove the table easily when you need to work in the storage area under the dinette cushions. Accessing the storage area under the dinette cushions involves working on your knees under the table.
Looking back, with the wisdom of experience, I would have ordered the U shaped dinette with the swinging table. The table is smaller but it leaves the floor space clear and the table can be removed easily.
HTH.
Peter Styer
Frewsburg, NY
pstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 08:41 AM   #7

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
We ordered the U-shaped dinette for our 21C because Shoji is a very spoiled dog and needs his own spot.

I was not aware Escape no longer offered the Laguna swing mount table but we love ours. It makes it super easy to get in & out of the seating and if Shoji needs to have his bed at our feet it is no problem.

I'm sure you will find someone here that add one after getting their Escape back home.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 09:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 Rockwood 2318G
I'm thinking now that I may still go ahead and get the U dinette (and maybe a filler board as well). If I go that route, I'll order the table unmounted, then just use a small folding table. That way, we still have a comfortable lounge area, and the table could still be easily inserted on the rare occasions it needs to be made into a bed. I'm thinking of getting the dinette counter extensions as well, so that should provide ample table space when it's the two of us.

For the rare occasions when we need the full size table, I'd probably build some sort of custom larger table using folding legs (though those occasions only come up once or twice a year for a weekend or so).
caheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 10:11 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
Quote:
Originally Posted by caheaton View Post
I'm thinking now that I may still go ahead and get the U dinette (and maybe a filler board as well). If I go that route, I'll order the table unmounted, then just use a small folding table. That way, we still have a comfortable lounge area, and the table could still be easily inserted on the rare occasions it needs to be made into a bed. I'm thinking of getting the dinette counter extensions as well, so that should provide ample table space when it's the two of us.

For the rare occasions when we need the full size table, I'd probably build some sort of custom larger table using folding legs (though those occasions only come up once or twice a year for a weekend or so).
Admittedly we don't have a 21. We ordered the U-shaped dinette and are satisfied with it. We have nothing else to compare it to so it just is what we have. We kept the table that came with our set-up and it fits the space to convert the dinette into a bed. It all fits, travels and functions well. The original table pole-mount is less than ideal and we plan to switch to a Lagun table this spring.

I can appreciate your plans of folding tables, filler boards and table top while you're trying to figure out what to do. From my perspective, my first thought is where to carry those extra pieces when you travel. Granted, your type of travel may be different from mine, but I prefer not to have loose stuff in the trailer that may bounce or slide and damage the walls, siding, etc. or have to be moved around to access things. Of course, YMMV.
Old 02-15-2024, 11:39 AM   #10

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Since we park our 21C at home I work from it quite often.

This shows spoiled Shoji and a ton of leg room under the table.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6518.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstyer View Post

Because the springfield is a permanent mount, you cannot remove the table easily when you need to work in the storage area under the dinette cushions. Accessing the storage area under the dinette cushions involves working on your knees under the table.
Remove the two "stop" screws on the end of the track and slide the table off.

I think that I've done that twice in the last 4 years doing mods. Other than that it's slide the table to the side, get stuff out etc. and that's it. Not difficult access with the table still in place unless you're doing mods in the area.

Ron
Old 02-15-2024, 02:03 PM   #12

Checked my battery water levels. No need to remove the table or it being a full size one on a Springfield.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0005_resize.jpg   IMGP0006_resize.jpg  
Old 02-15-2024, 02:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21NE "Escape to Margaritaville"
I have a 2023 21ne with the u shape dinette. Ordered trailer with Springfield pedestal, which was ok but I ended up ordering a Laguna table leg system from Laguna USA and installed it myself. I also bought an extra table bracket and mounted it to bench on the rightside, the other one is mounted at the back bench. This has given me a lot of versatility with the table. I also ordered Formica of the same color I have in the trailer and made me a new table. Table with is the same, just shorten it a couple inches. Makes a big difference. Got the matching Formica from a big box store. Same stuff.
All and all, this setup gives me a lot of movement and access to everything.

Cheers..... and Happy Trails to ya.... Jack
jack sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote